Can I buy Quicken for MAC (64 bit) if I live in Australia or Papua New Guinea?

I have a friend who lives and works in Papua New Guinea. He has been using Quicken 2007 for MAC for a number of years to run a small Not for Profit organisation. He recently had to upgrade his Macbook to a new Macbook Pro running OS X Catalina (64 bit) and his older version of Quicken will not run on his new Macbook. He has downloaded the latest Quicken for MAC, I think from the Canadian or US site. He has been able to install it but can't enter any information or create an account. He has tried to pay for/register it to be able to use it but because he lives outside Canada/US he cannot do so. Any help to resovle this issue would be much appreciated.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't sell outside the US & Canada. People have reported in the past that they have been able to successfully purchase by providing a fake US address. 

(I'm a little confused that you say he has downloaded the program. Quicken doesn't offer any trial versions, so the only way to (legitimately) download the program from Quicken is to have a paid subscription.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jacobs said:
    (I'm a little confused that you say he has downloaded the program. Quicken doesn't offer any trial versions, so the only way to (legitimately) download the program from Quicken is to have a paid subscription.)
    Anyone can download the program, using it is a different matter:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't sell outside the US & Canada. People have reported in the past that they have been able to successfully purchase by providing a fake US address. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jacobs said:
    Anyone can download the program, using it is a different matter:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    @Chris_QPW Well, you learn something new every day! I had no idea Quicken had a page to download the program without registering/buying it. Thanks.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hi @CASmith & @jacobs
    There are several of us Australians here now after getting tired of Reckon Australia charging $230 per year for a 5 min update to the TAX.SCD file and calling it "Tax and Compliance Update". Your friend will have to purchase it direct from the US site. Quicken requires an address to decide what sales tax to charge, pick your embassy address & enter it.

Migrating the data will take a bit though. Check the Quicken support site on migrating old data files. Not sure about Mac, but on PC firstly converted in Quicken Deluxe 2013 (free download, don't 'activate' it), then opening and converting the resulting data file in Quicken 2020. I'm sure I recall reading about MAc data migration on the site also. In Aus the local 'Current' version is in fact based on Quicken US 2008! So for us it is a two stage update also. Canadian version for us is closer to AU using GST accounting etc. I paid with an AU Credit card, and have an .com.au email address registered so it it should be doable.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @YingDave
    Wow Reckon is now charging $230 a while ago someone said it was $160.

The migration path in this case is pretty straightforward because in fact "Quicken 2007 MAC" is the US version already and the new version knows how to convert the data file.  If @CASmith has any problems with upgrading to the newest version of Quicken Mac (and its use since it is different than the old version) @jacobs is certainly one of the best for answering those kinds of question.

But for the record if someone was coming from Windows to Mac from Quicken Windows AU the logical path would be: First Quicken 2013, and then to Quicken Mac (latest version), and there is a process that submits the data file to a server that converts it, and gives back a QXF file that Quicken Mac can import.  The only reason it is using the server is because it uses a version of Quicken Windows to do this which is 32-bit and newer versions of Mac's don't run 32-bit programs any more.  Quicken 2013 also can produce a QXF file, but I believe the server version is more up to date and does a better conversion, for instance I'm pretty sure Quicken 2013 will not export investment accounts.

I don't think there is any reason to go through Quicken Subscription in this case.
    Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Though not for everyone, an alternative is to run QM2007 in a virtual machine (VM) running Mojave or older to get around the limitation of running 32-bit software on Catalina or newer.

Note that an excellent VM is VMWare Fusion v12, which is now available for free if running Catalina or higher (click here)
    (see also: Running Quicken for Mac 2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM))

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW
    It's $160 for Deluxe and $230 for Home & Business for a license that expires annually - you cannot use / access your file after the expiry! 
This discussion has been closed.