Quicken ID Sign-In Window Appears in Background when Entering Q Data File Password

Options

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    BK said:
    @thecreator
    Thank you. That link and the proper uninstall procedure is my bible and I even have my own batch script in addition to the CleanUI. I do that in my sleep including cleaning Windows Registry and multiple reboots. Has made no difference for me in this case. Thanks again for continuing to remind us of the proper way.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

So if it is the activation server why would it only start when updating Quicken desktop software to R25 and beyond?  Something changed in R25 that made a difference in communication with connecting to server.   It may well be the activation server that is sending out the bogus screen, but it didn't do it until an update published by Quicken for the desktop know as R25.  So far nobody has posted a clean install has changed the issue of this thread, if I am wrong please correct. 

I am going to restore image back to earlier today and will be on R24 and there will not be a problem and I will be using the same activation server.

Back on R24.14 and all is well. 
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Like I stated, the problem is with the Quicken Activation Servers, not with the program.

Use this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Make sure to do a Manual Backup, in the procedure, first. Then while deleting the files, also delete the Data Folder and everything inside:
     Ex: G:\My Documents\Quicken

Also delete the installer, as well.

Or, wait for the fix, that is not coming from Quicken. The Choice is yours.

So if it is the activation server why would it only start when updating Quicken desktop software to R25 and beyond?  Something changed in R25 that made a difference in communication with connecting to server.   It may well be the activation server that is sending out the bogus screen, but it didn't do it until an update published by Quicken for the desktop know as R25.  So far nobody has posted a clean install has changed the issue of this thread, if I am wrong please correct. 

I am going to restore image back to earlier today and will be on R24 and there will not be a problem and I will be using the same activation server.   

• PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am not willing to go through some convoluted manual process with a multitude of steps because Quicken Inc broke it and can't fix it. Sorry...the ball's in their court. They need to find the exact issue and they need to fix it. That's why we are paying a lot of money for a subscription. This isn't some third rate freeware product.

Your solution, whether it works or not, is not a solution most of us are willing to attempt. I'm certainly not willing.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not willing to go through some convoluted manual process with a multitude of steps because Quicken Inc broke it and can't fix it. Sorry...the ball's in their court. They need to find the exact issue and they need to fix it. That's why we are paying a lot of money for a subscription. This isn't some third rate freeware product.

Your solution, whether it works or not, is not a solution most of us are willing to attempt. I'm certainly not willing.

True, a person shouldn't have to do that and many folks just wouldn't be able to complete those steps.  Just now I proved, it is something changed after R24.14.  I always try to do image before updating software.  Updated Quicken today and still had issues, restored back with my image and no problems.  Also, the fix suggestion of not using a file password is not customer friendly.  If they have a file password function, it should work as designed and not cause additional issues.

It may well be something in the server, but changes in desktop software is causing that server to act different when updating beyond R24.14.  So fix the desktop software- thank you. 
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like I stated, the problem is with the Quicken Activation Servers, not with the program.

Use this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Make sure to do a Manual Backup, in the procedure, first. Then while deleting the files, also delete the Data Folder and everything inside:
     Ex: G:\My Documents\Quicken

Also delete the installer, as well.

Or, wait for the fix, that is not coming from Quicken. The Choice is yours.

I don't understand why the activation servers care if there is a password on the datafile or not.  The problem does not occur if there is no password on the datafile.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Divemaster said:
    > (Quote)
    > True, a person shouldn't have to do that and many folks just wouldn't be able to complete those steps.  Just now I proved, it is something changed after R24.14.  I always try to do image before updating software.  Updated Quicken today and still had issues, restored back with my image and no problems.  Also, the fix suggestion of not using a file password is not customer friendly.  If they have a file password function, it should work as designed and not cause additional issues.
    >
    > It may well be something in the server, but changes in desktop software is causing that server to act different when updating beyond R24.14.  So fix the desktop software- thank you. 

Just re-installed the 24.14 Mondo patch and can report that the Quicken ID login screen does NOT appear underneath the file password login screen.

So, yes, Quicken broke something after that version. And no, I'm not going through the thecreator's convoluted fix.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Some have posted they tried that fix and it didn't work.  
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The problem is neither with the activation server, nor the QCleanUI detailed procedure is a solution. Has been brought up, tested and refuted many times and with all due respect wish this would not keep coming up! Go back & forth between R24 and R25+ and problem toggles. We are in an unfortunate vicious circle and perhaps someone should start a new clean post as I doubt the Quicken team is looking at this anymore.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• markus1957
    Options
    @BK

To summarize-

1. This only happens with products originally registered with an activation code and updated to R25 or newer?
    2. This happens with newly created data files also?
    3. This happens with a clean install on a new machine?
    4. QCleanUI has no effect?
    5. This only happens with a password protected data file?
    6. This cannot be resolved by downloading and installing Quicken from the website link in your Quicken Account?

Has anyone in this thread asked Quicken support to provide a new Quicken ID and a download copy of Quicken to test if a new QID would resolve the issue?

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @markus1957

Please see my answers below your questions.

1. This only happens with products originally registered with an activation code and updated to R25 or newer?
    BK Answer: All I can say is that mine was registered with an activation code on R26. That is when I saw the problem immediately. Then when I learned from others that there was no issue with R24, I started to investigate: installed R24.14 on my test machine. No issues with R24. R25 and newer issue starts. As a test you can go back & forth as many times between R24.14 and R25+ (any release after R24) and will see the problem appear and disappear between versions (toggle).

BK Answer: Yes, including a completely blank datafile.

BK Answer: Yes and Yes

BK Answer: Correct, zero effect. Including manually removing folders and cleaning Windows registries and multiple reboots.

BK Answer: Yes, only if the password is enabled. Disable it and no issues.

6. This cannot be resolved by downloading and installing Quicken from the website link in your Quicken Account?
    BK Answer: Not from my experience. Installed using the install file from Quicken website as well as a CD. No difference.

Has anyone in this thread asked Quicken support to provide a new Quicken ID and a download copy of Quicken to test if a new QID would resolve the issue?
    BK Answer: My friend has the same issue (hence another QID). I am not a superuser to get that far with Quicken; contacted them few times with no meaningful progress. Look forward to other responses to this.

I offered this on page 4 of this post and will say it another way:
    If only the program would FIRST check for enabled password & validate, BEFORE doing ANY network activity of any kind, the problem would be solved. I am not saying that is the problem, rather one solution. That is how typical “password protected” programs and files behave by first validating the password immediately upon launch, before proceeding to next steps - my 2 cents.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @markus1957

As I was editing to make a correction, my response disappeared. Posting again, sorry if duplicate, but this is my updated one.
    Please see my answers below your questions.

BK Answer: Mine was initially registered with an activation code on R26. That is when I saw the problem immediately. Then when I learned from others that there was no issue with R24, I started to investigate: Installed R24.14 on a new clean test machine. No issues with R24. R25 and newer issue starts. As a test I went back & forth many times between R24.14 and R25+ (pick any release after R24) and the problem appears and disappears between R25+ and R24.

BK Answer: Yes, including a completely blank datafile.

BK Answer: Correct, zero effect. Using the famous link, including manually removing folders and cleaning Windows registries using CCleaner and multiple reboots.

BK Answer: Yes, only if the password is enabled. Disable it and no issues.

BK Answer: No, cannot be resolved. Installed using the install file from Quicken website as well as a CD. No difference.

BK Answer: My friend has the same issue (hence another QID). I am not a superuser to get that far with Quicken; contacted them few times with no meaningful progress.

I offered this on page 4 of this post and will say it another way:
    If only the program would FIRST check for enabled password & validate, BEFORE doing ANY network activity of any kind, the problem would be solved. I am not saying that is the problem, rather one solution. That is how typical “password protected” programs and files behave by first validating the password immediately upon launch, before proceeding to next steps. My 2 cents.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Has anyone in this thread asked Quicken support to provide a new Quicken ID and a download copy of Quicken to test if a new QID would resolve the issue?"

They confuse to do a Clean Reinstall.

A New Quicken ID will not solve the problem. A new Quicken Installer, with the same Quicken User ID, will, deleting all logs.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• markus1957
    Options
    I reviewed the entire thread again.  One thing commonly mentioned to fix sign in issues has not been listed as having been tried in this thread (or I missed it).  In Menu>Preferences>Quicken ID, has anyone signed out and then signed in again?  I might even suggest after sign out; shut down Quicken and then restart Quicken to truly get the sign-in process initiated from the very beginning.

Also, anyone look at logs in Help menu?  Particularly the Quicken Authorization log.
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @markus1957 said:
    > I reviewed the entire thread again.  One thing commonly mentioned to fix sign in issues has not been listed as having been tried in this thread (or I missed it).  In Menu>Preferences>Quicken ID, has anyone signed out and then signed in again?  I might even suggest after sign out; shut down Quicken and then restart Quicken to truly get the sign-in process initiated from the very beginning.
    >
    > Also, anyone look at logs in Help menu?  Particularly the Quicken Authorization log.

Logged out. Closed Quicken. Restarted Quicken, entered file password, added Quicken ID and password...Quicken opened.

Closed Quicken...restarted Quicken, entered file password....prompt for Quicken ID and password showed up underneath.

No change from before.

Cancel that idea. Didn't matter.
  • markus1957
    Options
    @thecreator Not sure how many times they have said been there, done that and yet you persist in stating the same thing over and over, getting the same reply that it didn't work. It's getting annoying. 
  • thecreator
    Options
    @thecreator Not sure how many times they have said been there, done that and yet you persist in stating the same thing over and over, getting the same reply that it didn't work. It's getting annoying. 
    QCleanUi.exe does not remove the Windows Registry Keys that CCleaner Free does.

When you simply use QCleanUi and simply reinstall Quicken, without doing anything else, you get the same thing again, time and time again.

Quicken is not going to fix the issue, when the bug is on the Activation Servers.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can you say it is activation server when all is fine with R24.14 with the same activation server?  Nothing goes wrong until R25.  Technically you could say activation server is the causing the error.  However, it wasn't until Quicken made a change in R25 that code on home PC didn't get along with activation server.
    Bottom line changes made to R25 made it incompatible with activation server.   That change is on Quicken to bring that compatibility back in sync- their change caused the problem.   
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @thecreator
    Given the fact that when we downgrade to R24.14 the problem disappears (easily reproducible), would you kindly explain to us in detail why you believe the bug is in the activation server? Thank you.

• thecreator
    Options
    How can you say it is activation server when all is fine with R24.14 with the same activation server?  Nothing goes wrong until R25.  Technically you could say activation server is the causing the error.  However, it wasn't until Quicken made a change in R25 that code on home PC didn't get along with activation server.
    Bottom line changes made to R25 made it incompatible with activation server.   That change is on Quicken to bring that compatibility back in sync- their change caused the problem.   
    Hi @Divemaster ,

@Quicken_Sarah told me that changes were made to the Quicken Activation Servers at the same time, the new Patch came out.

It is only affecting Users, who use the File Data Password and using the original Quicken Installer for first time Quicken Subscription Users, which adds Download Quicken to their Quicken User ID Account.

As long as you don't use File Data Password, you are not affected by the bug.

If you use the File Data Password, you see the bug, in the Installer you used.

That's why one needs to do the Clean reinstall.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is only affecting Users, who use the File Data Password and using the original Quicken Installer for first time Quicken Subscription Users

I did not use a Quicken installer, been on machine for years.  Not a first time Quicken user by a long way.   I only went to the enter activation code screen from within Quicken and entered code purchased online from Amazon.   Sarah may be getting bad information?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @thecreator
    Are you saying that the Clean reinstall is a workaround to the activation server bug and therefore fixes the issue? If so why it hasn't worked for rest of us who have done the Clean reinstall (your clean uninstall link - I called it the famous link below) many many times? How much more clean can it get than a brand new system? See my response above to @markus1957 where I wrote:

BK Answer: Correct, zero effect. Using the famous link, including manually removing folders and cleaning Windows registries using CCleaner and multiple reboots.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I can agree on, I guess it isn't ever going to get fixed.  This is a long thread with no solution that anyone can report that works.   It may even be deleted as I seen in the past?  
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Divemaster said:
    > One thing I can agree on, I guess it isn't ever going to get fixed.  This is a long thread with no solution that anyone can report that works.   It may even be deleted as I seen in the past?  

Why would I want to have my complete financial history WITHOUT a file password? Especially since I back up to a cloud based system?

This is leaving a rather bad taste with using Quicken if they can't get this fixed.

And what I want to know from Quicken is...if they know what causes the problem and that they changed some things that caused the problem, wouldn't my subscription fee go to fixing that same problem without me jumping through a convoluted bunch of hoops to fix it on my own?

Once again, we're not talking about freeware here.
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    I suggest thecreator come over to our homes and do the cleanup, delete files and reinstall for us.

I'm not comfortable doing this on my own. I have to access "hidden files"? Run cccleaner, but only install some of it and not others? Then delete certain hidden files? What happens if I delete the wrong file in error? Or not all the proper files? This is out of the average users scope.

Sorry, this is a known Quicken issue. They have to fix it.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This might help clear up something??
    I loaded Quicken on my laptop which has never had Quicken on it.  It loaded okay and I put in my backup thumb drive from desktop backup.  I made a directory c:\Quicken, copied my thumb drive file to c:\quicken, renamed the backup to what I have the file on desktop.  Opened up Quicken on laptop and had it open up the file I loaded under c:\quicken.  At first Quicken had something like Home, Business and Rental property in upper left corner (I am thinking I have Deluxe, oh well continue on).  Then I got a screen to log into Quicken account, which I did.  Then the  Home, Business and Rental property went to Quicken Deluxe like it should be.  The  Quicken home screen look strange and nothing I clicked on would work.  I canceled and restarted Quicken, I still got the extra screen along with file password screen- that did not go away. 
    However after that restarting of Quicken all the functions worked as near as I could tell and the accounts balanced with desktop.  So bottom line it is working on laptop, but still get the extra screen- even though it was a clean install. 

• thecreator
    Options
    BK said:
    @thecreator
    Are you saying that the Clean reinstall is a workaround to the activation server bug and therefore fixes the issue? If so why it hasn't worked for rest of us who have done the Clean reinstall (your clean uninstall link - I called it the famous link below) many many times? How much more clean can it get than a brand new system? See my response above to @markus1957 where I wrote:

Hi @BK ,

Before  :

After with Data File location at C:\Quicken:

I downloaded the new Quicken Installer from my Account at: https://www.quicken.com/ My Account and I downloaded Download for Windows. It installed as R26.23.

No Background. I did not Open. I restored, to C:\Quicken. The name of the Data File is similar to Creator 2020.

Using for testing:
    Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 20150.1000
    Quicken 2020 R26.23 Build 27.1.26.23
    Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property
    Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (3.25 GB usable)

• thecreator
    Options
    PhoenixRising said:
    I suggest thecreator come over to our homes and do the cleanup, delete files and reinstall for us.

I'm not comfortable doing this on my own. I have to access "hidden files"? Run cccleaner, but only install some of it and not others? Then delete certain hidden files? What happens if I delete the wrong file in error? Or not all the proper files? This is out of the average users scope.

Sorry, this is a known Quicken issue. They have to fix it.

In your Signature, you wrote Windows and Mac.

Is your problem on a Windows partition or in Parallels on a Mac Computer, which I don't know.

Have you hear of TeamViewer?  https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/ .

• PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @thecreator said:
    > PhoenixRising said:(Quote)
    >
    > Hi @PhoenixRising ,
    > In your Signature, you wrote Windows and Mac.
    > Is your problem on a Windows partition or in Parallels on a Mac Computer, which I don't know.
    > Have you hear of TeamViewer?  https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/ .

Parallels on a Mac. And yes I have TeamViewer installed.
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Some feedback. I updated to R27.24. I read in the list of fixes for this update that it is supposed to fix the login page problem. It has not. I rebooted after updating before sending this message and opened Quicken again. So all continues as before with login page popping up when open Quicken and staying a few seconds after enter data file pwd.
This discussion has been closed.