Double posting of transactions (Q Mac)

mkg
mkg Member ✭✭
:/ Some transactions are being auto-downloaded multiple times. I'm using Quicken Deluxe for Mac, 6.1.1 -- this seems to have happened several times since the beginning of March. Anyone else having this problem?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Which financial institution?

USAA has had this problem since they switched over to their new system.
    EDIT these days I believe it is only happening on their credit card account(s).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mkg
    mkg Member ✭✭
    It's happening with my Citibank MasterCard and an AT&T Universal MasterCard.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @mkg

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report his issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

Can you please provide the connection type being used for these two accounts. This is located under Settings > Downloads.

Next, what type of transactions are being duplicated? Is there any pattern such as only interest transactions, only deposits, etc?

Last, can you please add the FITID column? This number prevents duplicates from being entered into the register. Does the duplicate have the same number in this column? Does the format change at some point?

Please let us know, the more information you can provide the better able to assist we will be.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • mkg
    mkg Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply! The connection type is Quicken Connect. The duplicate transactions have all been credit card charges. I've just added the FITID column. I deleted the duplicate transactions already, so I can't check the FITID numbers, but I will do so when/if it happens again.
  • JCH4802
    JCH4802 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue...USAA credit card transactions duplicated. I have submitted multiple reports using the "Report a Problem" within Quicken, but have yet been informed of a solution.
  • DanielC
    DanielC Member ✭✭
    Same issue. Duplicate checking account downloads have stopped but USAA credit card transactions are duplicated. I don't use the credit card that much but it is still annoying.
  • mkg
    mkg Member ✭✭
    It sounds like the USAA credit card is an ongoing, known problem. That stinks! I haven't had another AT&T or Citi card duplicate problem in a few days. Hopefully the issue was resolved on someone else's end. (Maybe the fix of adding the FITID column to my view helped, though I don't see why making that column visible should matter, I assume all transaction information gets downloaded whether the user views it or not.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mkg said:
     I don't see why making that column visible should matter, I assume all transaction information gets downloaded whether the user views it or not.)
    It didn't.  The only reason to turn that column on was to see what the unique Ids are for troubleshooting.  If the problem went away it is because something changed "upstream" from Quicken.  Either in the QCS sync, or at the Intuit server or at the financial institution.  In the case of the Direct Connect it would be at the financial institution because for that connection type is is a direct communication from Quicken to the financial institution using the OFX protocol.

That is why for the case of USAA, only USAA can fix the problem.  Everyone should be using Direct Connect to that one.
    Signature:
  • mkh.finan
    mkh.finan Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issues on credit card accounts from Citi and Discover, as well as my Schwab checking account. This has been occurring several times within the last week. All connection types are Quicken Connect. I will check the FITID column when/if this occurs again. (Duplicates already deleted.)
  • mkh.finan
    mkh.finan Member ✭✭
    Adding to my previous comments above: I was able to perform an undo on a couple of the accounts to see the FITID's on the duplicated transactions: they are ALL different!
  • Sooner0n0TX
    Sooner0n0TX Member ✭✭
    I too am having this issue but with USAA credit card accounts. Every day for more than a month I get duplicate transactions downloaded. I'm using Quicken for Mac if that makes any difference. I've called USAA but they don't have a solution but have heard of the problem. So others are reporting it to USAA. I am using Direct Connect as my connection type, is that correct?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Our teams are aware of the duplicate transaction download issue and are working with our service provider on a resolution, though we do not have an ETA on when that will be. Once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you for bringing awareness to this issue and we appreciate your patience, though I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause in the meantime!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mkg
    mkg Member ✭✭
    I'm glad to hear it's being looked into. It's still occurring with both my Citi and my AT&T MasterCards. Duplicate transactions have their own unique FITID numbers, not the same FITID number.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja From the reports on here like @mkg's it looks like there are at least a couple of different problems.

The USAA credit card should now be setup with Direct Connect, and as such the problem with duplicate transactions lies directly in USAA's camp.  On the other hand I'm seeing people report about other credit cards and it seems to me the only way that this many different financial institution credit cards can mess up like this at the same time is if they are setup for Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect on Windows) and the syncing to the QCS is somehow messed up.

Note I have two Chase credit cards and one Citi (Costco) credit cards and they are setup for Direct Connect and have no such problems (and in other threads people have mentioned the problem with Chase credit cards).

I wonder if Quicken Inc is aware of this problem since I have not seen any posts to suggest that it known as a problem affecting multiple financial institution credit cards.
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Chris_QPW  It has been confirmed by Quicken Sarah that there are two separate problems: the USAA one, which USAA has to fix at their end, and a Quicken (Intuit) one affecting some customers who received duplicate transactions in the past couple days. (The latter is a server issue Quicken is working with Intuit to get fixed, where transaction data included invalid characters that resulted in Quicken bringing in duplicated transactions to a small number of customers).

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Michael Dulaney
    Michael Dulaney Member ✭✭✭
    My best guess is that USAA has a pair of mirror servers responding to Quicken download requests. The servers seem to be configured slightly differently. One server is assigning a FITID Financial Institution Transaction Identifier) using alphanumeric characters and another is assigning a FITID using hexadecimal characters. One can choose to display the FITID column in your USAA VISA CARD register. Quicken uses the FITID to determine if a transaction has already been downloaded. It regards the Alphanumeric and Hexadecimal FITID as discreet transactions. If you get a response from the same server you connected to last time, you get no duplicate downloads. You connect to the server configured differently (Alpha vs Hex) you get duplicate downloads. I've been harassing USAA to fix their problem for a month now, to the point of writing a letter to Wayne Peacock, CEO attaching printouts of screen shots showing the discreet transactions highlighted and linked with hand drawn circles and arrows showing the duplicate transactions pleading with them to forward this information to their data center managers in Plano, TX. He turned the problem over to, who I assume, is an intern who hasn't contacted me yet though claims she has tried but got no answer. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency has slapped USAA FSB with an $85 million dollar fine after discovering the bank's internal controls and information technology systems did not comply with "Certain Guidelines". Additionally, the OCC found "Violations of law" that were "Part of a pattern of misconduct". That followed the bank receiving a failing grade from the OCC over evidence of "Discriminatory or other illegal credit practices. The fine related to a cease-snd desist order the OCC issue about two years ago against USAA Bank for "engaging in unsafe or unsound banking practices". - San Antonio Express-News.
  • Bill Zakowski
    Bill Zakowski Member ✭✭
    Quicken, a status update please
This discussion has been closed.