Provide a way to duplicate reminders

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
I often find it necessary to create a new reminder (repeating scheduled transaction) by slightly modifying an existing one.
There is currently no easy way to do this in QWin. One must create a whole new reminder from scratch. This takes minutes when it could take seconds with the appropriate feature enhancement.
I'd like to see a "Duplicate Reminder" function in the Reminders window or a "Save As New" button in the Edit Reminder dialogs.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

12 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    A good idea, I've added a vote.

As a workaround in the meantime, if there is already a transaction in the register with contents close to the reminder that I want, what I do is right click that transaction and then "Add Reminder" from the pop up menu.  That opens the add reminder window pre-populated with the transaction's details which can be modified and saved as a new reminder.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Yes, I'm aware of creating a reminder from an existing transaction. What sparked my post was the fact that it took me 1/2 hour to update my estimated tax payments based on the new federal and CA schedules. I had to create new reminders from scratch when it would have been much easier and faster to duplicate them.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity ... what new transactions did you have to create to set up estimated tax payments based on the new federal and CA schedules?
    Since I don't have any of these payments to make, I didn't follow up, but I can imagine there are others in the same boat as you ...
    So, to help these folks, can you show us the new reminders, please?
    Oh, and is that going to be for just this year or will that carry over into the future and might need a permanent change to be applied to the reminders frequency for estimated tax payments?
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited April 2020
    Sure. There are several distinct problems.
    • Federal payment #1 is now due in July instead of April, after payment #2 in June. So the "estimated tax" reminder frequency is inaccurate for tax year 2020.
    • CA has only 3 annual payments, so "estimated tax" frequency has never worked. (There is no payment #3, only 1, 2, and 4. Go figure.)
    • CA payment #1 is now due in July instead of April on the same date as payment #2.
    And after correcting these dates for 2020, I wanted the  normal estimated tax frequency to resume. So here's what I ended up with. Notice the "only once" reminders followed by normal reminders. The normal reminders for TY2021 have $0.00 amounts for now because I don't know what they'll be yet.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuck! It's amazing the side effects a virus can have ...
    Maybe what we need (preferably in a hurry), for both Q Mac and Windows, is a new Reminder Frequency.
    Instead of or in addition to
    let's add a new frequency
    How often: [on these days] [xx/xx/xxxx] [xx/xx/xxxx] [xx/xx/xxxx] ...
    with 4, 6, 10 or 12 user specifiable dates.
    Just like the estimated tax reminder, this reminder runs on only the specified dates and then stops without deleting itself, ready for next year and a new set of dates.
    What do you think?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I still think I want the ability to duplicate reminders. You can see how many nearly-identical reminders I ended up with. There's a lot of typing and clicking to create each one. This task would have taken 5 minutes instead of 30 if I could have just duplicated them.
    There's nothing wrong with your suggestion. The more reminder options, the better.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    UKR said:
    let's add a new frequency
    How often: [on these days] [xx/xx/xxxx] [xx/xx/xxxx] [xx/xx/xxxx] ...
    with 4, 6, 10 or 12 user specifiable dates.
    Actually, there is something wrong with your suggestion, @UKR . It doesn't work for California. There are 3 payments and payment #2 is a different amount than the others. So we in CA are kind of stuck with 3 annual reminders (or 1 "twice a year" reminder and 1 different one).
    Being able to duplicate reminders solves the general case, where adding more frequencies solves specific cases and may be subject to change as we've seen this year.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, OK, how about ...
    How often: [on these days] 
                                            1: [xx/xx/xxxx] [amount]
                                            2: [xx/xx/xxxx] [amount]
                                            3: [xx/xx/xxxx] [amount]
                                          12: [xx/xx/xxxx] [amount]

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited April 2021
    I still want the idea as originally specified.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    UKR said:

Me too!

Me too again!