Reconcile Startup (22 Legacy Votes)

RickO
RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
I just updated to QM2016 3.5.2. I had no problem with the new reconcile on 4 credit card and 3 savings/checking accounts. (Nor did I have any problem with hidden account re-appearing.)

However, there a several mouse clicks needed when starting reconcile that could be made unnecessary by changing the defaults that occur when opening the reconcile window:

1) On an account by account basis, have the reconcile window open to the last-used method for that account (online balance or statement balance). Comment: even though some credit cards are online-connected, I still reconcile them against the paper statement monthly. It would be nice if Quicken remembered this.

2) When using the Statement Balance method, pre-fill the "Statement Ending Date" with a date one month after the last statement ending date (rather than today's date). This is likely to be much closer to, if not exactly, the ending date that matches that on the paper statement and require fewer keystrokes to adjust.

If you like this idea, please click the VOTE button above to let Quicken know.
Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
3 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE to other features related to the Reconciliation Process, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-reconciliation-process

Click the link above then scroll down the page, as it contains a list of related features.  Click on the link to EACH IDEA separatelyThen you click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Hello all,

The new  6.2.0 has made some changes to how the reconciliation feature works. First, the statement prior balance is now optional.

The last used method is saved and will be used upon the next reconciliation. The ending date still does default to the date of reconciliation. The change in default date is the only unaddressed issue in this Idea post. 

There is also an Idea regarding the date available here, this has been marked as under consideration.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken_Tyka Actually, the ending date defaults to the ending date of the last reconciliation plus one month. This will be accurate in most cases, but may be off a day or two since not all financial institutions close statement periods on the same date each month.

It will default to today's date only if the account in question has not previously been reconciled. 

So this idea can be marked as fully implemented, I believe.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • twiceloser
    twiceloser Member
    How the heck can one reconcile just the current statement instead of all the transactions for 3 months? I lost a child, my girlfriend had a brain hermorage so I'm months behind on reconciling my statements. Instead of asking for current dates, every damn transaction for 3 months appears. That is butt stupid!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    First, I'm sorry for your tragedies.

In terms of Quicken, you enter a statement ending date, and it shows you a list of all the unreconciled transactions on or before that date. Think about it: Quicken can't show you just the transactions for the current month, because it doesn't know which transactions were or were not included in the prior month's statement. So any time you reconcile, Quicken (or any banking program) has to show you all the previously unreconciled items os you can check the ones which clear in the period you're reconciling.

The best thing to do would be to go back and reconcile each of the three or four months individually, because you have a bank statement for each month and can insure that each transaction matches and the balance matches month by month. Although it might sound like a lot of work to reconcile three or four months, unless you have multiple hundreds of transactions per month, it should go pretty quickly. 

If you prefer, you can just give the most recent statement ending date, and then Quicken will show you all the unreconciled transactions prior to that — all the transactions since you last reconciled. You'll mark off all the transactions for all the months, and if everything is correct, you should reconcile perfectly — but if not, it's more difficult to find the source of the discrepancy if you're reconciling multiple months at once.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993