Printing Checks (Q Mac)

Blue
Blue Member
edited November 2019 in Printing (Mac)
I would like to see some flexibility in setting up voucher checks to print.  As of now, when you adjust the placement of the print, the entire screen moves.  This should be corrected by the engineers.
1.  I would like to print the address on the check in a larger font.
2.  I would like to print the dollar amount larger and in bold without printing all in bold.
3.  I would like to adjust each line item on the check individually so all letters and numbers are on the line provided on the voucher check.

This is a suggestion to the Quicken engineers to fix in an update soon I hope.

Thank You.
5 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• LAJimm
    LAJimm Member
    Definitely need more flexibility especially in the placement of the memo field and the information on the voucher. Quicken 2007 was more advanced than Quicken 2020.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue said:
    2.  I would like to print the dollar amount larger and in bold without printing all in bold.
    There's a federal rule, "Check 21", which states that the numeric amount of a check must be printed using Arial 10 pt. font only
    That enables checks to be automatically processed by check sorting machines without human intervention.
    Until that rule is revoked, I'm afraid, you won't be able to change the appearance of the numeric amount.
    Changing the appearance of all the other parts of the check and, perhaps, their individual position on the paper ... that, I concur, is needed.

• JLBenson
    JLBenson Member
    I would like to have the option to leave the voucher stubs blank. I use voucher simply because they work best in my printer. I don't need the person that receives the check to know how I itemized it for my own books.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLBenson said:
    I would like to have the option to leave the voucher stubs blank. I use voucher simply because they work best in my printer. I don't need the person that receives the check to know how I itemized it for my own books.

How about tearing off the two stubs and not mailing them to the addressee.
    I always use 1 stub for my records and shred the 2nd one.
  • VeroPhyl
    VeroPhyl Member
    Please make the placement of the Memo line on the checks adjustable. I have used Quicken since it was first developed in the mid 1980s. Even in the old Apple IIe version, the user could adjust the fields on the checks independently. Since Quicken for Mac has been the red-headed stepchild for the last couple of decades, I used the 2007 version until I was forced to update when I bought my new Macbook. That version also allowed the user to adjust the check fields independently. Surely, some programmer working on developing all the new bells and whistles for Quicken could program the ability to independently adjust the Memo line ONLY for those of us who still print checks and who do not use window envelopes. Surely, we deserve as much consideration as the window envelope users, especially since the many versions of the Quicken program that we have used since the 1980s have had that capability.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @VeroPhyl  You should also visit this thread and cast your vote for it. (In the yellow box under the first post, click the little gray arrow to increase the vote count).

The issue, I believe is that the check printing portion of the code in Quicken Mac is a carryover from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials program which was used as the base for tis new generation of Quicken. In that code, what prints on the check is one block of text. The developers have never gone back to write this section of code to make all the elements separate and independently moveable. This generates complaints from users, but apparently not enough for this to be a high priority to re-engineer. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, everybody who is reminiscing about the old method of being able to individually adjust each field's position on a check, don't you remember that this was necessary in the good old days?
    There were no check layout standards in effect in the 80s and every check supplier provided a slightly different layout. That made it necessary for every user to laboriously customize the formatting. I remember it well when using Managing Your Money for DOS.
    A few years later Intuit started promoting "Quicken / Quickbooks - compatible check styles", Wallet, Standard and Voucher checks. And with that standard, field - specific alignment support went out the window. Who needs it when one uses a standardized check layout, to match the printed output ...
    All one needs now for correctly printed checks is to make sure that you have a supported printer driver installed in your Windows or Mac system and properly configured System Printer Properties (paper size 8.5*11", 100% reduction/magnification factor) and everything should work well ... theoretically ...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    UKR said:
    BTW, everybody who is reminiscing about the old method of being able to individually adjust each field's pAll one needs now for correctly printed checks is to make sure that you have a supported printer driver installed in your Windows or Mac system and properly configured System Printer Properties and everything should work well ... theoretically ...
    Yes, the problem is that it's only theoretically. Many Quicken Mac users have complained about the memo line printing too low on correctly-printed checks. There are dozens of threads on this forum about it. At one point, the developers tried raising the memo field a whole line -- because they don't have a way to raise it a fractional amount without re-writing the check-printing code -- and people complained that the memo line was visible in window envelopes. So they moved it back down. And thus the problem remains. Until the developers agree this is a problem and commit to re-writing the code to allow elements of the check to be individually positioned, the complaints are valid and will continue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993