Chase cannot unlock accounts until 06/02/21 - Direct Connect setup fails

batstang2000
batstang2000 Member ✭✭✭
Since Tuesday, 05/25/2021, I have had to call Chase each day to unlock my accounts because Quicken evidently attempts to sign in with wrong credentials. Each time Chase unlocked them , I could login to chase.com, but Quicken would not work and locked the accounts again. On 05/28/2021, I deactivated and reactivated my accounts in Quicken and they downloaded then. When I signed in to Quicken 05/29/2021, it once again locked the accounts. When I called Chase to unlock them, the customer representative said "There is a problem in the system and we cannot unlock them until 06/02/2021". I specifically asked if it was just my accounts or everyone and she replied "It is multiple accounts, if they are still locked on 06/02/2021, you will have to call back". Just thought I would give everyone a head's up.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @batstang2000

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your account getting locked out. I'm wondering what exactly still caused the issue her as it's something we could ideally prevent. Did support go through any additional information on how to prevent the issue while you were in contact with them?  Another user from BoA recently had a similar problem and was able to fix the issue by deactivating and reactivating the account by adding them as new account then relinking. I can leave steps below you may be able to use in the future.

First we'll try deactivating all of the accounts for the affected FI. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216277

Let us know if you're able to get everything working properly once you get the chance!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• batstang2000
    batstang2000 Member ✭✭✭
    That is exactly what I did on 05/28/2021 and transactions were downloaded. When I attempted the update today (05/29/2021), it locked the accounts again. My problem now is that I cannot reconnect the accounts because they are locked and Chase says they cannot unlock them until 06/02/2021. When I was able to download the transactions on 05/28/2021 it created another huge problem. All of my payments to 3 different Chase accounts since March 1st which were in Quicken as Transfers from various checking accounts held at other institutions were deleted and automatically changed in Quicken to "Web Payment Made" in the register. That meant I spent two hours researching, finding and correcting all of those transfers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is the connection method used (You can see it at the top of the account register)
    I'm you are guessing using Express Web Connect.

If that is true my suggestion would be to switch to Direct Connect which will have far fewer problems.
    Note you might have to go into the Advanced Options when reactivating accounts.
    You might also be able to select a link "Improve Connection" on the Online Services tab in the account details.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • batstang2000
    batstang2000 Member ✭✭✭
    I will definitely use Direct Connect whenever Chase unlocks my accounts.
  • batstang2000
    batstang2000 Member ✭✭✭
    Called again today and the CS I talked to was able to unlock the accounts. Deactivated accounts in Quicken. Relinked accounts and downloads were successful. Direct Connect set up was not successful, but I will just leave it as is as for now as long as it works. Evidently, the first Chase CS I talked to simply did not want to deal with it?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    batstang2000 said:  ... Direct Connect set up was not successful...
    What happens with trying to setup Chase as - Direct Connect ?
    What is the exact name of the bank entry being used for the Quicken setup - Chase - ?
    Here is the Chase setup info, with the 3 different download protocols avail - and Direct Connect should just work -
    10898    10898    10898    Chase    https://www.chase.com/    1-877-242-7372    https://secure01c.chase.com    ACTIVE
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT   
    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• batstang2000
    batstang2000 Member ✭✭✭
    After my failed attempt to "Direct Connect", Chase sent a secured message via the Chase online website. After confirming my identity and following the steps they provided, Direct Connect is now operational.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you got it all setup, hopefully this will be a lot more trouble free for you now that you are using Direct Connect.

It use to be that you could go into their website and tell them to turn on Direct Connect, to avoid the fail, but when I went looking for the current menu items to do that and give them to you I found that they were no longer there.  It was:

- go to the person icon in the top right corner

- choose "Profile and settings"

- from the left side menu, choose "AccountSafeSM" and "Desktop apps"

- choose "Continue" and "Set it up" to connect the software

So I figured that Chase has changed the procedures, and it looks like that is the case.  I thought it would be "seamless" now.  I remember years ago the procedure was you would setup Direct Connect and it would pass, but Chase would send you a message like you got that you had a few days to confirm it.  It seems that now it is "fail" and then confirm unless someone else can find a different way.

OK after some more digging, I did find it, they moved the setting once again (this is a one time thing you don't need to do this again, this is just for any other user that hits this, or the others answering questions about this).
    New path, select the menu:

Security & privacy -> (scroll down, and under Resources) Desktop Software/Learn More
    And if you haven't set it up, then it should be choose "Continue" and "Set it up" to connect the software.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here is a better way to do it in case Chase changes it again.
    Select the Search icon and type in Quicken.

Signature:
  • jimb408
    jimb408 Member

there is no "accountsafe" on that menu

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

that was from 2 years ago - Are you trying to setup CHASE today .. which involves the Quicken Add Account, and a visit to the Chase website to Authorize 3rd party access… which is new for the EWC+ download protocol.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @jimb408,

Since this is an older post that was originally created back in May of 2021, we suggest creating a new post for better visibility and to potentially receive responses from other users who may currently be experiencing the same problem. Doing so will also assist us with better tracking ability in the event that this issue may result in an escalation being required. 

Please be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages as well as the version of Quicken you have currently running (Help > About Quicken). The more information you are able to provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.