Manually-entered security prices not transferred from QM 2007 to "new" Quicken (2019)

tmplee
tmplee Member ✭✭
This is a show-stopper if it's confirmed by others. I have at least one account that has a non-listed security (a mutual fund in an annuity) in it. There is no ticker symbol for it. I have to enter the current price roughly every month when the statement shows up. The security detail screen price history for QM 2007 shows prices for it roughly every month from 9/21/10 to 7/30/19 (the last time I updated it.) Up to this point it looked like everything else in the QM 2007 file converted fine to "new" Quicken. I hadn't checked everything in detail, but just happened to look at this one account. It shows only two prices for the mutual fund: one on 9/21/10 and one for the day the file was converted (I have two recent instances of doing that.) I was annoyed enough by this I'm afraid I didn't look to see if the topic has already been covered or how I should bring it to Quicken's attention.
Tagged:

Comments

• tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    More details. I examined another security (another mutual fund) whose prices need to be manually entered. The QM 2007 file has roughly 60 price history entries for it, from 9/10/7 through 5/2/10. The "new" Quicken transfer of it has only 7 entries, from 5/2/10 thru 9/1/9. All but two correspond to the prices and dates in the QM 2007 file. One of those has a different price than the corresponding one in the QM 2007 file and one is a (made up?) price for the date the file was converted. It looks in converting it dropped mostly all but Friday dates, with a few exceptions, plus everything after (20 entries) 9/1/9.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    OK, I need to edit the title to remove the exclamation points. I solved the problem by giving the securities in question phony ticker symbols. All historical prices transferred over just fine. But there is still one remaining problem that I'd like to know how to bring to the attention of the Quicken folks: when the QM 2007 file is converted, Quicken attempts to update all prices on all securities. It appears that if it can't find a price from the quote server it makes up a price that is the same as the last price it has on record. I don't know why the designers decided to do that — they should have left the last price as the last price! When the next statement for that account comes in, which might not be for a couple of months, it will have new prices for that particular security on one or more dates, which could be either before or after the conversion date, and I'll have find the one Quicken inserted and delete it.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though it does not documented anywhere, security price history is known to NOT be carried over from QM2007. This is one of the items that I documented here:
    List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

I believe any price history is built only from transaction history, so any manually entered price history will be lost.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @smayer97 That is simply incorrect. Manually-entered price history does get imported from Quicken 2007. If it didn't, none of my securities would have the month-end or quarter-end values I entered manually for many years -- but they do.

Here's are two screen shots of a portion of two securities just to illustrate. The first is a security whose price I would enter in Quicken 2007 each month from a monthly brokerage statement; the second is a security I would enter each quarter from a quarterly brokerage statement. As you can see, those manually-entered prices imported into modern Quicken: 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    @smayer97 and @jacobs I don't know if either of you saw my later comment that I discovered that if I gave the security (securities, actually) in question a made-up non-existent ticker symbol in QM 2007 the prices all transferred over fine, exactly as they had been entered. (The hint for trying that was the warning that was given when I tried exporting just security prices, QM 2007 said it wouldn't export any that didn't have a ticker symbol.) BUT BUT BUT I did observe a design error: When 2019 tried importing security prices (a) it went out to find recent prices on-line (that's OK) but (b) if it couldn't find an on-line price it MADE ONE UP — it picked up whatever was the last price it could find that had been transferred over and inserted it as a price (High, Low, and Close, zero volume) for the date the conversion was taking place. HOW DO I DRAW THAT TO QUICKEN'S ATTENTION? That definitely shouldn't happen and causes lots of extra work (tracking down when it might have happened and deleting all such entries.) Roughly speaking I have two-dozen securities, both past and present, whose prices are manually entered and I'll have to delete that made-up price for each one of them. Will it cause problems if I don't? In most cases probably not (since I no longer hold any shares of many of them) but I don't know for sure when it might.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    @jacobs — in reference to your last comment (showing the two securities whose prices had been manually entered and transferred fine) did your "new" Quicken insert a price for the date you made the conversion (which presumably was after the last date you entered manually)?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @tmplee Like you, I went back into my Quicken 2007 file and added ticker symbols to almost all my securities so the price history would come across in the migration to Quicken 2019.

In my case, all my currently-held securities actually have real ticker symbols, so I didn't exactly replicate your situation. But I can see that for securities I no longer hold, the conversion did create a transaction on the date of the conversions using the last manually-entered price for opening, closing, high and low. Since I have no shares of these securities, I wouldn't have noticed this.

For securities I currently own, Quicken inserted a price on the day of conversion which is not only not the last price manually entered in Quicken 2007, but an inexplicably wrong price; then on the next business day, Quicken automatically downloaded the correct current price. I guess I didn't check my portfolio values right after conversion, so I didn't notice this oddity until you sent me checking for it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.