Unable to read Data File when converting from Windows to Mac

I'm trying to convert a data file from Quicken for Windows 2012. It import appears to start to work, then I get the message "Quicken was not able to read the contents of your QDF file." Now what can I do?

Best Answer

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    See if this link is helpful. Pay particular attention to  the link in blue titled - "If you are having trouble converting files, follow this step"

It appears from information in the link that you may have to install a "converter" and there is a link to do that

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016
  • pattyleeNJ
    pattyleeNJ Member ✭✭
    Thank you for trying, but the "if you are having trouble" link doesn't appear to make sense. It talks about installing a new converter on the Windows machine, but it is on the Mac that I am trying to convert. Also, I don't see why deleting temp files on the Windows machine would apply.
  • pattyleeNJ
    pattyleeNJ Member ✭✭
    Thank you! None of the instructions I read indicated that I would need to convert on the Windows side; they seemed to imply that the Mac converter would do it! But after I got the Windows converter and ran it, I was able to create the QFX and import into my new Mac version of Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "None of the instructions I read indicated that I would need to convert on the Windows side; "
    That's because none of the instructions were written in contemplation of converting a QDF that was that old.
    QDF files from recent QWin versions CAN be read directly by QMac.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What steps are you using to perform the conversion? QMac is designed to be able to read QW2004 data and newer using the internal converter that is already in QMac; no need to download or use another converter.

In some cases, due to some internal clean-up needed, it is best to first upgrade to QW2013 (available from Quicken for free here under "If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009" ) then migrate to QMac but that is usually not necessary.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.