Quicken for Mac v5.12 Released

Comments

• ann
    ann Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken for Mac 5.11.2 and would like to download and install 5.12.1. The notice states that there is a file migration from 5.11 to 5.12. I use three different Quicken files. I assume that the installation software will update the Quicken file that I have open when I launch the update. How do I update my other two files?

Thank you!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    ann said:
     How do I update my other two files?
    Just open them (from the File > Open Recent menu or from the Finder) and they will update automatically upon opening them.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    One of my main complaints with Quicken Mac has been the awkwardness of scheduling investment income (dividends from stocks and interest from bonds ) so that I can anticipate projected balances in investment accounts. The improvements to scheduled transactions in 5.12.1 has certainly helped but there are still some awkward points. In investment accounts the only transaction type that can be scheduled is payment/deposit which, after marking as paid, I edit the Type to Dividend Income or Interest Income. The problem is that the Payee field changes to a Security field and erases the Payee entry. I solve this by entering the Payee/security name in the memo field which gets retained so that I can copy and paste into the Security field. This does require creating a Payee that matches the Security name when setting up the transaction as there are distinct Payee and Security lists even though the column heading in the transaction view is Security/Payee. Since essentially all securities are Payees, it would be nice if they were automatically included in the Payee list or at least had a check box in the setup page to include in Payee list. Also nice if the security field didn't erase the payee entry if there was an entry that matches the security list.

In setting up a scheduled transaction I can now set the category to Dividend Income or Interest Income although for some strange reason the was no Dividend Income category in the the category chooser list and I had to create one the first time I set up a transaction in the new version. Even then it didn't appear in the Recently Used section of the chooser after editing a number of scheduled transactions to change category from Uncategorized to Dividend or Interest Income. I notice that there is a new Category, Interest Income Tax-Free, also not in the chooser list, and that when I marked a transaction as paid and change Type to Interest Income that it automatically changes the category to Interest Income Tax-Free where appropriate. A nice new feature.

Editing a scheduled investment transaction is substantially improved as the Frequency no longer reverts to Monthly when set to quarterly or semiannually.
  • mrhargro
    mrhargro Member
    Was so excited b/c I thought this release had auto categorizing based on previous behavior, but no. I actually never have issues with the payee name.

There are recategorization that I basically have to do every day, and wish i didn't. E.g. I've created a Category for Amazon, b/c unfortunately I spend a lot of money there. Anything with Payee gets that Amazon category, but I have to do that every day. Wish I could do what you did with the Payee to that categorization.

Hoping this release is an iteration in that direction.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    moski said:
    The upgrade went just fine for me this morning, at least as far as I can tell. I haven't really tried to use any of the new features yet but the old ones still seem to work. My question is about the "Investment Amount" column added to Investing transactions. I can't figure out what that's for. What does "so you can see the value of a Reinvested Dividend" mean? To me it's always been pretty clear what the value is, because I can see how many shares were purchased and what the cost was. What am I missing?

In the register when looking at Reinvested Dividend transactions the amount is always 0 because there is a dividend received and then shares are purchased which results in no change from a cash perspective.  Customers who are focused on dividends wanted the ability to see what dividend amount they received in the register. The Investment Amount column will display the dollar amount for the dividend.  It's a really nice way to look at your dividends coming in and making sure they are the amounts you expect.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    When trying to show additional columns on Investment Account, clicking on the show Columns doesn't work. It flashes something in less than a blink of an eye and disappears. The show Columns works for Banking, Property, Debt type accounts but not Investment type accounts. I have version 5.12.1 and am using MacOX 10.14.6. This feature worked in 5.11.2.
  • Robert Galley
    Robert Galley Member ✭✭✭
    Applied V5.12 today. I have 6 years of data and the file conversion completed in seconds. After pulling in my account transactions I walked thru new payee and reporting features: these will save me lots of time. Comparative reporting is very handy for research and budgeting: all results checked out and cross-footed. I appreciate the Adjust Account Balance feature not just for active accounts but for assets as they grow or decrease in value. Help access to new features and Release Notes minimizes tracking them down. Though I still have some outstanding issues I'm waiting on, this looked clean for me and with significant added value. Thank you!
  • Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Received an update message this morning, but did not have time to install before running the morning's processing. Want to update now, but cannot find a link to 5.12.1. How do I get the update? Recurring transaction and payee improvements alone will make it worthwhile for us.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    Updated to 5.12 today with no issues. I was excited to see in the release notes that the issue of Quicken not recognizing the tax free flag on some securities had been addressed. I hoped this would correct a long-standing issue I have with my portfolios, but it seems to have made no difference.

My portfolios contain a sweep vehicle similar to an interest earning money market account. The brokerage statements identify the security as MMDA which I assume stands for Money Market Deposit Account. I have set it up as a security in Quicken without a symbol and checked the tax fee box. The cash in this "money market account" is used to purchase or sell securities, to move cash from dividends out of portfolio cash, to pay investment advisor fees etc. When these transactions are applied by the brokerage, it means the cash value of the accounts is returned to $0 since all the cash is held by the sweep money market. This works perfectly in that my account balances always agree with the brokerage statements.

My issue with this is that each of these "sweep transactions" appear in the Tax Schedule Report as well as in the realized gain section of the portfolio window. There are many dozens of these transactions each year. Like all money market accounts, the share asset value remains at $1.00 and therefore there are never any capital gains associated with the transaction. The totals in the reports are therefore correct, but the presence of all these Money Market transactions makes it difficult to read the reports or realized gain section of the portfolio and see those transactions that actually do generate capital gains.

In Quicken 2007 this issue is taken care of by having the ability to exclude individual securities from the report. I had hoped the tax free flag in this new update would solve the issue for me, but alas not. Hopefully the ability to exclude securities from the tax schedule report and the portfolio realized gain window can be addressed in future updates.

Thank you
  • Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @jlgg: I believe my portfolio works exactly the same way yours does (a MM sweep account), but I am not experiencing the problem you are with the tax report. I also have that sweep account set up as a security. One possible difference: all the interest earned in that "sweep security" is categorized as "*INT INC NT" since it is non-taxable. Same for you?
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @Steven: Actually I have three accounts in my portfolio. One is a taxable account, the others nontaxable retirement accounts. The Money Market interest is taxable in the taxable account and appears correctly in the tax report under Schedule B. I exclude the two nontaxable accounts from the report to avoid their interest from appearing. However I just realized that after this update, having the tax free flag checked did remove the taxable interest payments from the tax report. That is not what I wanted, so I unchecked the box and the taxable interest payments reappeared as they should and have in the past. So thanks for pointing me in that direction.

The problem I was addressing was that in the taxable account in my portfolio, all the sweep transactions show up in the tax report Schedule D as well as the realized gain section of the portfolio as taxable transactions with a net capital gain of $0.
    This doesn't affect the report totals but since there are so many of them, it does obscure those transactions with actual taxable capital gains or losses.

In Quicken 2007, there is a separate Capital Gains report in which I can exclude the money market security and avoid the problem.

Thank you for your reply.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    @Steven: Thanks Steven. I just tried to add an attachment to my reply and ended up deleting the original response to your post, so here goes try number 2.

I actually have 3 accounts in my brokerage portfolio. One is taxable, the other two nontaxable retirement accounts. The money market interest is taxable in the taxable account and appears in the tax report as interest under Schedule B. I exclude the two retirement accounts from the report so their interest does not appear. I believe that is correct.

My issue is with the sweep transactions appearing in Schedule D of the tax report, and in the realized gain window of the portfolio. Since they generate $0 capital gains, I would rather they could be hidden and not obscure those transactions that have actual gains or losses.

In Quicken 2007, the capital gains are reported in a separate report from the tax report, and the money market security can be excluded.

Thanks for your response, and sorry for the confusion.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    Steven said:
    Received an update message this morning, but did not have time to install before running the morning's processing. Want to update now, but cannot find a link to 5.12.1. How do I get the update? Recurring transaction and payee improvements alone will make it worthwhile for us.
    @Steven Version 5.12 is still in staged release, meaning they only allow a certain number of people to download it at a time, as they wait to hear if people are running into significant problems that didn't turn up during internal or beta testing. If there are no significant problems, they allow more people to download, and then all people to download. right now, the spigot is turned off; try again tomorrow or the next day and it will likely allow you to update. (If it doesn't it's because they have uncovered a bug or two that they have decided to fix before allowing others to switch to the new version.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    IMHO don’t think your missing anything, the Quicken folks seemed to think some users would want to know the actual amount of the reinvested dividends,  o biggie one way or the other for me, you can always delete the column if you don’t want to see it
  • Quicken Marcus
    Applied V5.12 today. I have 6 years of data and the file conversion completed in seconds. After pulling in my account transactions I walked thru new payee and reporting features: these will save me lots of time. Comparative reporting is very handy for research and budgeting: all results checked out and cross-footed. I appreciate the Adjust Account Balance feature not just for active accounts but for assets as they grow or decrease in value. Help access to new features and Release Notes minimizes tracking them down. Though I still have some outstanding issues I'm waiting on, this looked clean for me and with significant added value. Thank you!
    Robert, thanks for taking the time to let the community know that the update, at least for now, has gone well.  This is important to add to the conversation because the forums, for the most part, are filled with only the issues leading to the perception that everything is broken when that's not true.
  • Quicken Marcus
    lemme14 said:
    I am excited for the update, but it seems there is a cashflow bug. After I updated, I noticed that my projected balance for my checking account drops substantially around the first of the year (Jan 2020). After some investigation, it appears that our two bi-weekly paychecks skip the first deposit in the new year. So it basically goes from December 20 to January 17, skipping January 3. I tried changing manually to another interval and then changing back but it still has the same error.
    lemme14, thanks for reporting this issue and working with us to reproduce the problem.  There does appear to be an odd scheduled transaction bug that occurs between December and January when setting the schedule to be bi-weekly and possibly having the starting date at the end of the month.  We're starting to investigate.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    The show/hide column is not working for Investment accounts on my version, 5.12.1. See my earlier comment. It works for other accounts, banking, property, debts, etc. Any fix planned for this? I quit QMac and restarted but no change. Haven't rebooted my Mac. Maybe that will fix the issue. I'll try.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    I rebooted and installed 5.12.2. This issue with show/hide column is still not working for Investment type accounts.
  • RickO
    @James Sapp  Are you saying you can't control which columns appear in the transaction register for an investment account? Or the portfolio view? Or are you saying the show/hide of the account in the sidebar isn't working? Something else? (I'm not aware of anything that's actually called "show/hide column".)
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Transaction view. When I click on the hide/show column icon, it instantaneously displays for a nanosecond and disappears. Works fine for other types of accounts.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hide/show column is at the bottom of the transaction view and allow you to control what columns are visible.
  • RickO
    Got it. Long shot, but you may want to try changing the Preferences setting for Toolbar to Always Hide. Then quit Quicken, relaunch, and change back to Always Show.

Normally I'd suggest deleting the Quicken app and re-downlaoded from your Quicken.com account. But I'm not sure if that would download the new version.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    RickO
    Tried your suggestion without success. Earlier I rebooted the computer and when it came back on line a new version of QM was available, 5.12.2, which I installed. This did not resolve the problem. As I said earlier, the show/hide feature works on other types of accounts.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    Just downloaded 5.12.2; not experienced what must be quite frustrating for @James Sapp. James do you still have a copy of 5.11 on your computer (check your trash can)? If you do, you might want to reinstall it ,make sure all is working properly than update to 5.12.2 again.
    I realize this is a bit painful but that's where my thinking takes me.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Yes, there is a copy in the trash. I removed it from the trash and tried to open a 5.11 file but Quicken stopped responding and I had to force quit it. I tried to open the latest version, 5.12.2 and it stops responding and have to to force quit. How to I get QM to run again?
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    I got it to run again as 5.12.2. How to I get by to 5.11.2? It was in the trash and I moved it to the desktop to try to run it but it hangs up.
  • nkelesh
    nkelesh Member ✭✭
    I'm on 5.12.2 and under Bills & Income, all bill amounts are now showing total account balance rather than amount to be paid. This is throwing off the projected balance graph. In previous version, you could enter the amount to be paid in details page and it would stick. Now if you edit the instance and enter an amount it has no impact.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    See if you can delete 5.12.2 off your machine. Move 5.11.2 to your applications folder. 

Cannot run a 5.11 data file on 5.12.2. you have to get back to running 5.11.2, use your latest and greatest 5.11.2 backup to make sure the data is correct.

Do you have something like  App-cleaner to remove all the components of 5.12.2?

when you completely removed 5.12.2 & you have 5.11.2 running correctly, try to do the 5.12.2 update
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    I can try. Will it open the current working file or do I need to open a backup file?
    Since updating to 5.12.2, I have downloaded updates to many of my accounts.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    It's getting late for me so I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.