Business & rental property does not show totals of rent paid or late

I have Quicken 2018 and added business and rental property subscription 2020. I cannot see where totals of rents paid or late are displayed. I read there should be a column showing amounts owed or due when total amount of rent is not paid. I have entered all tenant info, monthly rent amounts, when due, amount of late fee to be charged and when it is late. I see no totals indicating anyone is late and/or have not paid in full due to paying less than amount due.

How do I fix this?
thanks,

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    @Pleasehelp, If there was a past due amount owed from previous months that occurred prior to adding the tenant to Quicken, then no Quicken would not recognize these past due amounts (aka "overdue" per program verbiage) as it will only track what is due after the date the tenant was added into the program.

So, as far as tracking the payments a tenant would make towards the past due amounts from before being added to Quicken, I recommend adding a note to the memo column (or you can add a notes column also) of the actual transaction that gets added to the account register where rent payments are collected to indicate that a portion of the amount goes towards past due rent. Alternatively, you can also go into the account register and change the rent payment transaction to a split transaction if you wish to create and add a separate category specifically for the past due portion of the amount that was paid.

As for the tenant that pays months in advance, I recommend using the same memo/notes or split transaction categories to specify which months are covered, and in the Rent Center you would click the option to Skip (see below) the months that were covered when they become "due" so-to-speak.

Just FYI, if you don't see this skip option you may need to change your filter settings as it did not show for me either until I changed the filter to the Current quarter.

Additionally, if you are a new user of the Quicken subscription model, I would also just like to inform you that you do have the option to schedule a one-on-one tour with our Quicken 1-2-3 team. 

By doing so, one of our Quicken 1-2-3 team members will contact you via phone at your scheduled appointment time. This team has been specifically trained and put together to assist our new customers in getting familiarized with the program and learn how to utilize it to fit your needs, as well as answer any questions and/or address any concerns you may have.

If this is something that would interest you, then please, click here to select a time slot and schedule your tour! Alternatively, you can also call them directly at your own convenience. The phone number can be found through that same link.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Diana
    Quicken Diana Alumni mod
    edited January 2021

Hello@helpwith

Thank you for posting in the Community, though I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with the rent totals.

I see that you have upgraded to the new subscription however let’s make sure that your software is updated as well. Please go to the HELP menu and choose CHECK FOR UPDATES. If one is available go ahead and install it.

Below I have included a screenshot of where the totals will be displayed. Be sure you have the RENT CENTER tab selected after choosing the main RENTAL PROPERTY tab.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Quicken Diana

• Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    Thank you Diana. I just installed the latest update and everything looks exactly like your screenshot with the exception of there being no overdue heading or column.

Could there be something turned off that I need to correct?

thanks,
    Ken
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Pleasehelp

Thank you for the response although I apologize that the trouble continues to persist after updating.

Can you please capture a screenshot of the Rent Center view, this may help us to better see the issue and locate the reason why you are not seeing the overdue amount.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

Once you have captured the screenshot, you may drag the image to the comment box to share it with us.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    screenshot attached
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @Pleasehelp,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

The Overdue column is triggered to show up only when there are overdue payments after the property and tenant(s) have been added. If there were overdue payments from prior to the date the tenant(s) was added in Quicken, those amounts will not reflect as overdue in Rent Center and therefore won't show the Overdue column.

If you believe there are overdue payments that should show after having added the tenant(s), then I suggest you try changing your filter setting from Recent Months to Current Month and see if it will show then.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    Hi Anja,

Ok. I’ll wait and see if it shows as the month of February comes in. Question; if there are past monies due but for February the tenant pays the amount to cover the current month, will Quicken then pick up monies owed from past months when the correct amount was not paid? And, let's suppose the client pays the actual monthly rent plus $25 to work down past monies owed. How can I track that?

Also, I have one tenant who likes to pay a month or two and sometimes 4 or 5 months in advance. How can Quicken help me keep track of that? Now I have to keep going back and adding up what has been paid and when because Quicken is not showing me anything.

thanks for any help,
    Ken
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    @Pleasehelp, If there was a past due amount owed from previous months that occurred prior to adding the tenant to Quicken, then no Quicken would not recognize these past due amounts (aka "overdue" per program verbiage) as it will only track what is due after the date the tenant was added into the program.

So, as far as tracking the payments a tenant would make towards the past due amounts from before being added to Quicken, I recommend adding a note to the memo column (or you can add a notes column also) of the actual transaction that gets added to the account register where rent payments are collected to indicate that a portion of the amount goes towards past due rent. Alternatively, you can also go into the account register and change the rent payment transaction to a split transaction if you wish to create and add a separate category specifically for the past due portion of the amount that was paid.

As for the tenant that pays months in advance, I recommend using the same memo/notes or split transaction categories to specify which months are covered, and in the Rent Center you would click the option to Skip (see below) the months that were covered when they become "due" so-to-speak.

Just FYI, if you don't see this skip option you may need to change your filter settings as it did not show for me either until I changed the filter to the Current quarter.

Additionally, if you are a new user of the Quicken subscription model, I would also just like to inform you that you do have the option to schedule a one-on-one tour with our Quicken 1-2-3 team. 

By doing so, one of our Quicken 1-2-3 team members will contact you via phone at your scheduled appointment time. This team has been specifically trained and put together to assist our new customers in getting familiarized with the program and learn how to utilize it to fit your needs, as well as answer any questions and/or address any concerns you may have.

If this is something that would interest you, then please, click here to select a time slot and schedule your tour! Alternatively, you can also call them directly at your own convenience. The phone number can be found through that same link.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    Anja, thank you for all of your help. Prior to purchasing Quicken Business and Rental, I had Quicken Deluxe and was trying to take care of the four rentals I have using it. My wife got tired of hearing me complaining of all the juggling I was having to do to keep up with the late payment amounts and the overpaid prepayment amounts and suggested I just purchase the Quicken Rental Property Management. But, from what you are telling me and my experience trying to make it work, it is not going to help.

Thanks for your time.
    Ken
This discussion has been closed.