Custom Bills & Income Projected Balance time period/date selection (23 Merged/Legacy Votes)

I moved from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac (Quicken Starter 2019) when I purchased my MacBook Air this summer.

I am very disappointed to see that, in the Bills & Income tab, I can no longer get a projected view of my finances for years down the road but am limited to one year.  With the Windows version I could set a custom date but cannot do that on the Mac.

There is a fair bit of functionality missing in the Mac version but the thing I miss the most is the ability to do long term planning.  I've been keeping the Quicken for Windows up to date on my old PC as well as the Quicken for Mac just so that I can do the long term planning.  Can you add the custom time periods in the Bills & Income for Quicken Starter? 

------

Be sure to click the little black triangle under the VOTE count in the yellow banner (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
(If the triangle is grey, your vote has already been counted.)

18 votes

Planned · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 12 Aug 23, Update 10/10/23 - This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. Quicken’s product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. QMAC-26049/CTP-7464

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This is also a subset of the following IDEA request. You can also add your VOTE to Improve the Bill Reminders Graph (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance). (#6) (this currently has over 100 votes)

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
    (If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.)

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance). Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Shirley Winkler
    Shirley Winkler Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Currently Quicken for Mac only allows projected balances for 6 pre-set time periods.  Quicken for Windows allows a custom date.  Please add this for Quicken for Mac.  It's extremely useful!
  • Shirley Winkler
    Allow custom project dates in Bills and Income.
  • mangeydog
    mangeydog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not sure why Quicken truncates the view of projected balances beyond 1 year. Seems like a simple task to allow future dates. Sometimes I want to see the impact of recurring or one time planned costs on my balance beyond 12 months. Can we get some agreement to view projected balances beyond 1 year on the register and the bill tracker view?
  • mangeydog
    mangeydog Member ✭✭
    5 years would be nice but would be pleased with a 24 month view!
  • woodmann
    woodmann Member
    Agreed 24 would be fine with me.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look-ahead option should be user definable like in QM2007 where you can specify any # DAYS in advance.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• DCky1032
    DCky1032 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm a long time user of Quicken PC. The current MAC version doesn't allow me to enter custom dates within the Projected Balances feature of Bills & Income. 1 year is the maximum time frame. I miss being able to see long term projections that are critical to staying on a budget.
  • jmine83
    jmine83 Member ✭✭✭
    I would like to see scheduled transactions that take place more than 12 months ahead of time.

Maybe just add the ability for the user to specify a date limit? For example, if I want to set a date limit of 12/31/2025, therefore display all scheduled transactions from today and up to 12/31/2025.

The below screen capture shows the balance of my checking account up to the next 12 months. I have verified this data is accurate and correct.

The below screen capture shows what happens when I change "Next 1 Year" to "Next Instance". Not sure what it's doing when changing it to "Next Instance", but it's not correct.

• Gary Fisher
    Gary Fisher Member ✭✭
    Just like what is currently available in the Windows version add the ability to create custom date ranges in the Projected Balances Tab in the Bills & Income section.

This feature is so important when doing long term personal cash flow planning and in my view one of THE major deficiencies between the Mac version and Windows Quicken.
  • Shirley Winkler
    edited April 2021
    I loved being able to project out my bills and income balance for years to come when I used Quicken for Windows. I was so disappointed when I moved over to the Mac version to find that this option was left out of the Mac Version. Please add it to Mac!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Shirley Winkler I'm not a Windows user; can you explain exactly what you could do in Quicken Windows that you don't think you can do in Quicken Mac? There are some scheduling features which are tucked away such that new users often miss them, so I'd like to see if these align with what you find lacking, or if you're talking about something else. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Shirley Winkler
    Sure - I'm in the Bill & Income tab and I want to see my projected balance for a future date. There is a drop down menu for next - Instance, 7 days, 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, and year. But I want to project out to a date farther out than 1 year - let's say 12/31/2022 (a custom date). This helps me determine whether I'm looking good or if it's showing a negative figure - I know I'll have to sell some stock before the end of 2022.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021
    @Shirley Winkler  Ah, got it. You're right that there is no way to show scheduled transactions beyond a year into the future. There is an existing request for this feature in this Idea thread. I suggest you add your comment and your vote in that thread. (Your idea may be merged into that, since they are similar.)

There is also a different idea thread here regarding scheduling flexibility which the developers have marked as planned for implementation. In that thread, the initial request is for one specific option, but the thread goes on for pages with additional ideas about scheduling flexibility -- and while it was initially for Mac and Windows, it is now tagged just for Windows -- so it's not quite clear what the developers have agreed to implement. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Shirley Winkler
    Thanks - I submitted my vote!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:

There is also a different idea thread here regarding scheduling flexibility which the developers have marked as planned for implementation. In tat thread, the initial request is for one specific option, but the thread goes on for pages with additional ideas about scheduling flexibility -- so it's not quite clear what the developers have agreed to implement. 

In the old GetSat forum this idea at the link above was marked for BOTH QWin and QMac. When it got migrated to Vanilla here, it lost the designation for QMac.  When this idea was accepted into development, it is unclear if it was accepted as Planned for QWin or for QMac also. I have asked the mods multiple times for clarification with just crickets...

• Kevin Hoelzel
    Kevin Hoelzel Member
    edited June 2021
    Please remove all of the filters which prevent scheduled transactions from being displayed beyond 12 months or add an option to display all instances instead of limiting to a max of 12 months. Thanks. Windows version doesn't have this restriction or used to not have this.
  • mangeydog
    mangeydog Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Please extend the register view further into the future, custom dates!
  • Shirley Winkler
    Still haven't received notification that the Mac version will match the PC version in allowing a custom date for projected balances. I hate to go back to the PC version to get this functionality! PLEASE make this change.
  • Shirley Winkler
    We are in 2022 and still no word on removing the 12 month restriction on upcoming bills and income. PLEASE make the change!
  • 16mortensenj
    16mortensenj Member ✭✭
    It is the end of 2022 and we are still dealing with this
  • 1AMJED1
    1AMJED1 Member

I don't understand why this is availble in Quicken for Windows but not for Mac. Come on Quicken, let us see future balance projections beyond a year!

• Gary Fisher
    Gary Fisher Member ✭✭
    Now well into year 3 without any progress on enabling cash flow/balance projections beyond 12 months in the Mac version. This is the single most important feature I personally want to see to bring it on par with the windows version. I know others want this as well.
  • Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Egor Titov
    Egor Titov Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023

Would like more flexibility with the date range field such as a 90 day range and custom date range.

[Merged Post]

• Hello @Egor Titov,

Thank you for sharing your idea! I merged your idea with the existing idea thread.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• dioxide45
    dioxide45 Member ✭✭
    edited January 5

Okay, the form won't let me pick the category for Ideas for Mac Classic. This is related to Mac but could also be for other versions.

I have a bank account where I send money twice monthly to cover irregular bills. Think insurance premiums, passport renewals, drivers license renewal, etc. These may be things that are paid more than once a year but not monthly. They may also be items that are paid only every few years. With this method I always know I will have money in this account to pay the irregular bill.

The issue is that I can only view the projected balances out up to 1 year. But since some bills are not paid every year I would like to be able to see what the projected balance is maybe 2 or even 3 years out. I always have some very big bills every January that I pay out of this account, but in January of this year I can't really see what my projections look like through the end of January next year.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @dioxide45,

Thank you for coming to the Community to share your idea! The good news is this functionality has already been requested and is currently in Planned status. I merged your post with the existing thread.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina