Portfolio X-ray

RonJB
RonJB Member
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I used Quicken for Windows Premier version. When I try and use Portfolio x-ray, I get an error SAMLERROR: redirect failed.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, I had to re-select the accounts and securities a few times to get everything to be included, but I do not get an error message at 10:40 am Eastern.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • waylord Hamrock
    waylord Hamrock Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Quicken for Windows > Invest (tab) > Portfolio X-Ray > Stock Intersection (tab) : The % of investments in the " 1-50 out of 50 results" only adds up to about 17% of my investments instead of the expected 100%. Is this a mistake, or do I just not understand how it works? This may be off-topic, but I cannot figure our how to start a new topic. [email address removed for privacy]
  • Jim_Harman
    The Stock intersection looks at the 50 largest publicly traded stocks in the selected accounts and securities.

If you have a broadly diversified market cap weighted portfolio, a large number of your securities will not be shown and the top 50 holdings will account for 20-30% of your portfolio.
  • Country Boy
    Country Boy Member ✭✭
    So basically you are saying this feature is a waste of time. If it doesn't include all my holdings what value is it?
  • Jim_Harman
    I think the idea is to alert you if you are overweight, i.e. too much influenced by the performance of any particular security. For example if you hold several actively managed mutual funds that all focus on large cap growth companies, you might find that 10% of your holdings are in Facebook. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For me it has no value because Morningstar (or at least how Quicken sends them to Morningstar) only tracks one of my mutual funds.

But if you look at what it does provide it isn’t only by security it is by location and by type like stocks vs bonds, but definitely agree the point is to understand if you are concentrated in one “area” or not.

And note that like a said one “area” can be location, so if you intended to have a portfolio that is diversified over global locations you could certainly see that in the map parts.  And there is a stock vs bond section too.

It isn’t a portfolio like the one that is in Quicken for tracking all your securities.

And it is sort of pointless to show more than 50 securities because by the time you get to 51st security there isn’t any way that you have a high concentration in it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    To be clear, it is the Stock Intersection part of the X-Ray that is limited to the 50 largest holdings in each fund or ETF.

The rest of the X-ray analyzes all the holdings.

But as @Chris_QPW points out, Morningstar's analysis is limited to securities that are in their database, which is basically publicly traded securities that have ticker symbols. Special funds in 401(k)s, for example, are ignored in the analysis. 
  • U2sleep
    U2sleep Member
    I have been getting the SAMELError message for about a month, reported to Quicken. Anyone have a fix?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @U2sleep,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community, however, since this is an older post that was originally created back in September of 2021, it is less likely to receive an answer now.

I would suggest creating a new post for better visibility and to potentially receive responses from other users who may currently be experiencing the same problem. Doing so will also assist us with better tracking ability in the event that this issue may result in an escalation being required.

Please be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages as well as the version of Quicken you have currently running (Help > About Quicken). The more information you are able to provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.