Calendar pop-up defaults to Dec 31, 2999 (or 1899 or 1900) (Q Mac)

Answers

• PaulVonasek
    PaulVonasek Member, Mac Beta Beta
    See attached snapshot. Running Mac Movjave (10.14.6) on Quicken Premier ver. 5.15.2. When you select on an existing entry then click on the date box, the pop up displays the Month and Year of "Dec 1899". In the entry/snapshot the actual date is 23-Mar-2020 and I want to change to a late/future date for scheduleing purposes. This is the first time I see the date box not with the "current" Month & Year... was not on pervious releases of Quicken Premier.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @MarieRediess  There's no reason to scroll through 120 years! First, you can just type the date; even if the calendar is visible, you can type the date. Second, if you have the calendar visible, there's a Today button which jumps that date to today, from where you can move up or down as needed. (Alternatively, just type 't' to jump the date to today.)

It's a newly-introduced bug, to be sure, but it's just a minor inconvenience that's easily worked around.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hydra-Glide
    Hydra-Glide Member ✭✭
    Bug report... After updating to 5.15.2, in the date portion of the register, when you click on the small calendar icon, the calendar reverts to January 1, 1900... If you select "today" from a date other than today, it will enter "todays date". But if you try to change the date using the calendar icon, it reverts to January 1, 1900. All registers I have (I have 3) exhibit this behavior. You manually have to enter the date... the calendar function in the register does not work. Is this a known bug, or is there a work around? I recall "reindexing" Quicken 2007... anything like that now? Thanks.
  • Fred M. Rhoades
    Fred M. Rhoades Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ricko said, "Check that in System Preferences > Language & Region > Calendar is set to Gregorian." There is no such choice on my Quicken for Mac (Version 5.15.2 (Build 515.33015.100)) As I see from the continuing a discussion, this IS a BUG. Next time I will go through Help ... Report a problem ... (Removed-Argumentative/Disruptive)
  • croper56
    croper56 Member ✭✭
    Same problem with the pop-up calendar and it's SUPER annoying. Trying to be patient on the fix but it can't come fast enough.
  • jacobs
    croper56 said:
    Same problem with the pop-up calendar and it's SUPER annoying. Trying to be patient on the fix but it can't come fast enough.
    For now, just click the Today button or type the letter "t" and the calendar will pop back to today. One click or key works you around the problem until they release a fix.
  • croper56
    croper56 Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > For now, just click the Today button or type the letter "t" and the calendar will pop back to today. One click or key works you around the problem until they release a fix.

Wow -- thanks a ton! Somehow I missed that "type the letter t" tip. That helps a lot.
  • mglanovsky
    mglanovsky Member ✭✭
    Good thought about trying to change Calendar type from ISO to Gregorian, but it didn't work for me. I found my Calendar was already set to Gregorian anyway.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Good thought about trying to change Calendar type from ISO to Gregorian, but it didn't work for me. I found my Calendar was already set to Gregorian anyway.
    Turns out there was one person for whom that fixed the issue, but it was before the bug introduced in 5.15.2 and was apparently unrelated.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • maryellenwalter
    maryellenwalter Member ✭✭
    Same here - started with yesterday's updated (21Mar20). Q for MAC. The calendar defaults to Jan 1, 1900.
  • Varadi
    Varadi Member ✭✭
    > @"Zach Lambrinon" said:
    > When entering a date using the pop up calerdar, the default date is Jan 1900 and not the current date

Same problem here since the update. Doesn't Quicken test the software before they deploy it. I'm running on Mac. Quicken needs to fix it!!
  • Varadi
    Varadi Member ✭✭
    > @Varadi said:
    > > @"Zach Lambrinon" said:
    > > When entering a date using the pop up calerdar, the default date is Jan 1900 and not the current date
    >
    > Same problem here since the update. Doesn't Quicken test the software before they deploy it. I'm running on Mac. Quicken needs to fix it!!

When I try to do an online payment using direct connect to my bank and click on the calendar January 1900 shows up on the calendar instead of the current month.
  • Varadi
    Varadi Member ✭✭
    > @mglanovsky said:
    > Good thought about trying to change Calendar type from ISO to Gregorian, but it didn't work for me. I found my Calendar was already set to Gregorian anyway.

How do you set it to Gregorian? I'm running the latest version of El Capitan on Mac.
  • mglanovsky
    mglanovsky Member ✭✭
    Hi Varadi:

Probably NOT the issue, but go to System Preferences, Date & Time, Open Language & Region Preferences, and confirm that Calendar: Gregorian is set.
    Mine already was, so... (this was a fix for one user). Not us ;-(

M.
  • marjiea1
    marjiea1 Member
    Same problem, pop up showing January 1900 on Quicken for Mac Version 5.15.2 (Build 515.33015.100), Mac OS 10.15.3 (19D76).
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Varadi said:
    Same problem here since the update. Doesn't Quicken test the software before they deploy it. I'm running on Mac. Quicken needs to fix it!!
    Yes, Quicken tests the software including a beta cycle. However, in this case, I would expect that beta testers, as very experienced Quicken users, rarely if ever use the popup calendar because using the date keyboard shortcuts is quicker and easier. Those shortcuts are posted previously in this thread, one of which makes this a single-keystroke inconvenience until it's fixed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • sheilaviera
    sheilaviera Member
    How to get calendar back to 2020
  • jacobs
    RickO said:
    Varadi said:
    Yes, Quicken tests the software including a beta cycle. However, in this case, I would expect that beta testers, as very experienced Quicken users, rarely if ever use the popup calendar because using the date keyboard shortcuts is quicker and easier.
    It should also be noted that some smaller bug fix releases, such as 5.15.2, are often tested internally by Quicken and do not go through beta testing like major releases do.

In any case, as has been written multiple times int his thread (a) Quicken has been alerted to this bug, and (b) you can work around it simply by typing 't' to switch the date to today, so it's not a major inconvenience until it;s fixed.

• PaulVonasek
    PaulVonasek Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I've worked for a few software developers and "testing is required, very serious" and part of any software release. And when there are lots of new features + bug fixes means lots of testing, incl. regression, general, OS revision's, white and black box + published platforms, plus any new feature specific tests developed by the developer + Dev Tester. More platforms (incl. access to them) and OS's also means it costs lots of time and money. But software companies do make trade-offs and may scale back some tests with known risks. Also, there is one test I esp. like that should not be overlooked called "eat your own dog food". I'm sure Quicken does above but still comes down to risks/trade-offs and I would suspect the coronavirus played into the 5.15.2 release as it came out just after we are here in silicon Valley are now shelter-in-place. Aka Work From Home but the point here is this, should any of the above tests require "hands on to the equipment" how is that done if WFH ... which may lead to unknown and/or bugs getting out when it was released. But a good dev team will triage and correct this in the future as they learn, change behavior to WFH. In closing, this bug is not a critical, its an incovience that has work-arounds. Be patient fellow Quicken for Mac users as Quicken will deliver a update.
  • absaroka
    absaroka Member ✭✭
    I am using Quicken Deluxe for Mac 2020. If I want to change the date on a transaction the pop up calendar show Jan. 1900. It doesn't show the current month on the pop up calendar. So if I want to change the date I have to do it manually.

Allen
  • absaroka
    absaroka Member ✭✭
    I forgot to add if any one else has had this problem and how can I correct it.

Allen
  • GeorgeG1955
    GeorgeG1955 Member
    Hi Allen, I am having the exact same issue as you on Quicken for Mac 2020. This only seemed to have surfaced recently with an update. I hope Quicken Support reports this bug and gets it fixed ASAP. It is really annoying. I also noticed the scrolling of an account also goes to the oldest register item forcing you to scroll to the bottom to get to current transactions. For me, it is a VERY long scroll going back to early 1990's. Again, this scroll behavior is also new and another related bug. Tried to CHAT with a Quicken Agent about this and they appear to be CLOSED at 9:26AM EST Monday3/23/20. Totally unacceptable level of service. George
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @absaroka,

Apparently this issue has to do with a calendar setting - here's a cut & paste of the fix for this issue:

I have the MacOS calendar type set to ISO 8601 to get calendar week numbering in Calendar to be consistent with how my employer numbers calendar weeks. If I switch back to Gregorian, the calendar pop-up behaves properly. So, it's a problem with how Quicken parses dates when the calendar type is ISO 8601.

So the solution is to switch your MacOS calendar to Gregorian.  In case you want to see the entire message thread, here's the link https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871694/calendar-pop-up-defaults-to-dec-31-2999-or-1899-or-1900-q-mac/p1

Let me know if you continue to have problems or have any additional questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• absaroka
    absaroka Member ✭✭
    Thank you George. I thought I had done something to cause this. I did the last update a couple days ago. I was okay before that. You are right I hope they fix it soon.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @absaroka,

See my answer to your other question.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• absaroka
    absaroka Member ✭✭
    Where do I find the MacOS Calendar type set to ISO 8601 on macbook Pro
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @absaroka,

Here's the sequence:

Go to your calendar settings in System Preferences > Language & Region are the defaults. Check Region, Calendar (Gregorian), and Advanced > Dates.

Make sure you set it as Gregorian,

Frankx

• absaroka
    absaroka Member ✭✭
    Mine is set for Gregorian. Under advanced > Dates it is showing 4-1-1976. So what else should I do
This discussion has been closed.