Missing register for download Loan account

LDN
LDN Member ✭✭
In a loan I created, I can not see the register when I select "Payment Details" button. There are definitely payments applied.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @LDN .  Is your loan connected to the lender for download?  With connected loans there is no loan account register. 
    If you want to see the register you will need to convert it from a downloaded mortgage to a manual mortgage (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876773/downloading-mortgage-info) or delete the loan account and set up up again as a manual load account.
    I and many other Super Users in this Community usually recommend that loans be set up for manual entry instead of for download because of this.  When the loan payment posts against your checking account you can then link it to your loan account using a transfer category...the name of your loan account inside brackets...[ ].
    Now, if your loan is already set up for manual entry, then you are having a different issue.  Let me know if this is the case and we can try some things to troubleshoot it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Hi @LDN .  Is your loan connected to the lender for download?  With connected loans there is no loan account register. 
    If you want to see the register you will need to convert it from a downloaded mortgage to a manual mortgage (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876773/downloading-mortgage-info) or delete the loan account and set up up again as a manual load account.
    I and many other Super Users in this Community usually recommend that loans be set up for manual entry instead of for download because of this.  When the loan payment posts against your checking account you can then link it to your loan account using a transfer category...the name of your loan account inside brackets...[ ].
    Now, if your loan is already set up for manual entry, then you are having a different issue.  Let me know if this is the case and we can try some things to troubleshoot it.

• Beyjay
    Beyjay Member
    Thank you Boatnmaniac! 👏👏👏
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    [EDIT] also updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A for other readers

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jonathanas
    Jonathanas Member ✭✭
    The link doesn't work! I land on a Permission Problem page. Help!
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2021
    The link doesn't work! I land on a Permission Problem page. Help!
    I just clicked on the link and it worked for me.  Maybe when you tried there was a server issue?  I suggest you try clicking on the link, again.  If it still doesn't work, you could try copying it and pasting it/entering it into the URL line.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that link doesn't work for you I made a screen shot of the other post on that link....And here is another  link to try....
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• JohnE
    JohnE Windows Beta, Canada Beta Beta
    I pay my Home Equity at various times a month and I can't see any of these transactions. It is imperative to have a register. Please reconsider giving us back our register!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnE said:
    I pay my Home Equity at various times a month and I can't see any of these transactions. It is imperative to have a register. Please reconsider giving us back our register!

Convert your HELOC loan account to an off line (manual) account register and you'll have your register back. Then make sure that your payment transaction in your checking account transfers Principal to the [name of HELOC account register] surrounded by [square brackets] so that the outstanding balance is correctly reduced.
    Usually, a HELOC account should be set up as if it was a credit card account register (Type = Credit Card) and not like a mortgage account with a fixed payment plan.
  • D_CLT
    D_CLT Member ✭✭

This non-functionality is RIDICULOUS. Quicken, please reverse course. Last month, my mortgage had a register. Now it doesn't. You may consider it a "feature" that I'm handcuffed against accessing my own transactions, but it is actually a bug. Probably while linking some other account at the same bank, I must have clicked something that allowed Quicken to also hot-link my mortgage account, so you can blame me. BUT: If any such process is going to destroy my entire register with no way to get it back, for the love of all that is holy give a big red "ARE YOU SURE?!" warning first!

Luckily I had backups, although I could not revert to one (because I had alredy done lots more subsequent work in my current Quicken file that would've been lost had I reverted). But I was able to export manually-entered transactions from my backup Quicken file as .QIF, then follow instructions at h t t p s ://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc#latest to rebuild the account as a manual one in my current file, then import the .QIF of salvaged transactions.

Please, Quicken, NEVER do something as destructive as this in this way where the user can easily click through and not realize that click results in such destruction.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

@D_CLT See if this helps:

Note that in general accounts setup for maortgage/downloading don't allow seeing the register because of the way the downloading works (where the financial instituiton provides all the information about the download and there isn't any way for the user to "reconcile" and change things). This isn't true of HELOC and auto loans because they aren't monthly periodic interest accounts and they are treated like credit cards.

So, how can one have a mortgage account, downloading, and a register, that now went away?

Well, it was very uncommon, but before the new downloading of loan accounts was created some financial institutions did download loan accounts by treating them as checking accounts. So, they problems you have encountered might be that the account type got changed. This may or may not be something that was initiated at the financial institution level.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.