PNC web Connect broken

Don Awalt
Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
Unable to connect to PNC Web Connect. To make things simple, I created a new data file just adding PNC to it. When I tried to add my 2 accounts there, I got this which seems to indicate there's a Quicken problem as it says don't contact PNC, it's a Quicken server problem:

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello again,

This issue has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates. Please note that while the error code you reported here is different from the error shown in the Alert, it is related as we are seeing internal server errors with PNC.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    As it mentioned I tried again in a few hours, almost 4 hours. Still the same error with an existing account in Quicken or adding a new account to a blank data file. I sent logs. Any comment on this Quicken?

I wish I knew what was going on - this is the third financial institution to break for me in the last few weeks. What's going on behind the scenes?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Note:  PNC Bank - Direct Connect supports the Direct Connect connection method for free but you do need to request access from PNC.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is the error on an existing connection, CC-501. I don't pay a subscription fee to find connections don't work and experts say don't use it.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Is there a reason you're not using "PNC Bank - Direct Connect" as your FI/connection? Nothing works as well as Direct Connect.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    It's my mom's account, she is retired, and it's very expensive. Plus the only difference is that service offers bill pay which she does not need. 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    [Edit: snarky yet incorrect comment removed. My only excuse is that I'm neck deep in income taxes this week, so not my usual cheery self.]

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    [Removed - Disruptive] The feature is in the product, I was reporting when it is not working that it can be fixed. I am not expecting 365x24x7 military systems uptime, I made a simple post asking for help. [Removed - Disruptive]
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Don Awalt said:
    It's my mom's account, she is retired, and it's very expensive. Plus the only difference is that service offers bill pay which she does not need. 
    You are mistaken.  PNC Bank - Direct Connect supports the Direct Connect connection method for free.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/personal/service-charges-fees-non-vw/all-ServiceChargesA.pdf
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    I see that nowhere on their web site, where do you see this? And oh by the way - Direct Connect is broken too.

• Quicken Anja
    edited April 2022
    Hello @Don Awalt,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, in the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. 

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello again,

This issue has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates. Please note that while the error code you reported here is different from the error shown in the Alert, it is related as we are seeing internal server errors with PNC.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Quicken Anja, and I have submitted 2 problem reports (one on normal download attempt, one on adding the bank account new to an empty data file).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don Awalt said:
    I see that nowhere on their web site, where do you see this? And oh by the way - Direct Connect is broken too.

To locate the Consumer Fee Schedule, you may Google PNC fees or sign in to PNC's Online Banking web site, select Account Activity on the My Accounts tab, and select Consumer Fee Schedule at the bottom of Account Services at the bottom on the Account Summary region.

Also, Direct Connect is not broken.  As I stated earlier, you need to request access from PNC.  Sign in to the PNC's Online Banking web site and follow the instruction they provide on their Quicken Enrollment form.  A path to the form is to select the My Accounts tab and More at the bottom of Account Services.  The form is toward the bottom of the Manage Accounts region,

After PNC provides the Direst Connect User ID and password, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab.  After you have 
    you deactivated the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab, select Tools > Add Account..., Advanced Options, and choose Direct Connect, and select Next.  After you have authenticated, Quicken should provide the list of the accounts it obtained and allow you to link them to the appropriate existing registers. 

• ChetOrSteve
    ChetOrSteve Member ✭✭
    Will PNC let you use Direct Connect on a Business Checking and Business Money Market? I ask because I got a generic error message at the PNC web site when I tried to get a PIN for Direct Connect. I have Express Web Connect on those accounts now, and I don't seem to be able to pay bills or transfer money between those 2 accounts. If PNC does let me use Direct, is there a graceful way to transition from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Will PNC let you use Direct Connect on a Business Checking and Business Money Market? I ask because I got a generic error message at the PNC web site when I tried to get a PIN for Direct Connect. I have Express Web Connect on those accounts now, and I don't seem to be able to pay bills or transfer money between those 2 accounts. If PNC does let me use Direct, is there a graceful way to transition from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect?
    PNC Bank - Direct Connect should support the Direct Connect connection method for Business Checking and Business Money Market accounts however the form you need to submit is different and there is $2 monthly fee:

https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/smallbusiness/Quicken_Quickbooks-Enrollment-Form.pdf
    https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/smallbusiness/DepositAccounts/bus-deposit-fees.pdf

The graceful way to transition from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect is to deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with the financial institution and clear the financial institution's name on the General tab.  After you have you deactivated the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with the financial institution and clear the financial institution's name on the General tab, select Tools > Add Account..., the appropriate financial institution, Advanced Options, and choose Direct Connect, and select Next.  After you have authenticated, Quicken should provide the list of the accounts it obtained and allow you to link them to the appropriate existing registers.

Note:  When we change connection methods, Quicken may initially import duplicate transactions which we may delete.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • ChetOrSteve
    ChetOrSteve Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Sherlock! Very helpful. Let me throw you one more curve. I’m transitioning my business from Quickbooks to Quicken for Biz. My Quickbooks expires at the end off May and I’ve been using Quicken for almost a month now. I just realized that my existing Quickbooks/ PNC relationship is via Direct Connect. So I’m wondering if I really need to fill out and mail in the application. Maybe I should just call PNC and see if I can apply by Quickbooks Direct Connect to Quicken somehow? What would you advise?
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Still broken, 6 days later. 
  • Bill Newton
    Bill Newton Member ✭✭
    Agreed. Yet, the Windows version continues to work just fine with PNC via Web Connect!
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually @Bill Newton I am on the Windows version with Web Connect for 6 days now - downloading does not work, Reset does not work, adding the accounts to a new empty data file does not work.
  • Bill Newton
    Bill Newton Member ✭✭
    @Don Awalt - That's strange because I downloaded from PNC via Web Connect successfully just this morning, and every morning for months using Quicken for Windows. It is only my Quicken for Mac version that stopped connecting to PNC a few days ago. When trying to connect via the Mac version, the program continually tells me the info it gets back from PNC is that I don't have an account at the bank.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Sherlock! Very helpful. Let me throw you one more curve. I’m transitioning my business from Quickbooks to Quicken for Biz. My Quickbooks expires at the end off May and I’ve been using Quicken for almost a month now. I just realized that my existing Quickbooks/ PNC relationship is via Direct Connect. So I’m wondering if I really need to fill out and mail in the application. Maybe I should just call PNC and see if I can apply by Quickbooks Direct Connect to Quicken somehow? What would you advise?
    I think you should be good to go as the enrollment form appears to be the same.  I would give the Direst Connect User ID and password a try and call PNC if there is an issue.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Don Awalt - That's strange because I downloaded from PNC via Web Connect successfully just this morning, and every morning for months using Quicken for Windows. It is only my Quicken for Mac version that stopped connecting to PNC a few days ago. When trying to connect via the Mac version, the program continually tells me the info it gets back from PNC is that I don't have an account at the bank.
    I think you may be talking past each other.  @"Don Awalt" appears to insist on using the unreliable Express Web Connect connection method, where as you appear to be using the Web Connect connection method.  PNC Bank confuses matters by supporting multiple financial institution names with access to the same accounts.  Some of these names support multiple connection methods.  For example,

PNC Bank - Web Connect only supports the Express Web Connect and the Web Connect connection method.
    PNC Bank - Direct Connect only supports the Express Web Connect and the Direct Connect connection method.
    PNC - Virtual Wallet only supports the Express Web Connect connection method.
  • Bill Newton
    Bill Newton Member ✭✭
    I see what you are saying...thanks, Sherlock.
  • RobRay
    RobRay Member
    I have been unable to download my PNC transactions for at least a month. Very little help from Quicken. I am not sure we have the whole story. Would someone from Quicken please detail how I can get this corrected? Thanks
  • Darren2@
    Darren2@ Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Having the same issue after changing my bank password on the 16th.  Tried deactivating and cannot reactivate either.
  • Old Guy
    Old Guy Member ✭✭✭
    Hoping for a resolution soon... Help Help. I keep sending the error reports as well.
  • soccerchamp42
    soccerchamp42 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Comment Removed
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for another waiting for a fix. I have a PNC Virtual Wallet account which only supports the Express Web Connect, so Direct Connect is not an option for me. Would appreciate if anyone could provide guidance alternative to using Direct Connect.
    PNC Bank added support for the Direct Connect connection method for Virtual Wallet accounts last year:  https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/smallbusiness/Quicken_QuickBooks-Direct-Connect-Service-Agreement.pdf  
  • soccerchamp42
    soccerchamp42 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Comment Removed
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > PNC Bank added support for the Direct Connect connection method for Virtual Wallet accounts last year:  https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/smallbusiness/Quicken_QuickBooks-Direct-Connect-Service-Agreement.pdf  

Thank you for that update, Sherlock. I was looking at your message from a couple of days ago that included, "PNC - Virtual Wallet only supports the Express Web Connect connection method." but I'm most likely getting confused with something. It's been a long day. I'll give Direct Connect a shot tomorrow AM. Thanks again!
    You appear to be confusing the financial institution names PNC Bank provides with the accounts they may be used to access.  You should be able to access your Virtual Wallet accounts with each of the financial institution names I included in that earlier post.

Note: To use the Direct Connect connection method, we need to use PNC Bank - Direct Connect and choose the Direct Connect connection method when we set up the Online Service.
This discussion has been closed.