Cannot open data file

I just downloaded the latest version of Quicken for Mac.  When I try to load my data file, I get this message: "An error occurred while preparing the file to be imported."  How can I resolve this "problem?"

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Was this file created/used in the same user account that you are logged into now?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • hehaller
    hehaller Member
    The data file was created with the 2007 version of Quicken.

• RickO
    Okay, but you didn't answer my question.

In any case, you might want to try one of these:

1. Assuming you still can run QM07: Open the QM07 file with QM07. Type Command+Option+B on the keyboard to reindex it. Quit QM07 then try to import into QM19.

2. Compress the original QM07 file. Move the original to the trash. Unzip the compressed copy and then try to import that into QM19.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, for step 1, you have to open the Account list FIRST before pressing CMD-OP-B to reindex the file. Otherwise, nothing happens. ;)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• hehaller
    hehaller Member
    My user account is the first time I ever opened a user account, so the answer to the first question is no.
    Regarding suggestion (1):  QM07 will not open the data file.
    Tried suggestion (2) but got the same error message as before.

• hehaller
    hehaller Member
    smayer97:  I don't know what you mean by the "account list."  

• RickO
    @hehaller... The Account List is opened in QM07 from menu Lists > Accounts. 

@smayer97... I've seen this mentioned before, but for me, I have never had to have the account list open in order to reindex. But it can't hurt.

@hehaller ... If QM07 will not open the file, then you can't open the account list anyway. Please post a screenshot of any error message you get when trying to open the file in QM07. Do you have any backups that you can try?

• hehaller
    hehaller Member
    Here is my screen shot:
  • RickO
    I'm afraid I don't have any more ideas. Perhaps someone who's a more current user of QM07 will. If not, I'd suggest you contact support and explain that you're trying to migrate your file into the new Quicken you purchased and see if they can help. To contact support, click Help at the top of this page and scroll down to the blue banner.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2019
    If 2007 can't open the file, then newer versions won't, either.

You can try these older instructions when you are unable to open a file:

https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-opening-quicken-mac-unable-open-file

If you can then open the file in 2007, you can retry the import into the newer version of Quicken for Mac.

While I am hopeful the above works, there is also a good chance that your file is corrupt. I hope you have a backup.
  • hehaller
    hehaller Member
    Thank you everyone who offered suggestions.  None have worked so far, so I will contact support tomorrow.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    @smayer97... I've seen this mentioned before, but for me, I have never had to have the account list open in order to reindex. But it can't hurt.

Just tried it and you are correct. It seems that this must have been changed at some point and I simply never noticed. So, in Qm2007 v16.2.4, there is no longer a need to have the Account list open. Learned something new today.

Of course, this does not help the OP since @hehaller cannot open the file :\

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• hehaller
    hehaller Member
    That worked!  Thank you!

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Glad to hear that resolved your problem! Thank goodness for Time Machine! :)

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.