Moving investment transactions fails

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
As a test, I tried to move all investment transactions from a traditional IRA to a newly-created Roth IRA. It failed. The transactions didn't move; they were deleted, and both accounts now show $0.00 balances.
This is using right-click Move Transaction(s) in the IRA register.
Can anyone reproduce this before I report it as a bug?
QWin R30.14

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a transaction, "Shares transferred between accounts", you should try it instead.
    As always, do a Quicken Backup first in case things go bad.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2020
    Thanks, but I'm not looking for a workaround, but rather to determine whether this is a reproducible bug. And "Shares transferred" won't copy all transactions, it just moves the shares.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was not able to reproduce the issue (199 IRA transactions appeared to have moved perfectly to a new Roth IRA) but I'm still on R30.10.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went through two complete investment transaction moves to a new account using the gear icon and both times worked flawlessly. At the completion, validate runs without any reporting. The balances shifted as expected.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Thanks for testing, guys. This appears to be new symptom of my existing data corruption.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Thanks, but I'm not looking for a workaround, but rather to determine whether this is a reproducible bug. And "Shares transferred" won't copy all transactions, it just moves the shares.
    Sorry about that.  I missed that it was you that posted the question, otherwise I would have not suggested it to you since I KNOW that you knew the workaround.
     :) 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• hugh_mul
    hugh_mul Member ✭✭✭
    I have 3 old (ZZ) Schwab accounts and 3 new Schwab accounts. Two accounts transferred transactions flawlessly but the largest failed as described above. It removed 879 transactions from the zz account but put none in the new account! Perhaps there's a max that it can transfer correctly. Looking for solution.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I just tested this again in R36.54 and it's still broken for me. This time, it emptied the source account (OK), but only added 1 transaction from a different, uninvolved, account to the destination rather than the many transactions from the source.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just tested this again in R36.54 and it's still broken for me. This time, it emptied the source account (OK), but only added 1 transaction from a different, uninvolved, account to the destination rather than the many transactions from the source.
    It works fine for me.  I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the problem you are getting is because there is unseen corruption in the original account.

BTW are you aware of the fact that you can now change a Traditional IRA account to a Roth IRA account in the account details?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    It works fine for me.  I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the problem you are getting is because there is unseen corruption in the original account.ional IRA account to a Roth IRA account in the account details?
    Yes, I'm sure this is my own personal data corruption manifesting itself. I'd done supervalidate before trying this, so I'm stuck with this corruption. I sure wish they'd come up with a tool to really clean up corruption.
    Chris_QPW said:
    BTW are you aware of the fact that you can now change a Traditional IRA account to a Roth IRA account in the account details?
    Great. The account type change I would prefer is Checking to Savings. Q thinks my savings account is a checking account, probably from when I originally created the account eons ago and didn't notice what it was doing.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Great. The account type change I would prefer is Checking to Savings. Q thinks my savings account is a checking account, probably from when I originally created the account eons ago and didn't notice what it was doing.
    If you tried the old method of moving in non-investment accounts?
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

I do think they are way too restrictive in the account types.  This should be another that the user can just change.  From what I understand Quicken Mac is much more flexible in this regard.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    If you tried the old method of moving in non-investment accounts?
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Insomniac at 3 AM, I tried this. That was a bad idea.
    I inadvertently copied a live OXfr, which then duplicated itself not once, but twice, for unknown reasons. So I ended up with three $9000 online transfers executed at the bank instead of one. No phone reps at that hour, so I tried using Quicken's email feature from the Online Center. No response. So I phoned after the sun came up and the phone rep was unable to reverse the 2 erroneous transfers. Now I just have to wait for them to settle and transfer the money back.
    Moral of the story: don't experiment in the middle of the night and watch out for live online transfers.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I’m sorry, I didn’t even think about online transfers.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    I’m sorry, I didn’t even think about online transfers.
    No need to apologize. I consider it a learning experience.

This discussion has been closed.