Restore Search On Spending Tab

tomjwhite62
tomjwhite62 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports
I used to use this search to find things across any account. This seems to have recently disappeared.
Tagged:
12 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Yes, it looks like they left it out on the Spending tab for some reason when they change the format of the search bar in the account registers.  No idea if it was intentional or an oversight.

EDIT:  I lean towards it was an oversite.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Please restore the ability to search on the Spending Tab!!!!!! I miss it!!!!!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Dave Bezaire

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have changed this post to an idea so that others may vote on this feature. Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

When Ideas have gained enough traction, they are reviewed by our development team for future consideration.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • tomjwhite62
    tomjwhite62 Member ✭✭
    But this isn't an "idea"! This was a useful feature that was removed. This is a regression of the application. I believe this should be considered a defect/bug since this feature used to exist and now does not.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    @tomjwhite62

We users don't know whether the change was intentional or an oversight. Classifying the post as an Idea is one way of bringing it to the attention of the developers.

We can also use the Help > Report a problem link in Quicken. That will not receive a response, but it may help to highlight the issue.

And don't forget to vote on the Idea as shown in @Quicken_Tyka 's post above.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, you still have the Global Search box available in the Quicken window's top title line
    Doesn't that do what you're looking for ... sort of ...?
  • tomjwhite62
    tomjwhite62 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jim... I finally figured out how to vote... it isn't at the top of the post from what I can see, but I have to be in the list of topics to see the vote. Now I have to figure out how to add this to "Report a problem" section. :)

UKR, It doesn't really do the same thing. I have liked using the spending tab to edit and clear my transactions (all my receipts) over the many credit cards, and other accounts I have. I don't want to have to keep bopping around each account as I go through my pile. The now missing feature was very good at filtering out from the many accounts so I could get to the transaction I need to update. The Global Search is way to global, looking through all of time.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for explaining, @tomjwhite62. That is a way of using the spending tab that I had not considered.

The voting box is at the bottom of the first post in the conversation when you are on the Community website.

As I understand it, what you do is download and accept your credit card and other transactions, then go through your stack of receipts in random order, matching them to the downloaded transactions and correcting the payees and categories as needed. I can see how search on the Spending tab would be very handy in that case.

Here are a couple of other approaches you might use

1 - Start by manually entering the information from the receipts. This will go quite quickly once your memorized payees are set up. Then when you download the transactions, Quicken will match them to transactions that are already in your register, and you will only have to deal with any discrepancies, missing receipts for example. I like this approach because only vetted transactions are in your registers.

2 - (what I do)
    -- Enter large one-off transactions manually.

-- Use Reminders to enter transactions that occur on a regular schedule.

-- Stuff the receipts in a folder for the current year.

-- Examine each downloaded transaction and accept it if it matches an existing transaction or if is new it makes sense. I trust that a charge for a reasonable amount from a gas station or grocery store I frequent will be correct. Then I only have to research transactions I don't recognize, like the 2 round trip tickets to Germany that appeared in my Amex downloads a few years ago!

QWin Premier subscription
  • tomv5001
    tomv5001 Member ✭✭
    PUT BACK THE SEARCH BAR IN SPENDING TAB !!!
  • Dave Bezaire
    Dave Bezaire Member
    edited March 2021
    From a user's standpoint, the removal of this important feature with no warning or explanation feels like some type of regression error that snuck into an update by accident. We miss this functionality, and the global search feature, while helpful, does not do the same thing. [Removed - Rant]

I did vote above as requested and also submitted it via the "Report a problem..." command.
  • tomjwhite62
    tomjwhite62 Member ✭✭
    I totally agree, Dave. I said about the same thing a few weeks ago. Now, I'm not a SuperUser, just a "member" like you (even though I have used Quicken since the 90's). So, maybe we don't know the ins-and-outs of how Quicken's Software Development Life Cycle works. Still, my experience in the software development industry, it sure seems like a regression to me (aka, a defect).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to vote.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bruce3360
    Bruce3360 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    [Removed-Rant/Disruptive]
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    I just noticed this today - I thought i was going crazy like "i was sure there used to be a search bar here!" This clearly is a bug/mistake! The search bar was essentially a filter for the spending tab...
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.