Add ability to customize the asset class menu (37 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Stephen Fisher
    Stephen Fisher Member ✭✭✭
    And there are competing securities classes in the same list, so you can't chose between small cap and large cap if you select International securities.  I learned in my first database design class that you can't have 2 options in list where you only select one.  It requires a different list.
  • todd vogt
    todd vogt Member ✭✭
    Completely agree. This feature needs to be added!
  • 186kmph
    186kmph Member ✭✭
    Currently there is only a limited set of asset classes and many standard ones (such as Mid Cap) are not present. Please add the ability to create and manage Asset Class much like categories so I can properly manage my investment. This is needed for rebalancing of a portfolio across the holdings in a particular class.
  • lanceaustx
    lanceaustx Member ✭✭
    Indeed, this would be a real help for the many of us who actively manage our own portfolios and pay attention to more detailed allocations than just the simple asset categories that Quicken presently provides.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @lanceaustx @186kmph @todd vogt and any others who want to see this functionality added to Quicken Mac: make sure you vote for this feature by going to the first post in this thread, finding the blue box with votes, and clicking the small gray arrow under the vote counter. Posting comments is good, but you must vote to move this item higher up the developers' priority list. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • vahe guzelimian
    vahe guzelimian Member ✭✭✭
    This feature should be at the top of the list of features to modify. Without being able to customize asset class or investment type, asset allocators CAN'TR use Quicken 2019 Mac. I have to still use Quicken 2007 Mac because the current version doesn't allow me to define all the asset classes I use. I've been paying for Quicken by subscription since it came out and I have just thrown the money away. I thought they would have enabled custom asset classes by now.
  • jacobs
    @vahe guzelimian Your note highlights the problem with all the features users want to see added to Quicken Mac. For you, this should be at the top of the priority list. For people who extensively use the budget, adding the ability to include transfers is at the top of the list. For people who keep books for small non-profits, adding Income Statement and Balance Sheet reports should be at the top of the list. For many investors, investment reports are at the top of the list. And so on...

Depending how we each use Quicken, different features "should be at the top of the list." The developers have to pick based on what they perceive will have the greatest impact or affect the largest number of users. That's where voting helps. But fortunately, voting here is only one of many factors they take into account when deciding which requests to tackle. This idea topic has only 35 votes as of the time I'm writing this, which isn't as high as many others. That doesn't mean it won't get done, but it gives you some idea that Quicken Mac users have rated some other issues as higher priorities.

I'd suggest that while you're waiting, you perhaps try to develop a workflow of dropping your investment data into a spreadsheet so you can do the allocation analysis there that you can't currently do in Quicken. For instance, you could view your securities in Quicken, print to a PDF file, and use one of several free PDF-to-Excel applications to open the data in Excel (or Numbers). It's not optimal, but it should make Quicken better than unusable for you.
  • vahe guzelimian
    > @jacobs said:
    > @vahe guzelimian Your note highlights the problem with all the features users want to see added to Quicken Mac. For you, this should be at the top of the priority list. For people who extensively use the budget, adding the ability to include transfers is at the top of the list. For people who keep books for small non-profits, adding Income Statement and Balance Sheet reports should be at the top of the list. For many investors, investment reports are at the top of the list. And so on...
    >
    > Depending how we each use Quicken, different features "should be at the top of the list." The developers have to pick based on what they perceive will have the greatest impact or affect the largest number of users. That's where voting helps. But fortunately, voting here is only one of many factors they take into account when deciding which requests to tackle. This idea topic has only 35 votes as of the time I'm writing this, which isn't as high as many others. That doesn't mean it won't get done, but it gives you some idea that Quicken Mac users have rated some other issues as higher priorities.
    >
    > I'd suggest that while you're waiting, you perhaps try to develop a workflow of dropping your investment data into a spreadsheet so you can do the allocation analysis there that you can't currently do in Quicken. For instance, you could view your securities in Quicken, print to a PDF file, and use one of several free PDF-to-Excel applications to open the data in Excel (or Numbers). It's not optimal, but it should make Quicken better than unusable for you.

Thanks for your wise comments. One reason why there aren't a lot of votes is due to the fact that there doesn't appear to be a place to vote at the top of the page as suggested. I haven't been able to vote...
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voting is at top of page 1 in blue banner under 1st post.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• vahe guzelimian
    Why does Voting say "no status"?
  • jacobs
    The status area is for any note from the development team. Most idea threads here say "No Status", meaning that the developers either haven't assessed the idea, or aren't willing to commit to anything yet. A small number of thread show a status of "Under Consideration" which suggests they are evaluating the idea, both its merit and how they would implement it. A still smaller group of ideas say "Planned" to indicate the developers have committed to the idea in some future release. A very few show "Not Planned" to indicate they have rejected the idea.
  • vahe guzelimian
    Thanks jacobs, great info.
  • Michael Smith
    Michael Smith Member ✭✭
    Need this capability as soon as possible. Q2007 will soon quit working.
  • vahe guzelimian
    > @Michael Smith said:
    > Need this capability as soon as possible. Q2007 will soon quit working.

I'm with you, Michael. Such an easy change to make. A 16-year-old could code it in one afternoon!!
  • vahe guzelimian
    Michael did you Vote?
  • Michael Smith
    Michael Smith Member ✭✭
    Yes I did. Hope they implement this capability!!!!!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Need this capability as soon as possible. Q2007 will soon quit working.
    Keep in mind that as long as you do not have a need to upgrade to Catalina, QM2007 will continue to work in manual mode in macOS up to Mojave (10.14). But if you do need to upgrade, consider using a VM (virtual machine). Though it is not for everyone, it may be a viable option to be able to run a version of macOS that is compatible with QM2007 on top of Catalina.

If you do venture to do this, please add your experiences on the following thread:
    Share your experience running QM2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Magamp
    Magamp Member ✭✭
    I think that I voted but the count didn't seem to increase. I would support at least a limited ability to customize the asset class segment or have the developers incorporate a more robust list. Ideas could include a differentiation of government and coporate bonds and perhaps other types of similar assets.
  • vahe guzelimian
    We need to be able to customize asset class or Quicken Mac is useleass for asset allocators.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magamp said:
    I think that I voted but the count didn't seem to increase. I would support at least a limited ability to customize the asset class segment or have the developers incorporate a more robust list. Ideas could include a differentiation of government and coporate bonds and perhaps other types of similar assets.
    To add your vote, click on the little grey triangle below the count on page 1. It takes a moment to register your vote. If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.

• jar828
    jar828 Member
    I'd like to request an enhancement--allow users to add asset classes. For example, I'd like to be able to have an asset class for mid cap stocks and real estate. Please consider!
  • mbs3
    mbs3 Member ✭✭
    I agree. The ability to add and edit asset classes would be very helpful.
  • vahe guzelimian
    Please vote to have this feature added, we need all the help we can get.

> @mbs3 said:
    > I agree. The ability to add and edit asset classes would be very helpful.

> @jar828 said:
    > I'd like to request an enhancement--allow users to add asset classes. For example, I'd like to be able to have an asset class for mid cap stocks and real estate. Please consider!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, you must click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).

• jwkz
    jwkz Member ✭✭
    I upgraded to Quicken Win Premier 2019 thinking that it would surely allow more specific asset classes. Wrong! It's basically no better than my first Quicken 2002.

This is a disgrace, Quicken. Please fix it.
  • vahe guzelimian
    I agree jwkz. It's a disgrace. This should be the number # priority feature for Quicken otherwise, for anyone with investments, the product is absolutely useless. I have to still use Quicken 2007 because I manage my money by asset class.
  • jacobs
    This should be the number # priority feature for Quicken otherwise, for anyone with investments, the product is absolutely useless.
    I absolutely agree that this is a feature that's needed (and I've voted for it), but I just want to say that if I had a dollar for every different feature that a Quicken user has said should be The Number One Priority for development, I think I'd be wealthy enough not to need Quicken. ;)

It always amazes me how differently we all use Quicken, and which features we depend on/need/want.  It's frustrating that the pace of development is as slow as it is, and I only draw some consolation from the fact that they are making progress on adding important functionality users have asked for. 
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    > @Jasdelaney said:
    > I'm using the latest version of Quicken for Mac.  I would like to group my portfolio by types that are user defined, not just the Quicken default categories of Mutual Funds and Stocks.  For example, I would like to further sub-divide my securities into the asset classes of commodities (metal, energy funds), small cap stock funds, large cap stock funds, bond funds (long term, short term), etc.  This type of categorization allows me to monitor my portfolio diversification, which I must now do on spreadsheets.

I would also like to do the same. Can Quicken get more granular asset classifications from Factset or Bloomberg or another source? If not, then give use a user defined asset field.
  • pwants
    pwants Member ✭✭
    At least an ETFs type could be added to separated it from stock, bond or mutual fund types in portfolios.
  • Tim1963
    Tim1963 Member ✭✭
    I would like to see midcap and either REITS or realesate added as asset classes.