CC-501 and Capital One

ulrichson1
ulrichson1 Member ✭✭✭
I get error CC-501 when updating my Capital one accounts anybody else? And are they working on this?

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Jeffrey Wilens,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, please review this error-specific support article regarding error CC-501.

As stated in the article, you will need to contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance. Our support agents will need to collect and review your log files, and will likely be required to file an escalation in order to have it successfully resolved.

Please, click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    ruvitz, do not try to re-enable.  De-activate and re-setup.  This usually works.

Answers

• SandraL
    SandraL Member
    I've been getting this error for WEEKS. What is going on? I haven't been able to update my account since FEBRUARY
  • ulrichson1
    ulrichson1 Member ✭✭✭
    I get this a lot with capital one. This time I reset all accounts and then updated and it went. Before I have had to deactivate all capital one accounts and set up again using capital one bank new. I reached out to support to see if there was an issue and they said they are not showing one at this time. You can go to your account on line and download into quicken from there also.

Hope this helps.
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is occurring today 8-8-21 with just setting up and/or reactivating my Capital One 360 Account.
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Capital One should go to Direct Connect as Discover did.  Now no more problems with Discover!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rick8 said:
    Capital One should go to Direct Connect as Discover did.  Now no more problems with Discover!
    In reality Capital One in conjunction with Quicken Inc/Intuit created their own connection method called Express Web Connect + (plus), which was suppose to be better than Express Web Connect, and solve the problems, and maybe other financial institutions adopt that.  That didn't work out that way.

It would be really nice if all the financial institutions supported Direct Connect/OFX protocol, but that never happened.  It was created by Intuit, Microsoft, CheckFree, and "the financial institutions".  But even with these heavy hitters only about 5000 financial institution ever adopted it (out of more then 35,000 in the US alone).  The OFX protocol requires a "OFX server" at the financial institution that understand this standardize protocol.  The fact that it is a standardized protocol makes if quite robust, but it is an extra cost to the financial institution.  And one that when asked to pay for it by the customers most say they will just go to another financial institution.  Bottom line is that support for it is now down to about 2400 financial institutions.

Express Web Connect is the idea that the Intuit servers would log in as you and get the QFX file (which is called Web Connect) to import it.  That was later expanded to get the data in other formats.  But the concept is the same Intuit's servers log in as you (with all the complications that has) and gets the data in an "agreed way" (which can be different from financial institutions, and their website can change and break this).

Capitol One has was on Express Web Connect (never Direct Connect) and had tons of problems.  So they thought they would work with Quicken Inc/Intuit and "fix the problem", by setting up a "new standard" (a standard of ONE financial institution), which was called Express Web Connect+.

Well they did that, but as you can see it didn't fix the problem.  And I have good guess at why that would be true.  In fact Express Web Connect can work pretty well, and has for some financial institutions.  And I think that has more to do with the stability of the website and the processes that go on in back of it.  So take a problem financial institution like Capital One and throw on a new "agreed way" to transfer the data and you haven't changed anything.

But the bottom line here is money.  Quicken users are actually a very small percentage of customers for the financial institutions, and one way or another they are asking the whole customer base to pay for their connections, because most will not pay a monthly fee.  And on top of that if you think about it using Quicken lets you go to other financial institutions without losing your history, something that regular customers might stay with one financial institution not to lose.  And on top that these days the financial institutions have their own systems that they have spent a lot of money developing it isn't like back in the 80's when you couldn't get charts of your spending or such.  And most even have a form of aggregation to allow seeing other financial institution's accounts along side of your accounts at that financial institution.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jeffrey Wilens
    Jeffrey Wilens Member ✭✭✭
    I have received the same error message and when trying to reset the express web connect + with Capital One 360 I get Quicken servers not available. This has been last 2 months.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jeffrey Wilens

Please take a look at the guidance located at this LINK.  This should fix that error.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW - Great write-up!  Did not know a lot of the development.  It's always "follow the money"!
  • Jeffrey Wilens
    Frankx, the suggestion did not work. I still get error CC-501,unable to connect to Quicken Servers.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Jeffrey Wilens,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, please review this error-specific support article regarding error CC-501.

As stated in the article, you will need to contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance. Our support agents will need to collect and review your log files, and will likely be required to file an escalation in order to have it successfully resolved.

Please, click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jeffrey Wilens
    I spoke to Quicken customer support today and they confirmed there is a known problem with some Capital One 360 accounts although not all where the Capital One 360 server will communicate with the Quicken server. No ETA provided.
  • Jeffrey Wilens
    Error CC-501 still occurs when trying to set up express web connect+ with Capital One 360 accounts.
  • arvali
    arvali Member ✭✭
    This is still happening as of August 30th. It goes through the Simplifi authorization followed by error CC-501.
  • ruvitz
    ruvitz Member ✭✭
    still happening as of Sept 2nd. CC @"Quicken Sarah"
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Capital One transaction downloads worked today for my credit card accounts.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• ruvitz
    ruvitz Member ✭✭
    it still is not working for me as of Sept 4th. been almost one month like this. currently I cannot re-enable the account for online transaction download. keeps giving me CC-501
  • PAUL2
    PAUL2 Member ✭✭✭
    stopped working for me yesterday on 9/3 at 7 am, is there any know fix..??

i called support and the said wait five hours, i am still waiting
  • PAUL2
    PAUL2 Member ✭✭✭
    still getting cc-501 error, no i have to wait until tuesday..
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    ruvitz, do not try to re-enable.  De-activate and re-setup.  This usually works.
  • ulrichson1
    ulrichson1 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all of the answers I have moved to a different bank they closed the capital one in my town
This discussion has been closed.