Add ability to customize the asset class menu (37 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Investments
if you can add the ability to customize the asset class menu, I would find Quicken Mac useful. Otherwise it creates too many issues with importing and managing investments

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to VOTE in the yellow box below to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

If you do not click the little black arrow under the vote counter in the yellow box below, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests Related to Investments. You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to other related IDEAS.
89 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. QMAC-13523

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You can also add your VOTE to a related idea to Add ETF (and others) to security types.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris11
    Chris11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I second this.  I need to be able to track, for example, small cap and emerging market funds as well as commodities such as gold and oil.  These are separate form simply "International Stocks" or "US stocks".  I'm currently using Q2016 Canada
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    In reading this post again, I want to be clear that what I want is to be able to edit the ASSET CLASS information.  The original poster in this thread named the thread "asset class" but then his first post actually relates to investment type, not asset class.

In Quicken Win2016 (Canada) I can already edit the "Type" of security.  I cannot edit the asset class choices, which is what I want to be able to do as well.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I just updated to Q2018, and a bit frustrated to find the 'Asset Class' list has been changed - not consistent with Q2017, and has automagically reassigned many (all?) of my Canadian equity securities in my data file to the 'Domestic Bonds' class. This isn't the only change moving to 2018 version that is a bit odd
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I just updated to Q2018, and a bit frustrated to find the 'Asset Class' list has been changed - not consistent with Q2017, and has automagically reassigned many (all?) of my Canadian equity securities in my data file to the 'Domestic Bonds' class. This isn't the only change moving to 2018 version that is a bit odd

What are the asset classes listed in Q2018?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

actually found I had accidentally installed the US version of Q18. Went back and reinstalled the Canadian version and my original asset classes (consistent with prior Canadian versions) were restored. So there is a marker in the security record for this, but the description attached to the different values for that marker is different in the US and Canadian versions of Quicken. But you still can't create more, this is a fixed list delivered in the system.
  • tn_fields
    tn_fields Member
    edited November 2019

Meanwhile, you can also add your VOTE to a related idea to Add ETF (and others) to security types.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Agree.  Ability to create Asset Classes to your own situation would be a plus.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I would like an asset class to track my TreasuryDirect holdings. That is my early retirement cash bucket consisting of I-bonds and 26-week T-bills. By having a separate asset class, my retirement cash bucket will be separately reported instead of being buried within domestic bonds. As the second poster mentioned I want the ability to add an asset type of my own -  I am fine with the investment types as they are.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'll vote for this one. This would be very useful.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    I would like be able to run a portfolio view or report that displays my investment portfolio (stocks, ETF's and Mutual Funds) into types of investments, e.g. small cap stocks, REIT's, Emerging Markets, Long Term Bonds, etc.. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    What version of Quicken are you using? In recent versions, change the Group By in the portfolio view to Group by Type.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm using the latest version of Quicken for Mac.  I would like to group my portfolio by types that are user defined, not just the Quicken default categories of Mutual Funds and Stocks.  For example, I would like to further sub-divide my securities into the asset classes of commodities (metal, energy funds), small cap stock funds, large cap stock funds, bond funds (long term, short term), etc.  This type of categorization allows me to monitor my portfolio diversification, which I must now do on spreadsheets.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018

I'm using the latest version of Quicken for Mac.  I would like to group my portfolio by types that are user defined, not just the Quicken default categories of Mutual Funds and Stocks.  For example, I would like to further sub-divide my securities into the asset classes of commodities (metal, energy funds), small cap stock funds, large cap stock funds, bond funds (long term, short term), etc.  This type of categorization allows me to monitor my portfolio diversification, which I must now do on spreadsheets.

Yup. Please visit the link below and VOTE for it. You must click the VOTE button upper right corner.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/please-add-etf-to-security-types
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

That doen’t help for managing the risk level of my portfolio. Mutual Fund, stock, ETF indicates the investment vehicle, but doesn’t help with monitoring diversification.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

I’d like to tag a specific security into my own categories.
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I’ve wanted to define my own categories, and not only that, additional attributes with their own values( eg, “owner”: me, my wife, joint). Never gonna happen. Instead, I export as csv ( finally back again, yea!), then import to excel where I keep those extra columns. Then I can create pivot tables on any columns I want.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

In reading this post again, I want to be clear that what I want is to be able to edit the ASSET CLASS information.  The original poster in this thread named the thread "asset class" but then his first post actually relates to investment type, not asset class.

In Quicken Win2016 (Canada) I can already edit the "Type" of security.  I cannot edit the asset class choices, which is what I want to be able to do as well.

I agree -- we need the ability to add a new entry to the Asset Class list
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Remember to add your vote to at the link above. Your VOTES matter!

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Elvin - Quicken 2019 (5.9.1) MacOS (10.14.1)
    edited December 2018
    In Quicken 2007, I used the "Goal" which I guess is now "Asset Class" which was user customizable along with "Asset Type." Made it possible assign categories as micro/macro as needed for my asset allocation needs. Was also convenient that Morningstar Fund Category was kept separate, so that it could inform me if I'd need to update my own asset class/goal designation. 
  • vahe guzelimian
    vahe guzelimian Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

It's very frustrating that Q2018 doesn't allow you to customize asset class. I use Emrging Markets Growth, Emerging Markets Value, International Small Value, etc. Q2018 Mac is totally useless for investments for me. I have to stick with Q 2007 Mac forever!!! Boohoo! I still think that Q2007 Mac is the very best version for Mac OR PC. Multiple windows and rich investment reports and other features.
    edited November 2019

While I'm crossing my fingers that this feature is added just like Q2007 had user defined "Goals", I'm using the default labels as placeholders for asset classes I want. It's not pretty, but it's a workaround for now while I'm testing Q2018+ and keeping Q2007 ready to fall back on. It is of course too much to ask about any asset allocation tools that seem to be available on the Windows side. Also attaching below the list of current Asset Classes in 2018+ for those asking and those who have yet to upgrade.

(
    edited December 2018
    Curious point is that apparently Windows users must have a better workaround since this feature request is only on the Mac side though it appears that customizable asset classes are not available in Windows since older forum complaints came from them. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks for posting that Elvin. At least, what I can do as a kludge, is to use the MONEY MARKET class to hold my TreasuryDirect t-bills which I am building as a cash nest egg. (rather than having it embedded with all my bond funds)
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Again, to be clear, security types are customizable in QWin, but asset classes are not.  The ability to add customizable asset classes is what this thread is about.  And yes, this applies to QWindows as well.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests Related to InvestmentsYou may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to other related IDEAS.

Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    We desparately need this. I hold T-bills in TreasuryDirect. They are a retirement bucket for me.   I don't want to call them "cash" because it would get lumped into personal banking. I don't want to call them Domestic Bonds because they are not the same as bond funds and individual bonds under that label which are long term holdings. They are - essentially - a special flavor of cash, and I need a new lable to attach to them. For now, I am using the built-in MoneyMarket label, but that is a kluge, and only works because I don't own any other money market accounts.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    This would be a great upgrade.  I track investments across 5 different investment accounts and it's very hard to get an accurate read on what we own in what asset classes.  I'd like to see something that mirrors Morningstar's "Style Map" (Small/Medium/Large, Value/Blend/Growth for stock ETFs and mutual funds; Limited/Moderate/Extended, High/Medium/Low Quality for Bond funds).  Also, domestic vs. international for both would be desirable.

• mooregh1
    mooregh1 Member ✭✭
    I have the same complaint.  With Quicken 2007 I could create custom asset types to analyze my portfolio.  The current Quicken for Mac has only a few broad security types, which are not sufficient.  It should not be too difficult to add a feature to create custom types.
  • System
    System Member admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Asset allocation by Security Type.
  • AFToothDoc
    AFToothDoc Member ✭✭
    More asset classes and the ability to customize asset classes is a great idea. The Investment Module badly needs an overhaul. People have been asking for this for many years. This is especially important now that companies are dumping their pension plans and placing the responsibility for investing and retirement on the employee.