QMac: Savings Goals (111 Legacy + Merged Votes)

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @GregT And anyone else reading this thread who wants this functionality... Make sure you vote for this feature by going to the first page of the thread and clicking the small arrow under the vote tally in the blue box. The more votes, the more likely the developers are to prioritize working on this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • _mikee21
    _mikee21 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    You would, of course, assume a product you buy would be the same on both platforms as I did and was let down by the missing saving goals on the Mac version. I have used Quicken since 1993 and saving goals changed my life for the better but it appears this has been an issue for six years now to include this, it is not going to happen any time soon and I will need to move on. There is a workaround in the FAQ from 2014 to use assets as a workaround but it causes some problems down the road. I will be trying [removed] and try to come back to report my experience.
  • nltdean
    nltdean Member
    Please make Savings Goals a part of QMac!
  • Russ
    Russ Member ✭✭
    Please add savings goals. I shouldn't have to track that on a spreadsheet. Quicken for Mac has worked well, but I really miss the savings goals.
  • hatTia
    hatTia Member ✭✭
    Please add the ability to creating savings goals. It is one of the key features about YNAB.

I feel like we will need more votes before they will take the time to do this sadly. :(

Or at least provide a simple alternative.
  • jacobs
    @hatTia  Quicken very rarely says what features will be implemented, and when they do, they never say when (because development is often fraught with complications and unexpected delays).
  • Gasport
    Gasport Member ✭✭✭
    Please add Savings Goals. It is in the new Simplifi product, so why not on the Mac?
  • BAF
    BAF Member ✭✭
    Please add Savings Goals.
  • rmike
    rmike Member
    It won’t let me vote for this one, said invalid object.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hello @rmike

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize for any confusion.

This idea has been marked as Under Consideration,  this means this has been forwarded to the development team for review.

Once an idea has the status "Under Consideration," new votes may not be added.

I hope this helps to clarify!
    -Quicken Tyka

[Edited-Update Details]
    ~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once an idea has any status other than New, new votes may not be added.

I hope this helps to clarify!
    -Quicken Tyka
    That is INCORRECT! Only when an idea has been marked as PLANNED or IMPLEMENTED does Vanilla stop allowing votes. Otherwise, votes CAN be added.

(I have argued that PLANNED status should also allow votes to be added as this may impact the significant of the demand on such a feature, since an idea can be, and is often, in with a PLANNED status for a year or two).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Jordbarnet
    Jordbarnet Member ✭✭
    Please add me to the list who wants savings goals ported over. Especially with the forthcoming silicon macs!
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    For some reason it looks like a bunch of votes have disappeared on this idea. It used to have a lot more than my one vote on it (not counting Legacy Votes in the title of the thread). Please keep voting for this idea! It is one of the main things I wish I had in Quicken Mac that Quicken Windows has.
  • jacobs
    There is something funny with votes on this and some other threads. It's possible that the moderators needed to do something with this thread, and so they rolled old votes into the "legacy" vote total in the thread title. But I notice that even though there's 1 vote, my vote indicator (the little arrow under the vote counter) is black, not gray, meaning I've voted for it; if yours is black, then you've voted for it… so how can two of us have voted for it and it still have only 1 vote? Hopefully one of the moderators can chime in on what's happening with votes.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing changed with the Legacy votes on this thread... so something else is amiss.

And I too am showing a black triangle...   this is messed up.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    I think I've noticed some low vote counts on other long-running threads as well, recently, so I suspect it goes beyond just this one; this just makes the problem plainly obvious. I've flagged this for a moderator and asked if they could weigh in.
  • jacobs
    I just confirmed via archive.org that this page had 62 votes showing in the counter as of September 28, the most recent time it was indexed by that site.

The image isn't showing up correctly on that site currently, but viewing the page source clearly shows the vote count:
    <div class="score">62</div> <div class="vote idea-menu">
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the famous words of Happy Quinn... "Not good!"

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Austin@ said:
    For some reason it looks like a bunch of votes have disappeared on this idea. It used to have a lot more than my one vote on it (not counting Legacy Votes in the title of the thread). Please keep voting for this idea! It is one of the main things I wish I had in Quicken Mac that Quicken Windows has.
    Hello @Austin@

Thank you for flagging this, we've corrected the post and the accurate vote count should now be showing, but please let us know if you continue to see an issue with the total count.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • galederosa
    galederosa Member ✭✭
    You used to be able to create a savings goal account, which was like a shell within a given cash account. It was fantastic. Why would you ever dump this feature? It was fantastic. Such a simple thing and yet you deleted it. Bring it back!!!! I would use this to track money I'm saving within my savings account for big annual expenses like Property taxes, or our timeshare payment. The workarounds I'm left within Quicken are terrible. I want to be able to set aside money virtually, not actually, and know how far I am to meeting that goal.
  • jacobs
    @galederosa  Nothing was dumped from Quicken Mac. The old Quicken Mac ceased development in 2006 because the significant changes to the Mac operating system made it impossible to continue revising the program. After former parent Intuit fumbled the ball several times, work began on building a new generation of Quicken Mac, which came out as Quicken 2015. Over the past 6 years, they have been adding features to Quicken Mac, and it's gotten much better -- but there are hundreds of feature requests from former Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows users waiting for the developers to get to.

Make sure in addition to your comment above that you actually voted for this idea at the top of the first page of this thread.
  • OhioChief
    OhioChief Member
    Please add savings goals to the Mac version. It can't be that hard to add this feature as Mac for Windows has had it for like a decade. After using Quicken for Windows for over 20 years I bought a Mac computer and Quicken for Mac. I was shocked to see how far behind the Mac version is over its Windows counterpart. Very disappointing. It's May, 2021. When can we expect this upgrade and upgrades to the investments section?
  • jacobs
    @OhioChief  I just wanted to let you know that Quicken almost never announces what features are coming, and never announces when specific new features will arrive. In the case of this enhancement request, it is marked as "Under Consideration", which means the large number of user votes and comments has resulted in this request being pushed in front of Quicken management and the product development teams, but they have not yet decided to put this on the official development roadmap (nor to reject it). Posts like this often stay in this state of limbo for a long time until the developers schedule it to be worked on -- and then, it can take months for years until a feature is actually introduced to the program. But because we get few clues about what the developers are actively working on, we don't know if this idea is coming this summer, later this year, next year, or never.

Although this functionality exists in Quicken Windows, that does relatively little to make it easy to add to Quicken Mac. It does provide a template of what such a feature might do, but if the developers decide to implement it, they rarely directly copy the idea without re-thinking it and evaluating if there are better ways to implement it. And that implementation has to be developed from scratch; the Mac and Windows codebases and programming environments are so different that there are no shortcuts in repurposing anything from Windows. A feature like this also likely entails some coordination with other product teams at Quicken, to make sure that an implementation in Quicken Mac wouldn't drift in a different direction than any plans for Quicken Windows, and perhaps to fit a framework for Quicken Cloud if they have any plans to make such a feature available in the mobile/web applications in the future.

If you haven't done so yet, please take a second to add your vote to this Idea post by going to the first page of this thread and clicking the little arrow in the yellow box. The votes do matter in influencing Quicken management on what ideas should be higher or lower on their priority list.

Quicken Mac was re-created from scratch about 7 years ago after the former Quickness's Mac program was retired due to aging technology which couldn't be supported by the modern Mac Operating System. Over these 7 years, considerable progress has been made in building up the features in Quicken Mac -- but as you note, there's still plenty of work ahead to meet Quicken's stated goal of bringing the Mac product into relative parity with the Windows version. It's frustrating for users and developers alike that the progress isn't faster, but as a longtime Quicken Mac user, I do find it encouraging to see them chipping away at the enhancement requests and continuing to add significant functionality.
  • HQ
    HQ Member ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something? It seems that Quicken for Mac hasn't had major functional enhancements in 2021. Budget features (vs reports) and simplification?
  • jacobs
    @HQ There are multiple hundreds of enhancement requests users have put before the developers, and only a few of them are in play at any time. Usually there are new releases about every two months, but this year has been slower than usual. Sometimes large infrastructure projects -- like the under-the-hood work on improved connectivity to financial institutions which was at the heart of the 6.2 release -- don't feel like much user-facing progress is being made, but are important to move the program forward. The product manager dropped a hint that he thinks users will be happy to see what's coming in the next release, which will hopefully be out later this month or next month.
  • Nolalou
    Nolalou Member
    I've used Quicken since the 90's and relied on "Savings Goals" within my accounts for many years and various reasons. I'd appreciated them since I'd already done something similar in my hand-written register in the old days. I've been using Quicken on my Mac now for a few years and have adapted to the differences. I have WAITED and WAITED for Savings Goals to become a part of this program! Please stop considering them and MAKE THEM HAPPEN! I'm currently using a Cash Account to set aside money for for certain upcoming expenditures. This means my transactions never clear unless I delete them from the beginning - after they're completed. Inconvenient.
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I've upvoted this idea.

It seems that most of the best functionality and especially visualizations are being developed and implemented in Simplifi. If we could have Simplifi's UI and planning on top of Quicken Mac's functionality and historical transactions, that would be a winner.
  • MoMoney99
    MoMoney99 Member ✭✭✭
    This is crazy, how the heck has this not yet been implemented yet on the MAC version? You guys have prioritized superficial things like Dark Mode over this??? I don't get it. For years this has been a request.