Top Movers? R27.20 (QWin Subscription)

jtemplin
jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Investing (Windows)
I've upgraded to R27.20 (QWin Subscription), and the release notes state:

New: Added an Investing dashboard that includes a new Top Movers panel. The dashboard is aimed at reducing the complexity of the Investing view to make it easier to quickly assess the status of your investments.

I can't find where this new Top Movers panel is or how to display it. My current Investing Dashboard has 3 panels: Total Value, Portfolio by Security, and Value over Time. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be the "Total Value" panel, which will take until Monday to see how it works since there will be no quote changes until then.
    It doesn't make sense to title it one thing and then refer it by a different name, shame on Quicken for the confusion.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Total Value should indeed get you "Top Movers" if you sort by one of the "Today" columns. But, to me "Top Movers" mean securities with the largest positive change AND the largest negative change that day. To see both those populations, you'd presumably have to scroll to the bottom of the sorted securities list, or resort. To me (anyway), a true "Top Movers" panel would sort by the absolute value of change and you see them all at once at the top.
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Using the latest Quicken Deluxe Windows 27.20 update. In the release notes, it states that they added a new Dashboard to the Investing section.

Sure, the Dashboard tab is there, but when I click on it all I get is the Accounts and Securities selection boxes ... and nothing else. No data. Doesn't matter what I select in the Accounts or Securities...all, some, custom. Nothing but blank data.

Is this supposed to work? If so, what's it supposed to look like? And am I missing data because I'm using the Deluxe version instead of the Premier version? And if so, then why do I even have the Dashboard "tab" under Investing if it's not available in my version?

Someone care to explain to me what I should be seeing and what version this is supposed to be working with.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It fills in for my Premier edition, so it might be that it is only for Premier and above and you aren't suppose to get it in Deluxe at all and that is a bug.

But note, I only have an account pulldown, nothing for selecting the securities, it just selects all of my active securities.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can get the Top Movers box to display by putting in some prices manually.  It is displayed under the TOTAL VALUE box.  What's more it works like @jtemplin expects.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear the TOTAL VALUE box isn't the Top Movers, and as such when you sort by the value or percentage it isn't trying to do "Top Mover", it is numeric sort.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    and.... as mentioned - you should indicate which version - Deluxe vs Premiere -
    as some of these new "investment" screens might only be part of Premiere..
    If so - the Release Notes should be updated to reflect any "version specific" features.
    If not - then it's just Q logistics -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ps56k Yes, I'm using Premier, and this other post suggests that even though the Dashboard comes up for them it doesn't work (which is at least one bug):

I see that post by @PhoenixRising was merged into this thread, above.

Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm using Quicken Deluxe Windows 27.20.

This is what my screen looks like with Investing, Dashboard selected.

And my question is...if Deluxe isn't supposed to get this feature, then why does it appear as a selection in my version?

It's a bug, as Chris_QPW already said

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW on Premier:

Notice there isn't a Securities pulldown menu like is shown in @PhoenixRising 's screenshot?

Looks like the feature isn't completed, because I would certainty think people would want to filter by security.
    Signature:
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > It's a bug, as Chris_QPW already said

It's a bug...as in it's not supposed to be available in the Deluxe version.

Or it's a bug... and the feature isn't working as designed in Deluxe.

You haven't answered the question.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    (Edited to correct comment regarding "Shares" column."
    A couple of observations about this new Dashboard:
    1)  Total Value: 
    • "Shares" column headers does not sort properly. 
    • "Security", "Price" and "Value" column headers do appear to sort properly.  
    • The verdict on "Today $" and "Today %" column headers sorting is out until Monday since everything is 0% right now.
    2)  Value Over Time:  The graph itself appears to be correct but when hovering the cursor of the graph bars it shows only the value of my biggest investment account instead of the total value of all my investment accounts.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @PhoenixRising we (as other Quicken users) don't know which it is.  It is definitely a bug though.   :)

But my guess would be that the Deluxe version shouldn't have the tab at all.  After all they are constantly looking to add features that will justify the price bump for going from Deluxe to Premier with the main focus being better investment reporting.  This is right up that alley.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of observations about this new Dashboard:
    1)  Total Value: 
    • "Shares" column headers does not sort properly.  
    My share column seems to sort fine. 

What are you seeing?

Note you can put in a manual price for a security(s) to test out the Today$ and Today% columns.
    Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2020
    @Chris_QPW - Mea cupla...when I looked at it originally I saw commas instead of periods.  You are right, it does appear to sort correctly.  Dang...and I just got new glasses, too!  :smile:  Maybe it would be a good idea if Quicken were to show 3 decimal points for all securities so it would be less likely for people to misread it (especially those with tired eyes like mine).
    I'll just wait until Monday to test out the Today$ and Today% so I can see the results for all securities instead of just a few.  I have pretty good confidence in Quicken's reliability in reporting data, especially since the data in this Dashboard likely are not new calculations but are simply pulled from other established areas in Quicken.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree.  Those commas had me doing double takes.
    Signature:
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am using Premier edition.  When I first received this download (on my laptop) on Friday ( around 11am) I had a Top Movers section.  When I updated Quicken on my desktop on Saturday I did not.  I had the Total Value.  When I opened this again on my laptop on Sunday (where there was a Top Mover section on Friday) now it shows Total Value as well.

It may be that "Top Mover" only shows up when the markets are open.  It will be interesting to test this on Monday.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    I am using Premier edition.  When I first received this download (on my laptop) on Friday ( around 11am) I had a Top Movers section.  When I updated Quicken on my desktop on Saturday I did not.  I had the Total Value.  When I opened this again on my laptop on Sunday (where there was a Top Mover section on Friday) now it shows Total Value as well.

It may be that "Top Mover" only shows up when the markets are open.  It will be interesting to test this on Monday.
    If it only works on days when the stock market is open, it will be a useless feature for the users that only deal with their finances on the weekends. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2020
    Snowman said:

What you say is likely true.  @Chris_QPW 's test above also seems to support that conclusion.  If this proves to be true, perhaps a good enhancement for Quicken to make would be to add a date selector so users can see the Top Movers sections for dates in the past.  I see some value in that, especially for people who are more speculative investors and want to get snapshots of daily (or date range) changes to give them some idea of when it might be good time to do a buy or sell of a security.

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:

If it only works on days when the stock market is open, it will be a useless feature for the users that only deal with their finances on the weekends. 

And if true, it would work differently from the other investing "panels" I have on my current custom Home tab view, i.e. they still display on non-trading days, but don't have any data in them (e.g. "Investment Account Activity: Daily", and "Watch List").

An example, perhaps, of trying to be too clever by hiding "Top Movers" on non-trading days? We'll see tomorrow.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is easy enough to test, and the answer is Top Movers is only displayed for the securities/days that have a price for that day.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jtemplin said:
    splasher said:

And if true, it would work differently from the other investing "panels" I have on my current custom Home tab view, i.e. they still display on non-trading days, but don't have any data in them (e.g. "Investment Account Activity: Daily", and "Watch List").
    I don't think you can compare this to what is on the Home tab, and there is a "panel" that works like this.  It is the Portfolio view.  Of course that view also has a As of: selection, so as was mentioned above that is probably something they need to add here.  And they probably need that missing securities pulldown too.
    Signature:
  • masug
    masug Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    (Removed-Rant)
  • masug
    masug Member ✭✭
    > @jtemplin said:
    > I've upgraded to R27.20 (QWin Subscription), and the release notes state:
    >
    > New: Added an Investing dashboard that includes a new Top Movers panel. The dashboard is aimed at reducing the complexity of the Investing view to make it easier to quickly assess the status of your investments.
    >
    > I can't find where this new Top Movers panel is or how to display it. My current Investing Dashboard has 3 panels: Total Value, Portfolio by Security, and Value over Time. 
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Just install Release R27.24 (US Versions, June 2020) and it will work. Patch of a patch!!
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    masug said:
    Just install Release R27.24 (US Versions, June 2020) and it will work. Patch of a patch!!
    R27.24 has nothing to do with this. Please read the entire thread.

We established earlier in the thread that Top Movers only seems to appear when it has data to show. That means it "disappears" on weekends when there are no new quotes. It reappears on trading days.

Both R27.20 and R27.24 exhibit this behavior. I'll bet if you access the investing dashboard this morning you won't see it now. I don't. Folks have observed that this behavior makes this panel useless for folks who customarily analyze their investments only during the weekend.

My OP was written on a Saturday when it was "hiding." It was coincidence that I installed R27.20 on a Saturday. It's probably also coincidence you installed R27.24 and tried the dashboard on a trading day.

IMO, I think this panel should always appear, even if it has zeroes on a weekend. That way it would behave the same as the home view items like "Watch List". Even better, as also commented in the thread, is being able to select the date for the display.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dashboard displays correctly today, Saturday.  The changes are all shown as zeros.  I am running Premier, 27.24.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_L said:
    The dashboard displays correctly today, Saturday.  The changes are all shown as zeros.  I am running Premier, 27.24.
    That is really interesting. It's disappeared for me, just like R27.20 did. I'm running Premier Windows R27.24. Reinstalling the Mondo Patch for R27.24 didn't seem to help. 

But I entered a made-up price for today for one of my mutual funds, and got the panel to reappear again. Go figure.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Top Movers should be programmed to display the information from the last trading day.  That way those who want to access this information on the weekend or when there is a long 3 day weekend may do so.  I have put this up in the ideas section so if you agree please vote for it.....
This discussion has been closed.