Quicken will not download new transactions from my citicard account.

This is similar to the problem I had a week ago except that I don't get the error message. Having looked directly a the citi account, I know there are several new transactions that quicken does not download. I have closed quicken, rebooted the computer, opened quicken and tried again with same results. I'm using Quicken 2020, version R31.12, build 27.1.31.12.
Jerry Erickson

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @ToddStowell

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that you continue to experience this trouble.

I would next recommend contacting support by phone for a review of the logs to help further isolate the cause of the issue.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

If the support agent determines that this issue needs to be escalated with Citi Bank, please request that the agent contact Citi Bank with you to help escalate.

Please let us know how it goes with support.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @JErickson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We will need some additional information in order to better assist you further.

Which connection method are you using to connect to Citi Cards (Express Web Connect or Direct Connect)? Also, when attempting to update the account; does the One Step Update give an indication that it was completed, or does the update never complete?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JErickson
    JErickson Member ✭✭
    Connection is express web connect.
    Initially, the update never completed. After deciding to abort the quicken app by ending via task manager, I then re-booted and re-opened quicken. When trying to update at that point, it thinks it is complete and says 0 transactions downloaded.
  • I am having the same issue and it is across all of the financial institutions which I have linked to Quicken. I reached out to Citibank first for assistance and was told Quicken would need to provide the support since there was no issue on the bank's side.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information.

If you haven't already, please try deactivating the account(s) experiencing this issue and then reactivating through Add Account (not through Setup Now).

Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, to reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• JErickson
    JErickson Member ✭✭
    Followed the steps as laid out in the guidance and no improvement. Appears to be updating but does not download new transactions.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for trying those steps, though I'm sorry to hear that that did not resolve the issue for you.

Next, if you don't mind, I'd like to have you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not this is caused by an issue within your current data file.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account and try adding the account(s) you are experiencing this issue with in your original file

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem. I had been using Direct Connect for my Citibank account with no problems, but the Quicken app switched me to Express Web Connect, telling me it would eliminate download issues.
  • Todd R
    Todd R Member ✭✭
    Same problem. When the CC-501 error for Citi was resolved in January it began working via One Step Update, but then there was nothing downloaded. Seems as if only half the problem was resolved in January.
  • Todd R
    Todd R Member ✭✭
    CC-501 issue was supposedly resolved via Alert #8259266.
  • I, too, have this problem--AGAIN. There is something very wrong with the Quicken-CitiBank data transfer program. The proffered fixes work; the problem is they also download 90-days of useless/repetitive data that has to be manually fixed causing a huge headache and waste of time. The only positive thing about a CitiCard is the 2% cash back. But, with this recurring failure to update -- I am strongly considering dumping the card or Quicken. I have used Quicken since 1989 so this is SERIOUS.
  • JErickson
    JErickson Member ✭✭
    Sorry I dropped the ball on this. Have created a test file and added the citicard account. NO - updating the account does not add the new transactions
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hello @JErickson

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

I would next sign out and sign back into the Quicken program. To do this, please follow the steps below.
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    2. Click sign in as a different user
    3. Type "yes" to sign out
    Once this has been completed, please attempt to update once more and let us know the results.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • JErickson
    JErickson Member ✭✭
    signed out and back in per directions on the testfile acccount - still no new transactions after updating.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    What "Citi card" are you using?
    Some Citi credit cards can only be setup using Express Web Connect, which is very error prone, especially with the new "QCS connection method".

On the other hand if you can use the financial institution of "Citi Cards" and Direct Connect it is very reliable.  I have my wife's Costco Citi card setup like that and it great.  What's more unlike the Express Web Connect where the unique Ids are generated by Intuit and have the problem that if you reset the connection or deactivate/reactivate it gives completely new unique Ids, causing duplicate transactions, Direct Connect keeps the same unique Ids over these operations.

For the change over you have to deactivate all these accounts, and then use the Add Accounts to start the process so that you can pick "Citi Cards" and make sure you go into the Advanced Options to make sure Direct Connect is used.

The other part of this is you need to go to the Citi Cards website and select the Profile (person icon) -> More Settings -> Manage Desktop Apps to add Quicken.

EDIT:
    Note that because you will be switch what is generating the unique Ids, you will have to deal with the duplicate transactions, but this should be the last time you have to deal with it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    Is it possible to switch from Express Web Connect back to Direct Connect?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to switch from Express Web Connect back to Direct Connect?
    Not while the "linked" financial institution is Citibank.  You have to change to "Citi Cards" and you can only do that by deactivating the account.

For cases where the financial institution entry has both Express Web Connect and Direct Connect you can go to the Online Services tab in the Account Details and there would be a link that says something like "Upgrade your connection method", but unfortunately in this case that isn't true if you put in Citibank for the financial institution.

I'm going to add something else just in case you are dealing with a credit card that can only be used with Citibank/Express Web Connect.

If you create a new data file: File -> New Quicken File, you can try adding the account there with "Citi Cards" and see if it takes your login/shows the credit card account.  If you can get it setup there then you know you will be able to do the same in the original data file.  That will save you from the case where you deactivate and then find that your credit card does work with Citi Cards.  Note this commonly true of "store cards", but there are exceptions like the Costco Citi credit card.
    Signature:
  • ToddStowell
    ToddStowell Member ✭✭
    There is a known issue with version R31.12 and they have yet to fix it. It has nothing to do with Citibank.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is a known issue with version R31.12 and they have yet to fix it. It has nothing to do with Citibank.
    I agree this isn't a "Citibank problem", but it is also possible it isn't a R31.12 problem.  They are migrating to a different "connection method" called QCS for all Express Web Connect accounts.  They aren't doing all users at the same time.  There have definitely been reports that for some people this new connection method is causing problems, like not downloading of transactions.

There are there possible ways to deal with this.
    1. My preferred way is if possible setup the account with Direct Connect, and be done with that whole mess.
    2. This thread gives how to switch back to FDS (the old connection method) if that is the problem.  In the long run they will migrate completely to QCS and this won't be an option, but it can be used now: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20153632
    3. Wait and hope they fix things.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note if one chooses to switch from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect the unique Ids are going to change and you will have to deal with the duplicate transactions.  This would be a one time deal.    If you transactions are going through the Downloaded transactions tab you can use multiple select there to delete the duplicates.  If your transactions are going directly into the register you can click on the "Status column (the one with the blue dot)" so that it sorts the New/New Match at the bottom and then use multiple select and a right click to delete the transactions.
    Signature:
  • JErickson
    JErickson Member ✭✭
    Having read the recent interactions and suggested 'fixes', I went back to quicken and found that my new citicard transactions downloaded this morning. Thank god I don't have to try to follow the suggestions above.
    By the way, my citicard is a Costco card and I noticed there was an exception noted in one of the responses but not clear what it was intended to mean.
  • Todd R
    Todd R Member ✭✭
    I was able to complete the switch to the Direct Connect method for my Costco card.

I went o the Edit Account popup in Quicken, removed "CitiBank" from the financial institution field, and deactivated the existing online service. I then reactivated online services and chose "Citi Cards" as my institution. I provided my credentials and it performed an Express update that resulted in the same lack of transactions. That got me back to the same spot, but with the crucial difference of Citi Cards as my institution.

On the Online Services tab there is then a subtext that asks if you would like to switch to an advanced method of connection. I clicked through the prompts and to the Citi link provided. This allowed me to sign in to the Citi website and authorize a 3rd party app to connect. It gave me a 10 minute window to go back into Quicken and ask it to connect. It took a minute, but once complete I had my last 2 weeks of transactions downloaded. I was able to select all at once and Delete, avoiding tedious duplicate removal. I'm not sure how you would ask for a longer history, if needed, but it seems to have worked.

I hope it lasts.
  • Dlaraneta
    Dlaraneta Member ✭✭
    Same problem
  • Camelot_One
    Camelot_One Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same issue, though I can add an additional wrinkle. I can run One Step Update over and over and it won't get any of the new transactions from Citi. But if I manually create a transaction in Quicken AND mark it as Cleared, that transaction (and only that one) gets downloaded on the next run, and marked as "matched".
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    > @Camelot_One said:
    > ... But if I manually create a transaction in Quicken AND mark it as Cleared, that transaction (and only that one) gets downloaded on the next run, and marked as "matched".

Yes -- exactly!!!
  • ToddStowell
    ToddStowell Member ✭✭
    If you download manually and import the QFX file, Quicken starts this endless loop not allowing you to make any changes. The screen continues to flash, as it appears to be refreshing. This will continue for hours until you kill the program. If you try to close the program, you will see the message:
    A One Step Update is in progress. Please wait until it finishes before exiting Quicken.
    Although I manually imported the QFX and did not use the One Step Update. Again, this has nothing to do with Citibank. This issue happens when I manually download from other banks.
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭✭
    Same problem here with Direct Connect
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    I installed the latest update this morning -- it arrived when I started Quicken -- and then I downloaded my latest Citibank transactions, and it worked! Hopefully this is fixed for everyone. Does Quicken monitor these discussions? Is this how they know there's a problem needing their attention?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TheBobster,

Yes, certain Quicken staff folks do monitor these  discussions.  Their user names start with "Quicken".

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭✭
    It appears this issue was resolved today. No problem with downloads.
  • ToddStowell
    ToddStowell Member ✭✭
    There is a new update: R31.20. Believe me now, when I said it's wasn't Citibank?
This discussion has been closed.