Incorrect Online Balance

I am having trouble with one of my credit card accounts, Fidelity Awards Card. When I update my accounts, that credit card account is reporting an incorrect online balance. The last couple of days, the “online balance” after an update is dropping the “cents’ amount. So….the "ending balance” might correctly be, say, $5,083.25, but the "online balance” is being reported as $5,083.00.

This makes it impossible to reconcile the account.

This error occurs whether I update all accounts at once, or just update the Fidelity Credit Card account by itself. The error also occurs if I ‘add’ a new Fidelity Credit Card account to my Quicken file. That new account reports exactly the same incorrect ‘online balance.’

Also if I Deactivate the credit card account and then reset it, the error persists.

Interestingly, if I create a whole new Quicken file and then add the Fidelity Credit Card account to that file, the ‘online balance’ is reported correctly.

Hope you can advise me on this problem. Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you deactivate that account for downloading, and then create a new account in the same data file?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that this isn't simply an issue of your amount column being too narrow to display cents?
    Also, have you examined the OFXLog file to see what was sent by the FI?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your help.

If I deactivate the acct and create a new account in the same data file, I get the exact same error. If I create a whole new data file and then add the acct to that file, the problem goes away, and the correct online balance is displayed. Problem appears to be in the data file, I guess.

And no, the problem is not a narrow column. The cents figures are always and actually displayed as .00.

I've tried looking at the QFXlog file, haven't had any luck finding anything there. Is there a trick to finding the online balance figure sent by the FI?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    tmucsu said:

I've tried looking at the QFXlog file, haven't had any luck finding anything there. Is there a trick to finding the online balance figure sent by the FI?
    Looking at this entry:
    65942	65942	65942	Fidelity Rewards Credit Card	https://login.fidelityrewards.com/	N/A	https://login.fidelityrewards.com/onlineCard/login.do	ACTIVE	 	 	 	BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT	NOT_QBP	NA
    It seems that the connection type is Express Web Connect, and if that is the case then the information isn't in the OFX log, it would be in the Cloud Sync file, or one would hope it is in there.  I person can't make heads or tails of what is in that log file, but is the one Express Web Connect is using these days.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmucsu - When I first saw your original post I was wondering if perhaps the issue might be caused by some sort of corruption in the data file's Cloud Account. 
    This thought was reinforced when you stated that deactivating the account and then adding a new account in your primary data file resulted in the same issue but when adding the account in a new data file the issue does not exist.  Setting up a brand new data file will create a totally separate Cloud Account from the primary data file Cloud Account.  This tells me that it likely is not an issue with what the Financial Institution has downloaded.  So, maybe this is a Cloud Account issue.
    What you might want to try doing is to reset the Cloud Account for your primary data file. To reset your Cloud Account: See the picture below.
    • If you do not have Mobile & Web Sync turned On you will need to do this first before you can try to Reset it.  Once the Reset is completed, you can turn off Mobile & Web Sync, again, if you wish to (especially good to turn it off if you do not use Mobile or Web).
    • Doing this Reset will not affect anything in your data file.  It simply refreshes the data in the Cloud Account.
    • Once completed, try updating the account to see if the issue is resolved.
    If this fixes the issue, then great...an easy fix.
    If it does not we can walk you through a couple of other troubleshooting steps.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac- Thanks so much, but the problem persists even after the cloud data reset. I will gladly try any other ideas you have, and in the meantime I'll keep piddling around, let you know if I ever get it fixed.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @tmucsu - You stated that the online balance is incorrect.  Has this been confirmed by comparing it to the balance of your online account right after running OSU?  Or have you assumed that it is incorrect because it does not match the Quicken account register ending balance?
    If the online balance matches what you see in your online account, then it means that your register ending balance is incorrect, not the online balance that is incorrect.  Then you will need to search for the offending transaction (wrong dollar amount transaction or a transaction that is in the register that should not be or a transaction that is missing).  Perhaps a relatively easy way of finding the offending transaction would be to export a register report from that new file you just set up (because that file has the correct online balance) and compare that data to  what is in your primary data file.
    If this doesn't pan out, have you tried to Validate and Repair your primary data file?  (File > Validate and Repair File)

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    The 'online balance' is incorrect. The register ending balance agrees with my actual account statement. If register ending balance is, say, $123.45, and the actual account statement shows a balance of $123.45, then the 'online balance' is reported as $123.00.

I have run Validate and Repair, but the error persists.

Weird, huh?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tmucsu

So, from what you've indicated above. it sounds like the bank (in its provision of express web connection data) is now truncating the "online balance reported to Quicken" to whole dollars - would you agree? 

If so, I would suggest that, at least for the time being (i.e. until the bank fixes their problem), that when reconciling your account you use either a paper statement, or you adjust the amount the bank is reporting by using an adjustment to correct the cents difference.  You might also contact your bank about this problem, but I suspect they may not actually appreciate the significance of their error to users that expect precision of the data provided, even if you are lucky enough to get to the right person at the bank (i.e. the folks who are involved in Quicken data matters).

Let us know how this ends up.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    I don't think the bank (actually the credit card company) is truncating the figure. If I create a new data file and then add this very same credit card account to it, then the online balance figure is reported correctly.

All other accounts in this data file are displaying their online balances correctly. I wish there were some way to transport an account to a new data file, just to see what would happen.

Yes, I am now reconciling manually, which works fine. But it drives me slightly crazy to see that incorrect online balance figure on my screen.

I have appreciated everybody's interest in this problem, and your suggestions. It's been an education in the inner workings of Quicken, and I learned some stuff I did not know. Thanks all.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @tmucsu

You may want to try one more thing...

Since you said that the online account balance downloads correctly in a new datafile - I suggest that - in the current Q datafile - you:

1) First - backup you Quicken datafile, just in case.
    2) Disconnect the current credit card account as follows:
       a) Go to "Account Details" > "Online Services" tab> click the "Deactivate" button
    3) Once that completes, go to the "General" tab for that account and make sure you that all the data in the "Account Number", "Routing Number" and "Customer ID" fields is deleted.
    4) Go To "Tools" > "Add Account" > and follow all steps to set-up a new "Connected Account" for this credit card;
    5) After the above - check that the Online Balance for the new account agrees with your statement or online balance on the web - in other words make sure that this new account fixes the issue.
    6) You can then go back to the closed account and:
        a) make a note of the "Opening Balance"
        b) Highlight all the transactions in the account and then use the "Move transactions" function to get the old transactions into your new account.
    7) Delete the old credit card account.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Hi @Frankx -
    Nope. Same error.

You probably know this, but in the "move transactions" operation, everything transferred properly except for the 'memo' column. I lost all my little notes explaining what each purchase was about. It was all backed up, so no problem, but this seems like a little bit of a flaw.

Thanks again for the help. Perhaps somewhere down the road all will be made clear to us.
  • Boatnmaniac
    There is now another Fidelity CC holder saying he has a 0 cents online balance issue...as well as not getting any transactions downloading:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20213822#Comment_20213822.  The Quicken team is aware.

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks for the heads up. Misery loves company, and now I've got some!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tmucsu,

Is your Fidelity Card an "Elan" Fidelity Card?  Also, has the card stopped downloading transactions, or have you had any other problems with it beyond the "zero cents" issue?

Frankx

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Hey @Frankx Yes, it’s Elan. Yes, I’ve had some download problems. I see that someone else is now reporting my same problem….maybe a solution is in the offing. I don’t know if this is significant, but all my zero cents balance problems, an all my download problems, go away when I create a new data file and then add the Elan account to that file. But if, in my original data file, I Deactivate the account, or Reset the account, then the download works fine, but I still get the zero cents problem. I have resolved to spend the weekend not thinking about all this, and hope Quicken will get it fixed. I have appreciated your interest in my little dilemma.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2021
    There is only one Fidelity CC (Fidelity Rewards Visa) and it is issued by Elan Financial.  There are 2 setup FIs for downloading it into Quicken:
    • Elan Financial Services (EWC):  This is has been the most reliable.  Download and connection issues with this setup link have been uncommon.
    • Fidelity Rewards Credit Card (EWC):  This has been less reliable.  Not sure why that is though since it is essentially the Elan Financial site with a Fidelity branding image.  Most of the Fidelity download and connection issues I've had and that I have seen mentioned in this forum have been related to using this setup link.
    So it is a bit surprising to see so many people currently having issues with the Elan connection setup .

• Boatnmaniac
    I am now getting a CC-503 error code.  I also cannot log into my online account via the Elan website and cannot access it via my Fidelity Investments online account.  It looks like Elan might be doing some system maintenance.  Let's hope that whatever they are doing addresses the 0 cents online balance and transactions download issues.

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
  • tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I'm getting the CC-503 too. But again, if I create a new data file and then add Fidelity to it, it connects perfectly, updates successfully, and fixes the zero balance issue. Not that that does me any good, but it's interesting.
  • wsgumich
    wsgumich Member ✭✭
    I was having both the 'zero cents in sidebar online balance' problem and no new transactions downloading on both of my Fidelity credit card accounts. But it appears that downloads from the Elan server have now started working (QM Deluxe v6.4.4). One down and one to go.
  • kileyrreid
    kileyrreid Member ✭✭
    I have the same .00 cents issue with an Elan Fidelity Credit Card on-line balance. No problem with transactions downloading but, can not reconcile automatically. Just started this week. I tried a reset and deactivate but, issue returns.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I was finally able to resolve my CC-503 error by doing Reset Account and then making sure to link the download to my account in Quicken.  A transaction did download but I was not having an issue with this except during the time I was getting CC-503.  My online balance amount remains accurate.
    It might be a long shot, but doing Reset Account might help others.

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks...I did this. It did resolve the CC-503 error, and it did download all transactions, but it did not resolve the "zero cents" issue in my "online balance." See attached screenshot.
  • Hello all,

Thank you all for your continued updates on this. 

Can I have anyone that now has the incorrect balance submit log files? This way I can look to see if the cents are being sent over or not. 

To do this;
    1. Go to Help.
    2. Select Report a Problem from the menu options.
    3. Fill in the fields but most importantly, leave the logs attached.
    4. Send to Quicken.

Let us know when this is done so we can take a closer look for you guys!

Quicken Alyssa

• tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Report sent
  • Hello @tmucsu,

Thank you for sending those logs over for me! I really appreciate that!

This is what I found in the logs. It confirms exactly what you captured in your screenshot. 
    "name":"FIDELITY VISA","usageType":"PERSONAL","onlineBalance":-5676.0000,"onlineBalanceAt":"2021-11-15
    Unfortunately, this means that this is the way the bank has sent over the information, and therefore they are responsible for it. So at this point, I need to refer you to Fidelity for more information on the issue.

I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Quicken Alyssa

• wsgumich
    wsgumich Member ✭✭
    My "zero cents" issue seems to have been resolved as of a few hours ago. (I didn't do anything to attempt to fix it.)
  • tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Yes, mine is fixed, too.
  • tmucsu
    tmucsu Member ✭✭
    Old pal Fidelity Zero Cents Online Balance is back this morning. Anybody else?
This discussion has been closed.