Make Mileage Tracking available in all Quicken editions, Deluxe and higher (4 Merged Votes)

UKR
UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements
This discussion about recording Medical Mileage brings up an idea.
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7807615/need-quicken-for-mac-2019-report-to-include-0-transactions   [Archived Post, not accessible to all users]
There are some other discussions in the Community about Mileage Tracking for Medical, Charity, etc. already.

At this time, the Mileage Tracker is available only in the Quicken for Windows Home, Business and Rental Property Management edition.

How about
  • making the Mileage Tracker in Quicken for Windows available in the Deluxe and Premier editions, too.
  • adding a Mileage Tracker module to Quicken Mac.
That would benefit many customers and help with their Income Tax recording.

Please VOTE for this idea if you would like to see this implemented in a future release of Quicken. The more votes this Idea gets, the more likely it is that we'll get it implemented.

Tagged:
29 votes

Planned · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 15 Aug 23, Update 10/10/23 - This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. Quicken’s product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. CTP-7489

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sounds good. Thanks for posting the suggestion.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Just do it!
  • jl747
    jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Mileage tracking for all versions of Quicken including Mac.

Quicken Windows Business & Personal (Subscription) - Using the latest version -Windows 10 Pro

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... including automatic updating of the Milerate.txt every year so we don't have to ask for it year after year.
    And also implement a few other changes requested over time, like making the date format in the txt file independent of the customer's date format settings, so that file import works regardless of computer's date format, e.g. mm/dd/yyyy even if computer uses yyyy-mm-dd.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've complained about this "failure to update mileage rates" every year for as long as I can remember.
    This is simply shameful ... as the IRS publishes the dates in the fall for the next year.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    I've complained about this "failure to update mileage rates" every year for as long as I can remember.
    This is simply shameful ... as the IRS publishes the dates in the fall for the next year.

WELL, as is customary, Q hasn't updated the Mileage Tracker in H&B with the 2020 rates.
    MORE SHAME upon Quicken!

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Howard_A
    Howard_A Member
    This feature is standard on the Windows version of this app. Seems logical that it would be included with the Mac version as well. Would be a help.
  • I am WITH YOU!! It shouldn't be hard to figure out how it can be done, when you have such smart people working on it! Please, just get it done!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @bible_readr  It isn't necessarily a case of how hard it is, but what priority it gets. There are literally hundreds of feature requests Mac users have presented to the development team; some take mere hours or days, while others take months of work. With a small development team, that means that many ideas remain on the waiting list as they slowly but surely (but slowly!) crank out improvement to the program. I'd note that this idea has garnered only 16 votes over the past 2+ years, while others have dozens and even hundreds of votes.

While the votes on this forum are not the only determinant of what gets done and what waits, more votes gets ideas a higher level of visibility before the managers who decide which projects to tackle. So anyone who want to see this functionality added to Quicken Mac, be sure to add your vote in the blue box at the top of this thread.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • I can appreciate your viewpoint as much as the next person, but I wasn't asking for one. At the risk of sounding like I know what I am talking about, I want to assure you that I don't. However, It's my understanding that a hard drive is just a hard drive, until you format it, correct?

That would indicate to me that it is the 'language' that makes it all work, right? In the world around us human language can be translated, and I am supposing that this one can too. The fact that you have programs (like Fusion, Boot Camp, etc.) that do this, tells me that I am not far off in my thinking.

To your point, the priority list would decide when the effort is put forward, and at least on this forum, it doesn't seem to be all that important to users of the software- until they need it. That was me, when I searched the Community for advice on how to do something that I had been able to before. Granted, that was when I was working on a PC platform.

I was simply replying to a 'shout out' of those that would like to see this feature included in the Mac versions since the functionality is available to PC users. If anyone of consequence or authority were to read these forums, then it is possible the idea may be advanced up the list, correct? I am pretty sure that this is not the only forum that has contained the request, and if it is, then I stand corrected.

Thank you for your advice to add my 'vote' by clicking the box, but I had already done that the first time I was here, and it won't allow it more than once... I tried.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @bible_readr  I'm sorry that I don't understand your comments about "a hard drive is just a hard drive, until you format it" and "The fact that you have programs (like Fusion, Boot Camp, etc.) that do this, tells me that I am not far off in my thinking." If your point is that anything is achievable with time and effort to program it, then yes, I agree. ;)

"If anyone of consequence or authority were to read these forums, then it is possible the idea may be advanced up the list, correct?"  That's the point of voting on this site. The developers and management do not read all the comments posted here, much as we might wish they did. If/when ideas reach a notable amount of votes, the moderators here are able to push them for review by the developers and product managers. I respond to posts like this to try to share some information I may have about how things work at Quicken, but also to push this comment thread to the top of the home page so it gets more visibility; after that, it's up to users on the forum to vote if they consider the idea being discussed to be a priority for development and vote for it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • stlyman
    stlyman Member
    Just do it PLEASE!
  • Mileage tracking for app?
    Quicken user since 1994 - Rental Property version
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I don’t see this request as a high priority one at the moment.  For medical mileage, almost nobody can deduct it anyway with today’s high standard deductions and the % of adjusted gross limits on medical deductions if you itemize.  For business, I think this should just be rolled into the feature set of a Home and Business edition of QMac:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7929330/home-business-version-of-quicken-mac#latest

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Barbara3
    Barbara3 Member ✭✭
    Please please provide milage tracking in Quicken for Mac! It is a necessary tool for anyone who travels for work , has medical expenses, charity deductions, and other tax related items. Thanks!
  • Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.