Data File Password during "upgrade"

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
I have read that upgrading from 2017 to subscription and overwriting the existing installation requires removing my data file password before attempting or activation will fail. Is this true?

Any other gotchas before I try to do this today? I do not want to be without a functioning Quicken.

Thanks!

~Bob

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That isn't correct.  You don't have to remove the password.  Some might recommend doing it just to cut down on the things that MIGHT go wrong, but it certainly isn't a requirement.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. Waiting on a reply in this thread where I read and questioned it just for further confirmation before attempting this process :)

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873514/quick-subscription-assoc-with-different-quicken-id-than-q2017#latest

See the last few replies.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Anja. Exactly what I needed to know. Will be performing this today and back, of course if any issues. Much appreciated.

~Bob
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    No problem! 

If you do decide to remove the data file password, you can always reapply it after the conversion is done. You just do whatever makes you feel more secure, of course!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Quicken_Anja

One lats question. I have Quicken 2017 H&B on two computers. If I run into issues upgrading the first, can I still use 2017 for the next 10 days as we sort out issues?
    Thanks!
    ~Bob

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just in case the underscore is not needed @Quicken Anja - one more quick question in the post above.
  • Quicken Anja
    Yes, absolutely! That's no problem at all.

Let me know if you need anything else or have any further questions!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Quicken Anja

Update went smoothly but immediate obvious issues.

Online billers lost the last payment for more than half of them. Those show "awaiting next bill". If you search my threads, likely 80% of my issues have been in Billers with "awaiting next bill" or "Biller already added".

Should I restore from backup before I go further? Is that prudent?

Second, I do not see anywhere on the biller tab to link to reminder.

Since this has been most of my previous issues. first thing I saw. I'll make a list of others if I find others but need to know besyt way to proceed before I have more issues.

Thanks once again.

~Bob
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, found the link / unlink. Also did a VERY fast run through of most everything and surprised how good it looks :)

But really would like the old record of last paid, etc rather than awaiting next bill. And now that I look closer, the ones that do have dates and amounts are the next ones due, not the last ones paid!! Where can I see a view as it was in 2017. Can send a screenshot of what I was and am now seeing if you need. Thanks!
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

OK, have gone through everything THOROUGHLY now and the above issue which is important to me and one more:

The Reports and Graphs pop-up does not show any Tax Reports or Tax category. Am I missing a setting?

This went much more smoothly than expected. I would have liked to see more color choices, better icons a few more tweaks, but it functions 95% as 2017 and although might have an issue with Billers will have no down time.

~Bob
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE: Magically, the Tax category reappeared. No idea how or why :)

So really, the only issue is the missing history of recent payments to online billers. I hope there is a way to recover that.

New Questions:

1. Revo Uninstaller shows Quicken 2011, 2014 and 2017??  Is it safe to run uninstall for these?

2. There seem to be two leftover folders. Not a big deal, but are these safe to remove?
                         c:\programdata\intuit
                            appdata\roaming\intuit
    All else is good.Hope this relieves some angst for others.

~Bob

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't never remove folders, when Quicken is installed. It causes problems.

You want to remove the folders, only after Quicken is uninstalled via QCleanUi method.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Hello @Bob.,

Thanks for the updates. For the issues you're having with your billers-- yes, if you want to send screenshots that would be great and give me a better idea on what it is you're dealing with too.

If it won't allow you to attach a screenshot in your response, you can also drag and drop the image to your response so it creates a link for me to click on and view it within my web browser.

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    You don't never remove folders, when Quicken is installed. It causes problems.

You want to remove the folders, only after Quicken is uninstalled via QCleanUi method.

Thanks for the reply. Not a big deal but surprised Intuit folders left behind especially since it seems there are identical or near identical to new Quicken folders. And very surprised that Revo Uninstaller Shows older versions of Quicken available to uninstall when I see no residue from these.

I can leave these all. Just like to be tidy.

Off to read Anja's reply. Especially on the missing previous payments issue.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bob.,

Thanks for the updates. For the issues you're having with your billers-- yes, if you want to send screenshots that would be great and give me a better idea on what it is you're dealing with too.

If it won't allow you to attach a screenshot in your response, you can also drag and drop the image to your response so it creates a link for me to click on and view it within my web browser.

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja
    Would you be so kind as to PM me so I can attach the images to a message and keep them more private?

Thanks!
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    OK, @Quicken_Anja I hid enough I feel OK about posting.

First image shows correctly everything current and paid dates. Nothing "awaiting new bill". All history there. Took me a lot to get this this clean and has been for a few months.

[removed image] 

This one from the new program shows MANY Awaiting New Bills, no history of last paid and dates. Not sure how to get this usable at all. Goal is, as had been, to scrape for updates, enter a bill when due from the billers tab, debit paying account, credit charged account and match when the bill is paid and cleared showing the previously paid bill in Billers:

[removed image]

The "Current Bill" column is not accurate. That is taken from Reminders and is an estimate. It is not from a download from the Online Biller as it used to be.

I hope this explains this all well enough and there is a usable fix.

Thanks Anja.

~Bob

• Quicken Anja
    Thank you for providing this Bob!

Let's start off simple-- If you haven't already, try to convert the last backup you have from 2017 first and see if that makes a difference if any.

If that also fails, let me know and we'll go from there!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK. A bit beyond that but I can try that on the other computer and restore if I need.

Let me tell you what I have just done. I took a few a refreshed from biller and they went to awaiting rather than using the reminder info. I then validated online billers and one showed an error and said it unlinked. So I relinked. Now ALL that are linked to reminders show awaiting next bill and nothing paid. The only ones that show a due date are those that are reminders but not linked to an online biller. Those were never in the online Billers tab before, only reminders.

Back after I test a convert.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi again Anja,

OK, exactly the same as it was when first updated and converted. No history, all the same dates from reminders and awaiting new bills. I actually think I am a little cleaner at the moment, but have copies from 2017, right after conversion and now.

Do I assume Anja you do not think this is how the conversion should be and the history and accurate new bills should be shown?

~Bob
  • Quicken Anja
    Ok thank you for the information. 

Let me know what happens with the other computer. In the meantime, I'll do some testing around and see if I can replicate your issue.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Right now the ATT and PA Utilities no ;longer have the dates from the reminders and show awaiting as all the other linked to reminders. The 3 showing dates are from reminders only and are not online billers at all.

If you have the images, can I delete them from this thread?

Thanks.

• Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Absolutely, the images have been removed.

I'm converting a file that I have with both online billers and reminders myself right now. Just waiting on the conversion process to finish and we'll see what I get here. 

I'll keep you posted!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!

Hopefully your file has online bills that had showed as being paid recently before conversion.

I just discovered I could hide the bills that are reminders only as it used to be viewed so now see ONLY the online billers linked to reminders and all with awaiting. So a little progress :)

Seems several possibilities now:

1. The paid bills and history should have been converted
    2. This is how it works and the paid bills will not show again until the next cycle
    3. Something glitched and to get it to work properly will need to unlink. delete online biller, recreate online biller, relink and new cycle.

Update: Just saw the view history under the gear symbol. All history IS there, Just not populating the Last Payment column. So maybe not as bad as I thought.

Thanks again Anja.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Good to hear you at least found the history!

So, my conversion did complete successfully. Just like yours, most everything is looking good on my end except when I go to Bills and Income-- I only have 3 billers instead of a total of 27 billers and reminders that I had prior to converting the file.

I think it's safe to say there could be a possible bug going on with that specifically. I'm still messing around to see if they somehow got hidden or if they're just not there at all. If not, what I'll do is revert back to a previous update release and see if that makes a difference which would verify if the issue is related to the update release or if it's something within the conversion process itself that's going wrong. Either way, whatever the outcome my guess is that this will probably need to be reviewed.

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update Anja. Always good in an odd way to know it is not just me :) Do let me know what is recommended to get this clean and accurate. It is a main feature that I use daily.

Let me know anyway I can help at all.

~Bob
  • Quicken Anja
    Of course, no problem! 

I did find the other 25 missing bills on mine when I went to "Manage manual bills and income". Which is definitely inaccurate since the majority of them should be linked online billers. That in itself is not an uncommon "issue" per se as I've seen some (not all) cases where online bills do need to be relinked after converting. What did abnormally go wrong is that they all show scheduled as "only once" when they should be reoccurring bills.

I'm in the process of going through and reverting back with a couple of previous update releases now as I mentioned before. It's just taking a little while to download and install each of them, but again I'll let you know the outcome!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. So we have slightly different errors that might be due to the same cause - the conversion of online billers, reminders and history not working as expected.

I have something that used to work for a similar issue before I shall try. Needed tobe in this order previously:

Unlink from Online Billers - not reminders
    Delete online biller
    Restart - recreate online biller
    Relink

I'll try one on my "test" installation.

And no rush Anja. We'll get there :)

~Bob

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    This made it much worse. After relinking it showed properly for amount and due soon even though already entered into checking and sent, AND another manual bill for same account, different amount likely from a few years ago - at least months. The repeating to come for future months are the older, incorrect manual entry. So this really munged it up. Will go back to current though now think more is wrong than I thought.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Ok thank you for the update! 

Since I'm trying different version releases, aside from downloading and installing it, I'm also having to convert the file again after each one which is why it's taking a while.

I just wanted to let you know where I am in this process.

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.