Additional option for frequency of occurrence on bill reminders (75 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    I would add that the option should be to be able to schedule based on a user defined # of days, e.g. every 15 days, 21 days, 30 days, etc. This would make this feature more flexible and accommodate many other scenarios that are not easy to handle right now.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.)

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Hi @smayer97

Posters, who want to Vote, must go to the First Page of the Idea to cast their Vote. Commenting does not increase or decrease the Vote.
    That is OLD text carried over from the old Quicken forum and only applied to that forum.

I have updated the text in the post you quoted but  be aware that type of this old text/instructions appears throughout the forum.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• gkoehler
    gkoehler Member
    Please add ability to schedule Bills and Reminders on the first/last weekday/workday of the month.
  • jmine83
    jmine83 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I want to be able to setup scheduled transactions according to any variety of frequencies that isn't just the common set of currently-defined Quicken schedule durations.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Every 10 days, schedule a projected car fuel transaction of a specified amount.
  • System
    System Member admin
    edited January 2020
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Additional option for frequency of occurrence on bill reminders (11 Merged Votes).
  • Michael McCoy
    Michael McCoy Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken Mac 2007. I had many more date options to do scheduling. I miss being able to say schedule item for the 2nd Wednesday of the month. Also having more month options like every 2 months or 5 months. Why weren't they carried over to Quicken Mac 2020?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have Quicken Mac 2007. I had many more date options to do scheduling. I miss being able to say schedule item for the 2nd Wednesday of the month. Also having more month options like every 2 months or 5 months. Why weren't they carried over to Quicken Mac 2020?
    Those are quite doable now. Simply select the Monthly option when creating/editing a reminder. There you can select # months and/or xth [weekday].

(you may have to click the little triangle to reveal those options)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This probably should have been merged with the other existing Ideas about adding more frequencies and options to scheduled reminders, e.g.
    New frequency for Scheduled Reminders, both Q Windows and Mac (48 Legacy Votes) - Page 2 — Quicken (and others) where the lack of Yearly scheduling option "Every [xx] years" has already been mentioned.
    This discussion was merged by moderator into the current discussion.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, multiples of years is easily achievable by using multiple months but a separate option would still be nice for clarity.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Do you mean, for example, every 2 years or every 3 years? That is currently doable:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
    sometimes there are bills that are longer than a year and I would like to add them in.

For instance - a Fictitious Name statement is due every 5 yrs in my county.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

To the person who wanted a reminder to be scheduled every 5 years using Quicken for Windows:

Since you can't do "Yearly every [x] years" ... How about
    Monthly every [60] months on the [day] ?

An Idea about adding reminder scheduling frequencies and making a few other related changes has been on the books for a couple of years already:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7340440/additional-option-for-frequency-of-occurrence-on-bill-reminders-13-merged-votes
    The Idea is "under consideration" by the programmers, but we're still waiting for something to happen. Please add your vote to this Idea post. The discussion is lengthy. Switch to view page 1 of the discussion so that you can access the blue Vote block.

• davidlambert
    davidlambert Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I would like to see the ability to schedule income transactions monthly on a specific business day as in 'the third last business day.' As a Canadian in receipt of a Canada Pension and Old Age Security, I always get these deposits on a specific business day and it is really annoying having to create each months individually.
  • davidlambert
    In other words, I have to create 24 individual transactions at the beginning of each year.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    You might want to review that and add your vote both here and in this discussion.
    Meanwhile, how about scheduling your and your spouse's retirement income reminders monthly for the 25th 3rd Friday and then change the date of the recorded transactions. It's not exact, but it's "close enough for government work", as one of my former bosses used to say.

• davidlambert
    I have done that in the past. This results in having to create two monthly recurring transactions and then having to modify twenty-two transactions instead of creating twenty-four. Same time needed.
  • Devyn
    Devyn Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I'd like to suggest more options for bill schedules. Specifically, an annually repeating schedule for specific months.

We have four children in university. Each school is slightly different, but their payment schedules are all something like:

- August through May (monthly payment plan)
    or
    - September, December, March (quarter-system pay-in-full)

Unless I'm missing something, with the current system I set a bill to pay every month, August 2020 through May 2021. For the next school year, I either wait until the next cycle (August 2021) to add another schedule, or add a *second* bill that starts August 2021.

For four children over four years, this starts to get a little cumbersome. It would be nice to simply have an annually repeating schedule for specific months.

That's my own example, but I can imagine other similar options. 

I hope more custom schedules like this are added. Thanks for consdering!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you didn't get notified of this Idea's Status Update, posted by a community moderator earlier today, 10/2/20:

Planned · Last Updated 9:38AM

This Idea has been accepted for future implementation and has been added to the Development roadmap and is tentatively anticipated to be included in the R30 release - CTP-591

Waiting with bated breath!
    B)
  • TB8246
    TB8246 Member ✭✭
    RE: Straight Talk has an auto pay option that charges every 30 days.
    This Idea has been accepted for future implementation and has been added to the Development roadmap and is tentatively anticipated to be included in the R30 release - CTP-59. R30 released. No change. Still waiting. Maybe R31???
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is too soon to say that Q did not meet their prediction of R30.  This latest & first release was R30.9.  There were six R28.x releases and five R29.x releases and they did state that it was tentatively anticipated for a R30 release.  That is pretty wishy-washy and not a hard target.  They may come thru and have it out before the first R31 release, but don't hold your breath.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• gcvsea
    gcvsea Member ✭✭✭
    I would like for there to be an option for a scheduled transactions that take place on a specific day of each month. For example, social security benefits are typically based not on a specific date of each month, but on a specific day. For example, the third Wednesday of every month as opposed to the 21st day of each month. Quicken doesn't allow this type of scheduling.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    gcvsea said:
    I would like for there to be an option for a scheduled transactions that take place on a specific day of each month. For example, social security benefits are typically based not on a specific date of each month, but on a specific day. For example, the third Wednesday of every month as opposed to the 21st day of each month. Quicken doesn't allow this type of scheduling.
    It already exists in Quicken for Windows:

You just have to choose, "change" the date.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• KesslerB
    KesslerB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    A couple of my bills are only sent six times a year, so I'd like to see an option that permits scheduling every other month. (Either a dedicated option or a "every X months" kind of thing works fine for me.)

Never mind - I just saw how to do it with the disclosure triangle in the scheduling dialog box. May I instead suggest that the support staff be trained on this? The agent I spoke to earlier told me that it's not possible, and that I should submit this as a feature request.
  • quickastl
    quickastl Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Like the person in [Removed-Self-Referencing]

I'm using AT&T. Not a 90 day plan, but a 360 day plan. (AT&T's shortchanged idea of "1 year").

Please allow adding bill reminders that recurr every (whatever I like) number of days.

Please don't limit to 1 year - there are things that happen every 2ish years, 5ish years (think things like drivers license renewals, passports, warranties). Unfortunately not all use "year" as "the same month, day on a subsequent year. Just let me specify a number of (calendar or business) days between payments.

At present, all I can do is calculate the date of the next bill external to quicken and enter it each year. That's a pain - and something that computers are better at than humans.

Thanks
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Many of my billers bill by number of days and not by weeks, quaterly or yearly.
    Please add the option to bill for a frequency by number of days in the How Often selection.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• tsteven3
    tsteven3 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I have a cell phone vendor that bills every 30 days. I see that there is a way to do every four weeks, which is good for my NY Times subscription, but it would be nice if the Bill Reminder would allow you to customize the number of days, even though there probably are not a lot of vendors processing billing every 30 days.
  • Axe21
    Axe21 Unconfirmed, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2021
    If I'm not mistaken federal law requires that if you receive your paycheck on the 15th and 30th (last day on month) and one of those days falls on a weekend your paycheck needs to be available on the Friday before. So if the 15th is on a Sat then you get paid the 14th. Currently Quicken has no way to setup only being paid on weekdays. As a result projected balances can be off by as much as 2 days during the month which may not seem like a lot but when scheduling bills by the date your paid it does cause issues. Is there a way you you can make pay day always a weekday with the wizard?  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Axe21 said:
    If I'm not mistaken federal law requires that if you receive your paycheck on the 15th and 30th (last day on month) and one of those days falls on a weekend your paycheck needs to be available on the Friday before. So if the 15th is on a Sat then you get paid the 14th. Currently Quicken has no way to setup only being paid on weekdays. As a result projected balances can be off by as much as 2 days during the month which may not seem like a lot but when scheduling bills by the date your paid it does cause issues. Is there a way you you can make pay day always a weekday with the wizard?  
    Federal Law does not dictate when an employer must pay their employees.  It's just considered a best practice to pay your employees on the prior normal business day when their regular payday would otherwise fall on a holiday or a weekend.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    A scheduling frequency which adjusts the due date to business days / work days only has already been requested. Please review this:

Suggestion for new scheduled reminder frequencies (Q Windows and Mac)

[Removed Link-Merged]

and vote for it. [Correction: Voting for this Idea has been stopped. The status has been changed to "Planned"] Now all we can hope for is progress to come soon.

• tsteven3
    tsteven3 Member ✭✭
    My cell phone service provider bills me every 30 days, no matter how many days are in the month. Yes, I can set a 4 week reminder and manually adjust it, but the goal is not to have to do that.