How can I prevent Quicken from downloading scheduled payments from my bank

If I have a payment that is scheduled by my bank, Quicken downloads a reminder transaction and it shows in the register. I don't want these future transactions hanging out at the bottom of my register as it shows a future balance and just makes it confusing. If I try to delete them, Quicken wants to tell the bank to delete the payment.

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can hide future transactions using the filters at the top of the register. Choose "Last 12 Months", for example, instead of the default "All Dates".

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Montanakid
    Montanakid Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I tried changing the value under "show reminders for" to "don't show reminders" but that didn't work. However, changing the filter setting at the top of the page to "This Year" works. YAY! Thanks very much for your help.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you set these payments up on the bank's website or from within Quicken?

If set up via Reminders in Quicken and your bank supports Direct Connect, you can control when the instructions are sent to the bank and thus appear in your register.

Personally, I don't mind having future transactions in the register a couple of weeks in advance; it helps see what the future balance will be.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Montanakid
    Montanakid Member ✭✭✭
    The payments in question are set up directly with the bank so as far as I know, no control within Quicken. Also they go out a year in the future, so I have to see them there all the time.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your bank downloading FUTURE dated transactions?  Such as the ones a year in the future?
    If so, you need to discuss this with Q Support, and probably the bank ... because transactions that haven't posted to your account(s) aren't supposed to download until they're posted.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The payments in question are set up directly with the bank so as far as I know, no control within Quicken. Also they go out a year in the future, so I have to see them there all the time.

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window (the register view from the Filter settings on top down to the first couple of transactions showing the issue), sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

Also, there's a setting in the Actions gear icon, "Reminders to show in register". What's the setting for "Next xx days"?

• Montanakid
    Montanakid Member ✭✭✭
    Hope this shows what you want.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What value is in the CLR column for that 4/1/22 transaction?  What bank/etc holds this account?  And what's your Download method for this account.  For this last piece of info, to TOOLS, Account List ... and look at the Transactions Download column value adjacent to the account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    You can hide future transactions using the filters at the top of the register. Choose "Last 12 Months", for example, instead of the default "All Dates".

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Montanakid
    Montanakid Member ✭✭✭
    The CLR is blank. Bank is Bank of America-All Other States. Download is YES(Direct Connect). Here's another clue - the Online Bill Pay column says Yes(Bank Bill Pay - Bank of America-All Other States). All my other accounts say: NO - (Set up Bill Manager)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The CLR is blank. Bank is Bank of America-All Other States. Download is YES(Direct Connect). Here's another clue - the Online Bill Pay column says Yes(Bank Bill Pay - Bank of America-All Other States). All my other accounts say: NO - (Set up Bill Manager)
    When you have bill pay through your financial institution/Direct Connect is expected to get the scheduled bills downloaded into Quicken.  The only way to have that not happen would be to disable bill pay on the Online Services tab in the Account Details.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Montanakid
    Montanakid Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I tried changing the value under "show reminders for" to "don't show reminders" but that didn't work. However, changing the filter setting at the top of the page to "This Year" works. YAY! Thanks very much for your help.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    So why did you reject my answer above directing you to the filters?

• Montanakid
    Montanakid Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I misread your answer. I thought you were talking about the values that you set under the "settings" gear wheel.. My mistake.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    That's OK. I've used my super powers to un-reject my answer. :)

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use bill pay via Bank of America but I set up the payments using Reminders in Quicken, not on the BoA website. The payments vary each month, so they are not set as Repeating online payments. I set the amount and accept each reminder a couple of weeks before the due date, with the payment date set to a few days before it is due.

With this setup, I see 2 or 3 weeks of advance payments in the register, but they do not post, i.e. no "c" in the Clr column, until the payment date I set.

This works well for me. The only downside is that I must update the transactions for these billers at least once between when I know the amount due and when the bill is due.

For other bills, I have the biller take the amount due directly from my checking account so the action on the Quicken side is "Enter", not "Pay", and Quicken is just matching and tracking the payments, not sending the payment amount to BoA.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.