Won't Windows read a Mac file?

In converting from Mac to Windows, I transferred a QFX file to a Sandisk 3.0 thumb drive. I did not encrypt the drive, but Windows can't read the file.

Best Answers

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if you made a typo or not, but the file to move data between Win & Mac (either way) is a QXF file (X in the middle).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is the format of the file system on the thumb drive? 
  • metzkerw
    metzkerw Member ✭✭
    Sandisk 3.0 ultra. When blank, it shows an encrypted file name, but says the user has to generate encryption. For Mac encryption, you have to download software.
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Thumb drives need to be formatted as exFAT or FAT32 to be readable by both Mac and Windows. I'd bet your thumb drive is neither.

My spouse sent a Mac user a thumb drive formatted in NTFS and it wasn't readable on the recipient's Mac, so I learned this the hard way.
  • metzkerw
    metzkerw Member ✭✭
    Great thought which would never, ever had occurred to me! I checked, tho, and my PC says the Sandisk thumb drive is FAT32. Rats. I'm doing the download through Dropbox, which is taking an eternity.
  • metzkerw
    metzkerw Member ✭✭
    Ok, so it took more than 24 hours to download through dropbox, with the progress bar only indicating about a 75% download. The problem, though, was that it overwrote the file on screen instead of creating a new file. I tried re-downloading through Dropbox again, but Quicken will not read any Dropbox files. The Windows 10 file app reads both Dropbox and the SanDisk files and shows everything is there, so it's a Quicken thing, not a Windows thing. Do I need to contact Quicken support?
  • Hello @metzkerw,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and providing information about the issue you are experiencing, though I apologize that you are still having trouble and have not yet received a follow-up response.

I assume you followed the steps found in this support article to convert from Quicken Mac to Windows?

When you tried to move the file from the Mac to your Windows computer (whether it was through the thumb drive or DropBox), did you try moving the file into your local hard drive first before importing it into a new file in the Quicken for Windows program? If not, I would suggest trying that first if possible and see if that makes a difference.

Should that also fail, then yes, from there I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support instead for further assistance.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• metzkerw
    metzkerw Member ✭✭
    I first used "open new account," then "restore." I just did what you said and voila, it worked, sans lot of data. But still. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.