Add Lifetime/Retirement Planner to Quicken Mac (70 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

I don’t know how many people have not even tried the Lifetime Planner. Mind boggling. It’s what got me through most large life and financial hurtles. I “knew” I could do it thanks to Quicken.

Reporting is many times easier in the windows versions also. Mac “hard codes” most. Not flexible.

I don’t understand why recent updates haven’t fixed this difference.

I’ve never used Regina. But I am familiar with remote viewing and usage. I find them slow. But then so is windows under Parallels. I give up.

John, I agree. I have to imagine there is some plan for rewriting the Quicken Windows app at some point, because continuing to graft patches onto patches onto patches of code that has been created in different development environments over three decades probably has some finite limit. But any misstep in that process could send users scurrying away to competing products, so they need a really well-thought out approach to any such project.

As we've seen with the Quicken Mac redevelopment from the ground up, there are many landmines. First, the developers decided not to try to build an exact replica of the old Quicken Mac (nor Quicken Windows), but to build a product that offered similar features, re-thought, to see if they could be done better, and leaner. That approach resulted in some things that are indeed better about the modern Quicken Mac than the old -- but I think they underestimated how many features, large and small, from the old product that users would clamor for; I think they had hoped to eliminate some of the things that had been grafter on over many years of development, only to find that users wanted those features back.

Now, the Mac project was a mess from the start, so it cannot be looked at as a good, clean-sheet rebuild. It was first conceived to be a pretty different product, and was infused with a bit of DNA from Mint, which Intuit bought and then promptly installed the Mint CEO as head of the Quicken division. The first effort of the Mac re-write didn't even make it out of beta. The second effort was the severely under-powered Quicken Essentials. When sales of Essentials floundered because it didn't meet the needs of many users, and the former Mint CEO departed, new Intuit management eventually decided it was time to build on the start of Essentials and turn it into a full-fledged Quicken Deluxe for Mac. Unfortunately, they assigned only a few people to the development team, so the progress was slow; when the new Quicken came out as Quicken 2015, it was really a minimum viable product -- an upgrade for long-suffering Essentials users, but a step backward for Quicken 2007 users. Over the past five years, the developers have slowly worked to build out the feature set of Quicken Mac, and after separating from Intuit, the development team was enlarged to help speed up development -- but they still have a very long list of feature requests to implement.

Bottom line: hopefully Quicken learned a lot from the Mac re-write project, and has incorporated those lessons into their long-term plan for what to do with Quicken Windows. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • hwoolf
    hwoolf Member
    When will Quicken for Mac have a lifelong planner?  I recently converted from the Windows version to the MAC version of Quicken but really miss the lifetime planning feature.  When will that get added to the features on the MAC version?
  • hwoolf
    hwoolf Member
     adding the same feature that is now in the Windows version will enable the MAC product to fulfill a significant gap in the MAC product by providing a financial planning capability and open the applicable sales to a broader market as well as solve a limitation in your installed base.
  • dhammabob
    dhammabob Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, please add my vote to add this feature to Mac version. it is critical for me staying on top of my retirement planning. Thanks.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have not done so already, click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• vigiolto@
    vigiolto@ Member ✭✭
    I am converting to a Mac computer and am really disappointed to learn that the Lifetime Planner is not available in Quicken Premier for Mac. Not having the Planner is a deal breaker as I navigate by the thing. Any idea if it is scheduled for release anytime soon?
  • Hello vigiolto,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for bringing your concern here!

I went ahead and merged your post with an existing Idea thread requesting the same feature.

Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer. 

This Idea thread has received a large amount of support and is currently marked as Under Consideration, so please be sure to add your vote to it!  :)

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• jacobs
    @vigiolto To cast your vote for this feature, you must go to the first page of this thread click the green "1" below, or just click here. In the blue box under the first post, click the little gray triangle under the vote counter; you'll see the vote go up by one.
  • PLEASE add Lifetime Planning Tool capability to Quicken for Mac! Thanks!
  • raus0046
    raus0046 Member
    Please add in Retirement / Planning Tools for Mac. It would be great to get the Mac version on par with the Windows version. thanks.
  • Langston Holland
    Langston Holland Member ✭✭✭
    Adding the Lifetime Planner module to Quicken for Mac would provide a strong differentiation with the other personal financial software available for this platform. Just make sure it has the horsepower that the Windows module has, thank you.
    God bless you and your precious families - Langston
  • okrent
    okrent Member ✭✭
    Please please please! I deeply want to switch from the PC version - which I've been using for more than 30 years! - to the Mac version, but the retirement planner is essential!!
  • vigiolto@
    vigiolto@ Member ✭✭
    I have to keep a windows pc that is only dedicated to Quicken because there is no lifetime planner for the Mac version and I rely on it for many financial decisions. This is a criminal discrimination against Mac users. Please please prioritize this programming. It will help Quicken sales greatly. If this isn’t added soon, I’ll change to Personal Capital later this year when my subscription expires and Quicken will lose another subscriber.
  • kinseattle
    kinseattle Member ✭✭
    Switched to the new Mac version a couple of years ago and am glad I did so with one major exception - I dearly miss the lifetime planner. The voting buttons aren't work but please add my voice to the clammer
  • emarth55
    emarth55 Member
    Also want to add on the importance of this feature. Not sure why I'm paying the same amount for less product because I'm on a Mac. At minimum I hope this can be added to Quicken Web for mac users to be able to access. Unfortunately the lack of this feature is forcing me to consider other solutions
  • RL-Scott
    RL-Scott Member
    I have been a Quicken user for over 30 years and migrated from Windows to Mac Version in 2017. The one CRITICAL piece that is missing is the Retirement Lifetime Planner. I just came across my old version and enjoyed looking at it.
    PLEASE add my vote to incorporate that into the MAC version. Willing to pay more.
  • sbbabcock
    sbbabcock Member ✭✭
    Old thread. Any update to the Lifetime Planner for Mac?
    Quicken user since 1991
  • jacobs
    @sbbabcock  Unfortunately, there is typically no "update" on a feature request until something is released; they rarely pre-announce future features.

Well, let me amend that a bit. If you click "1" to go to the first page of this thread and look at the blue voting box, you'll see it's currently marked "Under Consideration". That means that the idea has garnered enough votes that the forum moderators have submitted the idea to the Mac development team for evaluation: do they think it's a good idea? is it feasible to do? how much time would it take to implement? would it impact other areas of the program? is it compatible with or how would it affect mobile/web cloud usage? Etc. They eventually deem is something they'll commit to doing at some point in the future, and the status is changed to "Planned", or they decide it's not something they're going to put on the development roadmap, and the status is changed to "Not Planned".

Unfortunately for users, once an idea is marked "Under Consideration," it may stay that way for a long time; there are some ideas on this site that have been "Under Consideration" for two years! Part of the "consideration" the developers need to do is spec out what would be involved in the project so they know how much time it would take from different people on the development team; for major projects like creating a Lifetime Planner, just that evaluation phase can take a lot of time, and may therefore sit on the back burner for a long time. And then, if the idea advanced to being marked "Planned," we get no idea of where it sits on the very long priority list; some ideas go from Planned to released in months, while others take years.

So that's a long-winded explanation that there should be an interim update if/when this idea changes from "Under Consideration" to "Planned." But since it's been "Under Consideration" for 20 months as of the time this is written, I wouldn't hold your breath… ;)
  • Andersod
    Andersod Member ✭✭
    Original Quicken Premier had a retirement planning function that I am sure a lot of user did and would find very beneficial. Is this report and function coming back to Quicken? It seems like we are paying more for less.
  • Andrew Dubin
    Andrew Dubin Member ✭✭
    Any updates when the MAC version will incorporate lifetime/retirement planner?

At this point, many years have past and I think Quicken is NOT going to add this functionality. I think Quicken should consider putting this functionality on the web which will allow Windows and MAC users access as well as simplify maintenance and updates.
  • sstatz
    sstatz Member ✭✭
    I have Q Premier for windows and use the lifetime planner. Is there one on the Mac version of Premier?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @sstatz

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question. This feature is currently unavailable for the Mac version.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the Lifetime Planner to the Mac version. This idea is "Under Consideration" meaning it is being reviewed for potential implementation. I am unable to provide an ETA on when or if this is available.

This post will be updated as soon a more information becomes available.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • DZK
    DZK Member ✭✭
    I agree. Would love to have the retirement planner in Quicken for Mac. I used it on my windows version and want it on the Mac version. User for over 20 years
  • cgreco16
    cgreco16 Member
    Still hoping that this feature gets added to the Mac version. I'd prefer to use this kind of tool in Quicken for Mac, running on my machine using data stored in my protected files, than in web-based tools that are most likely using data for there own purposes.
  • Matt
    Matt Member ✭✭✭
    +1 for this feature. Like the newest update, but still feel like the Mac version is years behind Windows and not enough features for me to recommend to others. Holding out hope, but also looking at alternatives.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Matt said:
    +1 for this feature. Like the newest update, but still feel like the Mac version is years behind Windows and not enough features for me to recommend to others. Holding out hope, but also looking at alternatives.
    I think if you look at the competitors to Quicken Mac you will find that none of them have a lifetime/retirement planner.  Quicken Mac is behind Quicken Windows since it was rewritten, as far as features go, but none of the competitors are in much better shape, and Quicken Mac is getting new features at a pretty fast rate.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • DZK
    DZK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    [removed - no soliciting]
  • Matt
    Matt Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I think if you look at the competitors to Quicken Mac you will find that none of them have a lifetime/retirement planner.  Quicken Mac is behind Quicken Windows since it was rewritten, as far as features go, but none of the competitors are in much better shape, and Quicken Mac is getting new features at a pretty fast rate.

From a software/app perspective, I agree. However, many (most?) big financial firms have lifetime/retirement modeling on their websites. I would prefer to have been able to use Quicken's Lifetime Planner as I did when I was a window's user, but the more I need to use 3rd party websites and apps the more it lessens my reliance on Quicken. However, I am a longtime Quicken user, so don't take abandoning it lightly. I do love some of the new features in the most recent Mac updates too (e.g. dark mode and the investment dashboard. A step in the right direction.
  • nitinsaichopra
    nitinsaichopra Member ✭✭
    Please add this LTP to Mac version. This is very much needed.