Categories do not show up the budget screen

JohnKarman
JohnKarman Member ✭✭
Until recently (August 28, 2021 back up file) they would show up in my budget screen, but once i start putting in September transactions, the budget screen no longer show the category "income" and any of its subcategories.

When i run a budget report the main category of "income" shows up, but now the main category called "personal income" is not showing up. All these main categories and sub categories show up in every list to manage categories and i can assign these categories to transactions in the registers.

I have updated to R33.7, version 27.1.33.7. Canadian Edition. Anybody know what the fix for this is?

[edited for readability]

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    I tried this, but it appears i can re-assign categories only to a custom category group?
    The way to get a category back into the default category group is just remove it from the custom group.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Done, I actually just opened up the category list, selected the category, choose Edit, this open up the category. then under the group I could not select the group "personal income", so i just typed it in. It is ow fixed and reporting properly.
    Thank you

Answers

• Hello @JohnKarman,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, to start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    Thanks Anja, i tried both the validate and the super validate action and neither of them solved the issue. Do you have any other suggestions? I would seem weird that it start at a certain month.
  • petersimon
    petersimon Unconfirmed, Member
    I'm Also Facing the Same problem
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JohnKarman ,

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    I would love to post images, but this post will not let me. according to the instruction link i should see an icon for an image above this text box, but all i see is a smiley face. I even tried starting a new post and new discussion, but even then, no icon above the text box. Can anybody tell me how to do this?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you start you don't have enough "points" to see get the picture icon, instead you can just drag an image to the comment box and it will attach it.
    Signature:
  • JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    OK i will try this. Let me know if the images show up or not.
    i have attached images of the budget screen in the planning menu how it shows in august (taken from a back up copy) and in september. The category list snip is from September, so the categories are definitely there. I have gone back to the august back up file, and then proceeded to update all transactions till this week. Once done, the "income" group disappears.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why you defined your paycheck income categories as Category Group = "Income" and everything else in the default Category Group "Personal Income"?
    I have no idea why your Quicken doesn't seem to like Group "Income" any longer. Somebody more familiar with the Canadian Q version would have to explain this.
    Here's what I would try: In Tools / Category List change all categories with Group = "Income" to Group = "Personal Income" and see what happens.
  • JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    I think the group income was a leftover form a pervious version of quicken, back in the day when it came on a CD. I will try this.
  • JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    I tried this, but it appears i can re-assign categories only to a custom category group?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    The way to get a category back into the default category group is just remove it from the custom group.
    Signature:
  • JohnKarman
    JohnKarman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Done, I actually just opened up the category list, selected the category, choose Edit, this open up the category. then under the group I could not select the group "personal income", so i just typed it in. It is ow fixed and reporting properly.
    Thank you
  • Megas
    Megas Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. Categories are failing to show up in reports.
This discussion has been closed.