Users posting in the Activity Section

Why is there a Share text box in the Activity Section. It looks like users are posting questions and not getting answers.
Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
1 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

This change has been implemented.

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have no issue with getting PMs from any SU or Quicken mod, but I've already received two that should have been posted to the community. To make matters worse, see below. Doubtful, these will every get answered. I would propose PM be turned off for non-SUs and Qmods.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ghost seems to be very popular.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geoff, it seems whomever is listed as most helpful starts getting posts to their wall and/or private messages. 

If if they don't implement some blocking, we could try adding info to our signatures to direct users to post discussions instead of wall posts or private messages. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I don't need to worry about that.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, cr#p, they brought all of the points over from the old system.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @splasher : Did that "cr#p" get caught by Vanilla's language bleeper, or was that your choice of words?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    @splasher : Did that "cr#p" get caught by Vanilla's language bleeper, or was that your choice of words?
    My choice, self censorship.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brought this concern up already asking this be turned off to users, not SUs or admins. No reply as yet... It's perplexing some users can't/don't take the time to understand what they are doing.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I have moved this to the Community and Improvement Suggestions to make sure that this issue is seen!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see posters are still posting questions/problems in the Activity section and now @Quicken Harold is answering them. Bad idea! At least @Quicken_Tyka is directing them to post on the main page.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bringing this issue up again as it is not serving the community to have users blindly PM SUs or mods to get answers. A fellow SU we all know and love (who has no even been to this community) has no less than six PMs.
    Can this be addressed or is this by design?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are not PMs. Those are activity posts to Howard Roark's wall. You would not be able to see other user's PMs. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call it whatever. The fact remains users are posting on the wall to SUs and mods in the hope of getting help. This bypasses the community forum and can lead to unanswered or parallel responses.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GeoffG ,

If an User posts to anyone's "wall" does not mean that they get answered, or none that SuperUsers can see. I am not worry at all.

I like the ability for Users to send PMs. Doesn't mean that they get answered.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG : I understand the concern you are expressing, but it does not seem to be as big a problem as I would have expected.  In your cited case, those six posts were all dated 2/4 to 2/6.  In scanning through other SU profiles, I saw only one or two similar 'wall postings'.  

I'd have no problems if that part of the user's profile went away.  But at this time I am not seeing a broadly significant problem. 

This conversation did serve to remind me that I could have PM'd mshiggins when I questioned her about responding to a 2-year old post yesterday.      
  • Greg_the_Geek
    The problem also exists in the Activity Section of the Community.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get one or two a week and reply to that that they need to ask in the forum and not via PM or Activity and then I get rid of it.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem also exists in the Activity Section of the Community.
    That seems to be a more serious issue to me. (other comments forthcoming in that discussion.)
    splasher said:
    I get one or two a week and reply to that that they need to ask in the forum and not via PM or Activity and then I get rid of it.
    My error.  I had not considered that some (or a lot) of those messages had been deleted.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That box strikes me as a parallel to Twitter (not that I know anything about Twitter).  Blurt out something and see if someone comments.  No structure whatsoever.  

As I understand it, Quicken does maintain a Twitter account and real-life Quicken employees monitor and respond on it - maybe even Harold.  But I don't believe that is the intent of this site - to be a twitter parallel.  

I would favor elimination of that "Share" feature to bypass the situation of users being ignored.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, to be clear, there are 2 separate features in Vanilla ... the "personal" Activity "wall", as shown above and private messaging (PM). They are different (in case some have not figured that out).

Accessing PM, you have to click on the InBox icon beside Avatar at the top of the profile page.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Greg_the_Geek

I thought this was fixed but it doesn't look like it.
This discussion has been closed.