why do my bill reminders turn into income reminders?

Options
I set up a bill (manual) reminder. The next month it turns into a DEPOSIT reminder.
This has been happening for about 6 months now.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello @Thomas Davis,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Thomas Davis
    Thomas Davis Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your response.
    Validation found no 
    I will try to explain what is happening, and will capture pictures, but it will not happen again until the NEXT time I pay a credit card so I will have to wait until then to get the pictures.

This is what is happening:
    I create a manual bill, online payment checked, and the category is a credit card account. I select "use current Balance" as the amount to pay.

It shows as an "Online payment" in the Method column.  
    I pay the bill when due, usually slightly more than the amount due.
    The next month it shows as "Deposit" in the Method column, and when I pay the bill, it shows as a deposit to my checking account, and a debit to the credit card!
    Not what I intended. 
    Every month, I need to delete the reminder record and add it back again.

Naturally, this is getting very tedious. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > You said: "I pay the bill when due, usually slightly more than the amount due.
    The next month it shows as "Deposit" in the Method column, and when I pay the bill, it shows as a deposit to my checking account, and a debit to the credit card!"
    Maybe that's what's causing the issue ... your credit card is now overpaid, showing an amount to be refunded to you. And that, I guess, confuses Quicken, at least until you have made enough new charges to use up the overpayment balance.
    Try paying only as much as the monthly statement says that you owe and, hopefully, this issue will go away.
  • Thomas Davis
    Thomas Davis Member ✭✭
    Options
    But that is not how it used to work 3 or 4 months ago, and not how it should work. An "online payment" to a credit card" should NEVER change to an "Income Reminder" and a "Deposit" method.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

This discussion has been closed.