Memorized Payee List

I am having same frustrating problem as others with Memorized Payee list changing on its own accord. Categories are deleted from payees. I fix then they disappear again after sync. Same with split transactions deleted to a single category. Old categories are reappearing for some payees replacing categories after having been corrected only to have Quicken replace correct with incorrect categories again after a cloud sync.

This is a significant problem in various threads for enough users paying for a product that should work that causes a lot of wasted time and effort to continuously correct Quicken's unauthorized changes to the memorized payee list only to have Quicken mess with it again. Quicken user since 1990's so let me know if I'm suddenly doing something wrong. Quicken needs to fix the memorized payee component so it operates effectively without unauthorized or unexpected changes. Posts notifying Quicken of this problem have been going on too long. Quicken is a great company with a great product. Please fix it.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Smoothieusa,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Although, I apologize as we do not have an ETA on this.

Once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!
    (QWIN-18081)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Smoothieusa Have you tried locking the payees that you do not want changed?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Rich, yes. Thank you for your suggestion.

Whenever adding a new payee to the memorized payee list or correct the unauthorized changes to memorized payees, I: change the $ amount; uncheck the "cleared" box, uncheck the include in calendar box, and make sure the payee is locked.

Problem with memorized payees being changed by Quicken continues even after resetting Q cloud data (Preferences>Mobile & Web>Reset your cloud data) so the cloud should contain only information from the desktop. But some payees revert to wrong categories in the memorized payee set up and have to edit yet again to get it right.

Will consider the problem answered and resolved when Quicken corrects the programming flaw. However, I am still open to trying other suggestions first.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen a few threads mentioning changes/deleting in the Memorized Payee List.  If I'm not mistaken this is caused by a "cloud sync" bug.  If you are using "cloud sync" to Mobile/Web try turning it off.

As for the "lock".  Its purpose is to state that you don't want Quicken to change/add a memorized payee in the case where you are manually changing the category while entering a transaction using a memorized payee.  It certainly will not prevent "cloud sync" from messing with things.  "cloud sync" is so dangerous because it can basically do anything it wants all in the background.  Just in the recent threads it has been linked to removing accounts, deleting/changing split transactions, changing the reconcile state of old transactions, adding duplicate transactions, and yes I believe messing with memorized payees.

On the deleting of memorized payees I would check one setting to make sure this isn't it.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Data entry and QuickFill -> Remove memorized payees not used in last XX months
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Hi Chris, thank you for your tip / suggestion.

My Data entry and QuickFill is checked to remove memorized payees not used in 24 months. I'll uncheck it and see what happens but don't think this is it because memorized payees the bug is affecting are used frequently and recently.

"Automatically memorize new payees" was unchecked but turned that on to see if it would make a difference. It didn't and hasn't so far.

I agree with everything you say in your second paragraph about there being some bug between the cloud sync and Memorized Payee data. I've recently (over the last two months) experienced each one of those events you mentioned are in various threads.

One advantage of the cloud sync is the ability to sync data and view information with a mobile device when away from my desktop Quicken. Have refreshed my cloud data in the settings menus so my understanding is the file(s) in the cloud are erased and replaced with data from desktop Quicken. Later after a Quicken restart, Memorized Payee data gets corrupted again after a desktop / cloud sync. That shouldn't happen. Quicken could fix this so the program and its components work together and operate effectively.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Smoothieusa,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Although, I apologize as we do not have an ETA on this.

Once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!
    (QWIN-18081)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Anja, looking forward to a speedy resolution. The programming flaw over the last couple of months has cost hours to re-reconcile accounts, add / remove/ correct numerous transactions and lately wasting time attempting to fix memorized payees to no avail. Glad to hear Quicken is on top of the issue(s) and working diligently on a soon-to-come timely fix. Need the fix before considering the issue answered or resolved. Thanks!
  • Jim59@
    Jim59@ Member ✭✭✭
    Having same issue... started a couple "versions" back. Want to say Memorized Payees was working just fine back in August or so...
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Jim, agree with your timing. Hope Quicken's problem solving methodology includes asking what changed and when did it change? For me, the memorized payees et al problems started early September.
  • clcrawford66
    clcrawford66 Member ✭✭
    I haven't been syncing to the Cloud for quite some time except when somehow it got turned on with an update (I never turned it on myself), but my memorized transaction list keeps changing daily. These are transactions that I use regularly and have been for years!! I can fix a memorized transaction one day, and it's is messed up either later that day or the next day. This definitely needs to get fixed! I even reported it as a problem a while back.
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    clcrawford - Great observation. I have been syncing to the cloud so good to know it may not be cloud related. Can certainly relate to your comment about fixing memorized trx one day and they're messed up again later. We're all waiting for a Quicken fix. Fingers crossed Quicken will get it right soon. We're cheering for the whole gang at Quicken to focus and get it done!
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Memorized Payee list unauthorized changes still not fixed.

Program is adding old deleted payees (although these payees and categories are still in and intended to remain as reconciled transactions in account registers' transactions), removing split transaction categories, removing categories from payees... Could the memorized payee file be corrupt somehow or contain programming resulting in these recent problems?

Please fix. Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken synchronizes data with the Quicken Cloud whether sync is enabled or not and whether or not we have selected accounts to sync.  Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of a Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Memorized Payee list unauthorized changes still not fixed.

Program is adding old deleted payees (although these payees and categories are still in and intended to remain as reconciled transactions in account registers' transactions), removing split transaction categories, removing categories from payees... Could the memorized payee file be corrupt somehow or contain programming resulting in these recent problems?

Please fix. Thanks.
    Are you on R30.10? Just want to make sure it still isn't fixed with this version, I was going to test but maybe I don't need to waste my time.

Thanks
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock, have tried several times deleting and resetting the cloud data set but haven't yet tried opening another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account. Although I have backup files, I don't have another Quicken file to open and then reset the cloud file before returning to and opening the Quicken file I use. Will follow your link to read more. Thanks.

jfclague, I have Quicken 2020 vsn 29.22 build 27.1.29.22 installed, according to "About Quicken". A manual check for updates says "You already have the latest version of Quicken( Release R 29.22 ).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock, have tried several times deleting and resetting the cloud data set but haven't yet tried opening another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account. Although I have backup files, I don't have another Quicken file to open and then reset the cloud file before returning to and opening the Quicken file I use. Will follow your link to read more. Thanks.

jfclague, I have Quicken 2020 vsn 29.22 build 27.1.29.22 installed, according to "About Quicken". A manual check for updates says "You already have the latest version of Quicken( Release R 29.22 ).
    To create another Quicken file, select File > New Quicken File....
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Now updated to version R30.10 build 27.1.30.10. Notice some change to the Memorized Payee List. The "Lock" column now missing. Auto memorize new payees turned on.

I like how memorized payees can have multiple categories to choose from when entering a memorized payee name in the register. In Memorized Payee List, had deleted some memorized payees configured with certain categories (eg Costco/gas) while retaining the same payee showing other categories (eg. Costco/groceries and Costco/pharmacy). Costco/gas although deleted is showing up again in Memorized Payee List but shouldn't be since I deleted it and deleted the cloud data file.

Before updating to R30.10, I created a new Quicken file before deleting the cloud data file. Restarted Quicken, opened up my working file, deleted the new Cloud data file, and then synced desktop Quicken working file with the cloud.

Will monitor results for a few days as the problem may not be 100% fixed. Otherwise all is working well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Now updated to version R30.10 build 27.1.30.10. Notice some change to the Memorized Payee List. The "Lock" column now missing.
    Select Options in the Memorized Payee List window, you should be able to turn on the Lock column from there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Chris, thank you for the Options reminder.
  • Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    I am having a somewhat similar problem with memorized transactions. Routine transactions that I know were on the memorized transaction list as a "split" are no longer split. These are routine transactions that I used several times a month. In looking over the memorized transaction list, something occurred on November 12 as 75% of the transactions all say they were last used on that date. I can guarantee I did not used all of those transactions on that date. I did check and I am running the latest version of Quicken. Really discouraging having used Quicken for 20+ years.
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Ron, like you I'm frustrated after also using Quicken for 20+ years. Memorized split transactions no longer split is also something I'm experiencing.

Upcoming transactions in the Bills Reminder list, however, are retaining their split categories. Maybe unrelated but payee names I use in Bills Reminder and the Memorized Payee list are the same so don't know why one keeps split categories and the other doesn't particularly if in the past a memorized payee was set up from the drop-down list using a transaction that had been entered previously in the account register from the Bill Reminder.

Quicken, please come up with a solution. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
  • TB8246
    TB8246 Member ✭✭
    I also noticed there seems to be another column missing in the Memorized Payee List. There should be a "Maintenance Cleanup" column. When clicking the Options button below, there are 3 options to choose from in the "Memorized Payee List Maintenance" to delete unwanted memorized payees but they are all greyed out because you can't select anything
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read "the fine print" in the grey text of these selection criteria. The options are all greyed out because there is not a single MPL entry which applies to the specific selection criteria ... (no items).
    Now, if for some reason, your MPL list is totally hosed, you can do this:

Rebuild MPL

After creating a backup of your Quicken data file …
    To rebuild the Memorized Payee List from existing transactions, click Tools, hold down Shift and CTRL, then click Memorized Payee List.

Afterwards, some review and cleanup may be required.

In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have checkmarks at all options pertaining to recall and memorization.
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    In the process of following UKR's guidance on rebuilding MPL.

[Removed after merging]
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Reposting from another thread -
    Trying UKR's above suggested solution now. I reworked (deleted payees that appeared after 2 decades since last use, removed the calendar checkmark that Q (not me) recently entered, and general housekeeping) my MPL following UKR's listed steps. One early result is I needed to reset cloud file data after getting a desktop / cloud sync error message listing sync errors involving numerous transactions from current and prior years. Very frustrating but seems to sync now after cloud reset with one sync error message - something about an incorrect budget parameter. Need a few days to determine results. Quicken Support needs to get in here with a solution and fix.
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    [Removed - Unhelpful] I'm no longer syncing to Quicken Cloud and no longer using Quicken Mobil app because of frustrating problems syncing desktop with Quicken Cloud has caused over the last month or so with Memorized Payee List.

So many MPL issues. Stopped syncing to Quicken Cloud to stop Memorized Payee List from being corrupted, losing split categories etc., after every sync.
  • Jim59@
    Jim59@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    [Removed - Off Topic/Unhelpful]
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Definitely something wrong with Quicken's Memorized Payee List (MPL). Have doubts now that syncing between Quicken Desktop and Cloud is the lone cause of MPL problems. Over last few days have been rebuilding my MPL after first creating a new data file, deleting the Cloud data file, deleting all previous payees from MP, resetting cloud data again, reverted to a backed-up version of my desktop data file and then started adding payees back into the MPL. Automatically memorize new payees is turned on in the Preferences settings. Haven't done a Sync before closing Quicken or any other kind of sync between Quicken desktop and cloud in days.

Categories assigned to certain payees in the MPL are still disappearing even without a Quicken desktop / cloud sync. Yesterday, several payees were automatically added to the MPL. These same payees were in my old MPL before refurbishment and are of course still show in various account registers as they are valid past transactions. However, rather than adding payees again to my MPL by clicking on an old transaction and selecting Memorize Payee, I have instead been letting Quicken automatically add the payee name from the payee name I'm manually entering into the account register. These payees were also used frequently in the past and are listed in many reconciled register transactions.

Today, after performing a one step update (OSU), there were a couple of payees showing in the downloaded transaction list that I accepted. An examination of the MPL disclosed that category(ies) assigned to some of the vendors that were okay yesterday are gone today. So a payee will show with no category as Quicken somehow is removing categories assigned to some payees in the MPL. Still not going to sync desktop and cloud or use mobile app without Quicken first announcing the sync portion of the MPL problem is fixed.

On November 9, Quicken Anja mentioned the MPL issue is a bug reported to the Quicken Development and Product teams for resolution. Could we please have a status update from Quicken as to the progress made towards fixing the programming? Go team go!

Thanks.
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    Memorized Payee List is working very poorly. There's another more recent similar thread here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884590/after-the-r30-14-update-one-step-update-overwrites-payees-and-categories-edited#latest

Quicken moderator there says issue is being worked on. In MPL, I'm still experiencing categories being deleted; split categories no longer split; old payees with old categories being added again by Quicken to MPL. Updated payees / categories being overridden with old information.

Set up new filename and deleted old cloud account. Then on desktop, opened up my data file with all my accounts and transactions. Turned on memorize new payees. Turned off auto sync and for last 2 or 3 weeks have not synced to Quicken cloud, opting for "no" when desktop asks if want to sync just before closing the app. However, a sync occurs when running one step update so messes up all my fixes to the desktop MPL.

This needs to get fixed now. Thanks.
  • Jim59@
    Jim59@ Member ✭✭✭
    Agreed! I have the same issues and have tried several things to make it stop messing up my MPL, but nothing seems to work.
  • clcrawford66
    clcrawford66 Member ✭✭
    It's funny how memorized transactions that are from a year ago that haven't been used since then are in the list and available for use, but ones that I used in the last week or two (or so) have disappeared!! Please fix this problem!!
This discussion has been closed.