Unable to read Data File when converting from Windows to Mac

Options
I'm trying to convert a data file from Quicken for Windows 2012. It import appears to start to work, then I get the message "Quicken was not able to read the contents of your QDF file." Now what can I do?

Best Answer

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    See if this link is helpful. Pay particular attention to  the link in blue titled - "If you are having trouble converting files, follow this step"

It appears from information in the link that you may have to install a "converter" and there is a link to do that

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016
  • pattyleeNJ
    pattyleeNJ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for trying, but the "if you are having trouble" link doesn't appear to make sense. It talks about installing a new converter on the Windows machine, but it is on the Mac that I am trying to convert. Also, I don't see why deleting temp files on the Windows machine would apply.
  • pattyleeNJ
    pattyleeNJ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you! None of the instructions I read indicated that I would need to convert on the Windows side; they seemed to imply that the Mac converter would do it! But after I got the Windows converter and ran it, I was able to create the QFX and import into my new Mac version of Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "None of the instructions I read indicated that I would need to convert on the Windows side; "
    That's because none of the instructions were written in contemplation of converting a QDF that was that old.
    QDF files from recent QWin versions CAN be read directly by QMac.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What steps are you using to perform the conversion? QMac is designed to be able to read QW2004 data and newer using the internal converter that is already in QMac; no need to download or use another converter.

In some cases, due to some internal clean-up needed, it is best to first upgrade to QW2013 (available from Quicken for free here under "If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009" ) then migrate to QMac but that is usually not necessary.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.