Manual entry of Mutual Funds, EZ on QM07, cannot do on QM19...

I just downloaded Q for Mac 2019. I have multiple files of mutual funds, all by manual entry. I do not use the internet for any updates. In Q 07, when adding a new entry, while the number of shares remain the same, one uses "MS" (move shares). The conversion of 2007 to 2019 seems to have gone OK for each file. However, now entering a new date to update the price of the shares, while maintaining the same number of shares, I cannot seem to accomplish. Had several calls to Quicken, all you get are a bunch of people from Guatemala, they are not able to help. They say every time I want to update the value of the shares, I need to remove all shares, and re-enter them. I tried that, the value that then comes up does not jive with the statement value. I called at least 6 or 7 times, hoping I would get a different person who could help, a total waste of time and effort, with no answer. I will try to add 2 screen shots to show what I am talking about.
Thanks in advance for anyone's help, regards, Jack H.

Best Answers

• Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Folks, I have cancelled my Quicken 2019 for Mac. The good news I would like to convey, is the fact that the person I spoke with in the USA (Kyle I believe), told me that Quicken for Mac 2020 is going to have many changes and extensive updates. Not sure if this is good or bad, but he informed me he was aware of many problems with Q 19, did not elaborate. So when Q 20 comes out, I will again give it a try and see if I can accomplish what I am doing now, or at least something close. I have learned a lot from the entire group here, and I thank you all again for your help, teachings and above all, patience. Regards to all, Jack H.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Jack,

Sorry, to hear that support was unable to assist you.

If you are looking for a way to 'Move Shares' in the 2019 version, you will want to use the 'Transfer Shares' option.

If this is not what you are looking for can you explain in a bit more detail what you are needing to see?

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken_Tyka, thank you for your prompt response.

I tried what you suggested, but if I choose "Transfer shares", then it asks "Transfer to account:"
    which is a drop down menu of all the mutual funds I am following, except the one it's coming from. In this case, it is coming from T.R. Price Blue Chip, which is now gone from the drop down menu. It also asks "One security" or "all securities", I tried both. One makes the most sense, it really should be Zero shares, I am not sure I can change that, did not Thank you, since I was stuck at where to transfer shares to. Shares to transfer is autofilled with the total number of shares, assuming that is what I want (prob should be zero). I only want to update what the share price is on June 30, 2019, nothing else, and allow Q 19 to calculate the total $ value of the fund on June 30. The value of March 31 is obviously different, the number of shares is the same, since there was no dividend or cap gain paid out in these 3 months. Then there is a field called "Tags", what would be entered in that field? I know this is confusing, but essentially all I want to do is change the date, shares remaining the same if there was no payout of dividends, and know the value on June 30 as compared to what is was on March 31, 2019. I am attaching a screen shot, perhaps that will help. I tried to expand on what I would like to do compared to what I have been doing on Q 07.Thanks in advance for your kind help and patience.
    Regards, Jack H

PS: Are you part of the previous "Quicken Get Satisfaction" team? I used them before, but somehow had to create a new password this time. Or are you part of the Quicken company team? Thanks.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2019
    @Jack Henriquez I've been trying to follow along to offer help, but I'm still not clear on what it is you're trying to accomplish. You said originally in Quicken 2007 you would make a new entry while the number of shares remain the same. What is the new entry supposed to accomplish? Entries in investment registers either add or subtract dollars or shares. In Quicken 2007, Move Shares was a way to add shares to your holdings without specifying a source of the funds -- for example, a security you owned before you started using Quicken which required a starting balance of shares, or a gift of shares you received or gave.

Move shares, in Quicken 2007, was not used to change the price of a security as of a certain date -- but that's what you seem to be wanting to do in your last post. Is that right?

In Quicken 2007, to enter a new price for a security on a specific date, you opened the Investment Portfolio window, set the date to the desired date, and entered the share price of the security as of that date. Alternatively, you could have gone to Activities > Security Detail, clicked on the Prices tab, clicked New, and entered a date and price.

In Quicken 2019, you unfortunately can't do the former -- enter a price in a portfolio view. (It's a frequent request of Quicken users, and something hopefully the developers will add in the future.) So you need to do it the other way, editing the security price history. In Quicken 2019, you do this by going to Window > Securities, double-clicking the security for which you want to enter a new price, clicking on the Price History tab, entering a date and Closing Price (you can ignore Opening Price, High, Low and Volume -- just enter Closing Price), and clicking Add. Now if you return to your Investment account register, you'll note there is no new transaction in the Transactions view, but if you switch to Portfolio view and set the date to the date you just entered (or later), you'll see the security now reflects the price you entered and its value should match your brokerage statement.

Is that what you were trying to accomplish, and if so, does that make sense?

Remember that entering new transactions for investments in Quicken (whether 2007 or 2019) either deal with adding or removing money or shares -- transferring money from your checking account, purchasing shares with that money, receiving income dividends, purchasing additional shares with the dividend revenue, etc. A security with no activity other than a change in share price does not require a new transaction, only a price change as described above.

P.S. Quicken used to have a user forum on the Get Satisfaction platform. In February of this year, it was moved to this forum (a platform and company called Vanilla, although that name is pretty well hidden from site). All the old users and comments were moved over, although some old message threads which are no longer relevant were cleared out in the move. This site consists primarily of fellow users like you and me, trying to help each other, plus a handful of site moderators who work for Quicken, like Tyka. The Quicken moderators sometimes provide support answers, but this site is not the same as Quicken Support, which is available by phone or chat, for free to all users of current Quicken products. As you've experienced, the quality of help from Quicken Support can run hot or cold, depending how well the support agent you happen to get connected to understands your question/problem and their level of knowledge of the Quicken program. Lots of people get their problems solved talking with Quicken Support, and they have many good support agents -- and some users come away frustrated due to language problems or incorrect/incomplete resolutions to their problems.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Hi Jacobs, thank you for your interest. I believe we corresponded before observing your neat icon. Anyway, suppose I received a statement the end of March 31, telling me I have 100 shares, and the share price of the mutual fund on that day is $50. I would go to the account on my computer, under Q 07, enter the date of 3/31/19, TAB, then need to decide if there is a Reinvest Dividend (which was none) or I could enter MS (I think that was move shares, that was the only choice I could do to keep the number of shares at 100) ,TAB, then shares IN would be left blank, TAB, then I manually enter the new price on March 31 of the mutual fund shares manually, TAB, and had a field to enter a description. I would enter "Ending balance value today", hit return, and I recorded the value of the mutual fund on March 31, 2019. Fast forward to June 30, 2019, no shares were added again either from a Dividend, LT Cap Gain or ST Cap Gain. Now on the date line I would enter 6/30/19, TAB, MS, no new shares in, so ,TAB, enter the share price on June 30 (say e.g $53 per share now) I would enter $53, then TAB, "Ending balance value today." If suppose there was a dividend payout, then I would set the date 6/30/2019, TAB, RD (re-invest dividend), TAB, how many shares came in, TAB, the price on the date of the dividend, TAB, Quicken would calculate the dividend $ amount automatically, and under description I would manually enter, "Income dividend reinvested. " So that is how I manually added and updated my account when a new statement came in. I hope this helps. If Q 19 would have an option like MS, not adding more shares, but allowing me to change the quarterly share price, then calculate the value on that date, that would be perfect. In the drop down menu (attached) there is no option to do that, so I was looking for a way around it, to continue using the Q 19. My trail expires on July 17, as of now, I am going to cancel and get my money back. Q 19 is presently as I understand it of no use to me. I'll have to keep one laptop (or both with Mojave for a year or two, and see if Quicken adds this option with a trail again in a year or so. I hope you can help with a work around this issue. Thank you so much for your interest, regards, Jack H.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Hi Jacobs, I followed step by step what you told me to do, Widows> securities, double clicking on the security, etc, all looked great. When I was done entering the date of June 30, 2019, added the new share price under Closing price, hit ADD, then Done on the bottom right, went back to my Transactions field, nothing happened. It was as if I did nothing at all. The date started at 3/31/19....all remained empty. :( :'(
  • jacobs
    Jack, I think you're very close... You're still looking for a transaction, when no transaction took place. A change in share price is not a transaction (either with your brokerage company or in Quicken). So on the register where you're looking for a transaction, up near the top, click Portfolio where Transaction is currently selected.

This screen is where you see the values of your investments.

Now, over on the right side at the top, if you wish, set the "as-of" date to june 30 or whatever date you wish:

This is how to tell Quicken to show you your holding as of a specific date in the past. For the security(ies) where you have entered a new price as of this date, you should see that new price in the Quote column, and the Market Value column should match your brokerage statement.

It sounds like you came up with an interesting way of recording share price changes in Quicken 2007 over the years. I see what you did and why it worked, but as I described above, using MS in Quicken 2007 was actually not the intended way to do this -- because no shares were being moved. the proper way in Quicken 2007, as in Quicken 2019, is to adjust the share price without creating a new transaction.

Now, when you have a cash dividend received, or a dividend reinvested, in those cases, you need to switch the screen back to the Transaction register in order to enter the new transaction. But if these is no transaction, and only the share price has changed, enter the new share price as described above and you should be all set.

Does that make sense? Do you see it now? Write back if something still isn't clicking.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Jack Henriquez said:  Anyway, suppose I received a statement the end of March 31, telling me I have 100 shares, and the share price of the mutual fund on that day is $50. I would go to the account on my computer, under Q 07, enter the date of 3/31/19, TAB, then need to decide if there is a Reinvest Dividend (which was none) or I could enter MS (I think that was move shares, that was the only choice I could do to keep the number of shares at 100) ,TAB, then shares IN would be left blank, TAB, then I manually enter the new price on March 31 of the mutual fund shares manually, TAB, and had a field to enter a description. I would enter "Ending balance value today", hit return, and I recorded the value of the mutual fund on March 31, 2019.
    You are totally mixing apples and oranges...
    The daily reporting of the mutual fund price has nothing to do with number of shares.
    If you have ANY transactions - buy, sell, div reinvest, fees, etc - THEY will effect your number of shares, be reported in the Register, and again have NOTHING to do with the daily NAV/price.
    To change the number of shares, some real TRANSACTION needed to happen... if nothing happened, then don't be taking a hammer to the Register to try and balance shares vs price vs balance.
    Finally - the only real place to view the pricing is....
    Sorry - THESE ARE FROM MY WINDOWS VERSION
    --> Tools --> Security List --> {select security} --> Update --> Edit Price History

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    @ps56k Your advice is absolutely correct; it's exactly what I wrote just above. I just want to note that @Jack Henriquez is asking about Quicken Mac, having upgraded from the previous Quicen Mac 2007. Your screenshots and the menu commands you listed are for Quicken Windows, so I don't want Jack to be confused by them.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    oops - sorry - forget after awhile when reading - MAC vs Windows -
    and I even update the topic title
    tnx

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Jacobs wrote:
    This screen is where you see the values of your investments.

Now, over on the right side at the top, if you wish, set the "as-of" date to june 30 or whatever date you wish:

This is how to tell Quicken to show you your holding as of a specific date in the past. For the security(ies) where you have entered a new price as of this date, you should see that new price in the Quote column, and the Market Value column should match your brokerage statement.

Jack H. writes:
    I followed your advice to a T, went to Portfolio, then changed the date on the Right upper corner. Then looking at my market column result, everything comes back to 12/13/18 or 12/14/18. This is far back from where I was on 3/31/19.

I believe I am going to give up on Quicken 2019, get my money back, and find a way to follow my mutual funds on another platform, perhaps just the final monthly or quarterly results on Yahoo, or whatever else is available out there.
    I will continue to use my old way for now.

I really appreciate your interest in helping out, but there is no reason for an "improved quicken" 2019 to be so off and complicated compared to what I have been doing since 2007. The conversion obviously was not correct from 2007 to 2019, why would all the dates be 12/13 or 12/14/2018? Makes no sense.... Anyway, again, I appreciate your interest in helping out, sometimes we are not successful in doing so beyond our best intentions. Please keep up the good work helping other with problems encountered in Quicken 2019 for Mac. My kindest regards to you, be well, Jack Henriquez.
  • jacobs
    Jack, I can appreciate that it's frustrating having to learn how to use a new program. My suggestion to you would be to stick with it until you get comfortable with the new look and operation of the new Quicken. It's not that it's "off" or complicated, it's that it's different -- and there's a learning curve that take awhile to climb. But if you decide it's not worth the bother, I respect your choice and won't continue to reply here.

Reading your post above, two things struck me. First, it didn't occur to me until re-reading your first post that perhaps you hadn't checked to see if your data imported correctly. Most people after importing spend some time checking each account to see if all transactions are present, if the account balance is correct, and for investment account, if share balances are correct. Sometimes things come in perfectly, especially for users who do not have their accounts connected online to their financial institutions, but it's not unusual for some minor "cleanup" to be needed. In some cases, checking accounts reveals that the user has inadvertently imported an older Quicken 2007 data file that was on their disk instead of the most recent one. Checking recent transactions entered in Quicken 2007 to see if they are in the Quicken 2019 file is a good, quick step to take to insure you imported the correct data file. Then, a good next step is checking each account balance between the two versions, starting with bank and credit card accounts, and then proceeding to investment accounts, to see if everything agrees or if anything is off.

The second thing you wrote that puzzled me is "I … went to Portfolio, then changed the date on the Right upper corner. Then looking at my market column result, everything comes back to 12/13/18 or 12/14/18. This is far back from where I was on 3/31/19." If you're looking at the Portfolio window, there should be no dates visible in the portfolio listing. The Market Value column shows amounts as of the date you set in the upper right. Are you saying that "the value of each of my investment accounts or securities was the value in that account/security as of December 13 or 14"? That seems like an odd an somewhat arbitrary date period, which is what made me wonder whether you actually imported the correct Quicken 2007 data file. If you switch from the Portfolio screen to the Transaction register, are there any transactions dated after December 14? If you compare your Transactions register here to your investment account register in Quicken 2007, are there transactions missing in Quicken 2019?

I'd be happy to continue to try to help you get squared away if you want help working through the problems. If you remain decided to walk away, no problem, and best of luck.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Hi Jacobs, I admire your enthusiasm and persistence. And above all your willing to help. I called Quicken 7 times, the first time I decided to buy the new Deluxe Q 19, paid for it, asked the individual to help me with the download and conversion. I spoke with Quicken 6x after that with the same problems mentioned above. First of all it seems to me the individuals were very poorly trained, and all had Spanish names/accents. Finally I asked where I was calling. I was informed I was talking to individuals in Guatemala. I asked to speak with someone of Quicken in the USA, I was told that is impossible. One would also wonder why none of the individuals would tell me or ask if I checked my conversions after the conversion took place. Not even a hint. I feel Quicken as a company does not care for the consumers in the USA, one would think after 7x calling, they would escalate the issue higher in the USA. I believe I am done with Quicken 19 for now, will request my money back, and continue the old way of doing things. I think after Mojave, Q 07 will not work anymore, so for now I will not upgrade to whatever Apple brings out as operating system for the Mac Book Pro. The ones I use is are a 2018 MB Pro and a 2017 Mac Book Air (bad keyboard by the way). Perhaps next year when the new Q 2020 is out, I will do a trial with that one and see what happens. I learned a lot from you and others on Vanilla, can't say the same from Quicken reps. Again, I sincerely thank you for your help and persistence, perhaps next year our Quicken paths will cross again. My wife thinks I am nuts for even using Quicken, but been doin so since 2007 only for my Mut funds of line, I think that was a great way to follow them. Regards, and thanks again, Jack Henriquez.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much, something to consider in the future. Please keep up this great Quicken help site. Thanks again, Jack H.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Folks, I have cancelled my Quicken 2019 for Mac. The good news I would like to convey, is the fact that the person I spoke with in the USA (Kyle I believe), told me that Quicken for Mac 2020 is going to have many changes and extensive updates. Not sure if this is good or bad, but he informed me he was aware of many problems with Q 19, did not elaborate. So when Q 20 comes out, I will again give it a try and see if I can accomplish what I am doing now, or at least something close. I have learned a lot from the entire group here, and I thank you all again for your help, teachings and above all, patience. Regards to all, Jack H.
This discussion has been closed.