Quicken ID Sign-In Window Appears in Background when Entering Q Data File Password

Options

Comments

• Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ps56k said:
    still there.... R27.42
    Can concur.
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    ditto
  • William Ahlstrom
    William Ahlstrom Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    still there ... R28.10
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess Quicken is not going to fix this problem, maybe they don't want people to use a file password?   If they wanted to fix it, I bet they could find someone who would work with them as long as they worked with a technical person and not only first level support.  
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Question All:

If you load Quicken without a Quicken Data File in memory to Sign in using a File Password. So Quicken will not import any settings into the New Data File.

In other words, open Quicken with No Data File in memory.
    Next, Create a Brand New Quicken, with a simple Cash Account Register.
    Close and re-open Quicken.
    Add a File Data Password.
    Close and re-open Quicken.

Do you receive a Normal Gray Background or a Background asking you to Sign in again?

If you receive a Background asking you to Sign in again, I submit that you need to uninstall and reinstall, using the Quicken Installer from your Quicken Account, using this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Don Bartenstein
    Options
    Question All:

This gets really old.  A number of us have tried this, more than once, and no one beside yourself has reported that it worked.  
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True, as I already said I put R27 on a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro.  Never had been loaded with Quicken software.  Therefore, it didn't need any cleanup utilities.  I would say it was better cleaned up that their utilities, because the utility could miss something?  Anyway, got same extra screen when starting and loading file from USB drive. 
  • fay chin
    fay chin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The good thing about this thread is that now I know I am not the only one.
    And therefore not to let it get me upset.
    I hope someday some one will bump into the fix.
    In the mean time I will live with the double screen login issue
    good luck to you all
    fkc_Lincolnwood
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't help but believe Quicken knows what is wrong, they are experienced staff and I believe know how to code and find problems.  I think to fix this problem they would have to change some major logic and/or direction of future plans for Quicken startup?
  • jkornkven
    jkornkven Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have this same issue. Today I read through this entire thread. I'm a retired developer, felt like I was back at work! I admire the dedication of those users who have tried so many things. I removed the password from my file and the problem went away. Once in, I was able to switch to mom's password-protected account with no problem. But if I start out in the password-protected account the problem is back. I can live with this -- it's a definite improvement.
    :)
    Win 10, did not purchase Quicken from Amazon.
  • thecreator
    Options
    Hi j@jkornkven ,

1. Where is your data file being run from?  That's your file
    2. What is the location in your computer? Ex. Internal Documents\Quicken
    3. What is the path to your Quicken installation?
    4. Did you download the Quicken Installation from your Qucken /My Account?

• thecreator
    Options
    True, as I already said I put R27 on a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro.  Never had been loaded with Quicken software.  Therefore, it didn't need any cleanup utilities.  I would say it was better cleaned up that their utilities, because the utility could miss something?  Anyway, got same extra screen when starting and loading file from USB drive. 
    Copy your Quicken Data File from the USB Drive to your Laptop's Documents\Quicken Folder.

Test opening Quicken again.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I did copy file from usb drive to folder on laptop, which is c:\jer\quicken.  Don't use the document folder on desktop or laptop.  Also, I renamed the file without the date and backup name to XXXXXX.QDF. 
  • thecreator
    Options
    I did copy file from usb drive to folder on laptop, which is c:\jer\quicken.  Don't use the document folder on desktop or laptop.  Also, I renamed the file without the date and backup name to XXXXXX.QDF. 
    I think that you will need to put up with the Quicken Sign-In in the Background.

You stated that you are using a Backup File that you renamed, instead of restoring.

When restoring a Manual Backup File, it gives you a chance to rename the file.

When using Windows to rename a file, Quicken has no record of the file you are using has been registered or not, Hence you are seeing the Sign-In again. The rename file is not registered for the New File Name.

All Quicken Data Files have their Quicken Data File Name stored online. If you use, a Data File Password, it gives Quicken a chance to see if the Quicken Data File, is registered or not.

I would suggest that you use  Quicken to restore a file and don't use Windows to rename a file.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't know that Quicken would rename the backup file, I always rename it right back to what it was, just take off all the extra characters the backup added.   I must drive Quicken nuts as I change the name of my file each calendar year, so they must think I have a lot of registered files.  My file name has the calendar year as part of the name. 
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I have tested the theory that using a renamed file could cause this issue.  It cannot.  I renamed multiple files and never encountered the issue when opening them.

I wish one of the users with the issue would just buy/download a new copy registered under a different email and see if the issue remains.  Either way, a refund would be in order and it could be determined once and for all if the issue resides with the Quicken ID.  I cannot believe Quicken Support has not done this already just to test.
  • thecreator
    Options
    Didn't know that Quicken would rename the backup file, I always rename it right back to what it was, just take off all the extra characters the backup added.   I must drive Quicken nuts as I change the name of my file each calendar year, so they must think I have a lot of registered files.  My file name has the calendar year as part of the name. 
    With Quicken Subscription program, you can rename the Manual Backup file using Windows File Explorer.
    However, the rename file, remains a Manual Backup File, cause when you click on the renamed file, it goes into the Restore routine.
    My Quicken Data File is named: Ex. creator 2020.

I have no problems not using Qdata.qdf.

But, like I stated before, Quicken does not test the Data File in unique locations, but in \Documents\Quicken 2020 Data\creator 2020 as an example.

Test / move your Data File to under Documents and see what happens.

You have stated that this procedure doesn't work: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

You don't restore, you rename.

• 2h44xb9
    2h44xb9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have been having the same issues as discussed above. A few minutes ago I logged into Quicken and it opened up WITHOUT THE ADDITIONAL LOGIN SCREENS (I had 1 large background & 2 smaller ones)!! I logged back out and then logged in again and again there were no additional login screens!! I use Quicken Windows Subscription and have version R27.42 installed at the moment. Hope it remains this way :)
  • Don Bartenstein
    Options
    2h44xb9 said:
    I have been having the same issues as discussed above. A few minutes ago I logged into Quicken and it opened up WITHOUT THE ADDITIONAL LOGIN SCREENS (I had 1 large background & 2 smaller ones)!! I logged back out and then logged in again and again there were no additional login screens!! I use Quicken Windows Subscription and have version R27.42 installed at the moment. Hope it remains this way :)
    You would be in the lucky minority of the folks on this thread then!
  • 2h44xb9
    2h44xb9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Logging in just now, I did not enter my password quick enough, so the "Welcome To Quicken" screen did appear, however, the 2 smaller ones did not. I logged out and logged back in again and immediately added the password and the "Welcome To...." did not appear, nor did the 2 smaller ones. So Quicken, please give us more time to enter the password!!!
  • Don Bartenstein
    Options
    2h44xb9 said:
    Logging in just now, I did not enter my password quick enough, so the "Welcome To Quicken" screen did appear, however, the 2 smaller ones did not. I logged out and logged back in again and immediately added the password and the "Welcome To...." did not appear, nor did the 2 smaller ones. So Quicken, please give us more time to enter the password!!!
    I see that happen occasionally.  I think it has more to do with network or Quicken server speed at any given time.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Options
    Version 27.1.28.16 just installed itself....  No change.
  • thecreator
    Options
    Hi @""Don Bartenstein" ,

What is the path to your Quicken Data File? Ex: I:\My Documents\Quicken 2020 Data

• jkornkven
    jkornkven Member ✭✭
    Options
    Removing the password seemed to work at first, but not really.
    Running qw.exe in Win 8 compatibility mode works. The file opens without the extra login screens.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Options
    We are not as alone as we thought.  In another thread I'm in, dealing with OSU issues with the recent patch, a number of users have started complaining about the sign-in screen showing up all the time.
  • andyross
    andyross Member ✭✭
    Options
    Did get a notice from Quicken when trying to close the program that there was going to be server maintenance soon (I think August 26?) overnight. If we are lucky (probably not), it may fix whatever the cause may be. When this first started, they stated it had something to do with server changes.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting, would be nice to get it fixed.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Options
    So version 28.23 is installed....  The sign-on window still lurks behind every time I enter my data file password AND NOW I GET A DIALOGUE BOX PROMPTING TO ENTER MY QUICKEN ID AND PASSWORD EVERY TIME I OPEN THE DATA FILE.

Quicken's new motto: "Onward through the fog as we reverse into the future."
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also getting the prompt to log in with quicken ID every single time now. And of course mutual fund prices still not updating. This software gets worse with every update.
  • chedgeco
    chedgeco Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm being forced to login twice after Quicken update on 8/27/202 Version R28.23

When I start Quicken I am now being forced to login to "Enter Data File Password" and login to "Quicken Online". The passwords and Id's are the same for both. This is reproducible every time I start Quicken. Updated this morning 8/27/2020. Version R28.23 Build 27.1.28.23.
This discussion has been closed.