Continuing Series of Quicken Download Failures

Qunbee
Qunbee Member ✭✭
Attempting to update bank accounts failed repeatedly. Entered info to 'fix' the errors over and over and over again. After several attempts (yes, correct info entered accurately), only 5 of 7 accounts (same institution!) updated, leaving one "error". Then one more account seemed to be updated after a few more attempts...leaving 1 with Quicken failure error message.
Then I discovered that NONE of the accounts were updated, Quicken just stopped reporting all of them but 1 as failing.
What a terrible problem this continues to be. There's no rhyme or reason. Cookies and cache are cleared, blah blah blah. Mac updated to latest of course.
Now what? Phone calls?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Qunbee,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue and I do understand how frustrating that can be. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What financial institution are these accounts with? What connection method are you using with these accounts? You can see the connection method by navigating to Settings in the bottom right corner Downloads > Connection Type. What error code or message are you receiving?

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    The financial institution is a long-established credit union I've connected to through Quicken for decades. Connection method is Quicken Connect.
    The error code is the window which pops up after attempting to update the accounts listing failure to connect messages for each account at this institution. The other accounts at other institutions did not have failure messages.
    In the error code pop up, there is an 'option' to "Fix It" etc. which does not correct the problem whatsoever.
    I've even disconnected one account and re-entered the information (again!) to have the same failure to connect message display.
    The institution is not doing maintenance (although tonight they will be).
    Quicken subscription is due to expire in 4 days. Could this be the problem? Perhaps there's an error at Quicken denying service?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited April 2022
    Hello @Qunbee

Thank you for your response and for the additional information.

Could you please specify the name of the financial institution in question? Also, what is the specific error code that you are receiving? 

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    I don't share my banking information publicly. I tried again just now and the failure message still comes up. Here's the text of the message in the Quicken Account Status message box: "Download Error (-32)" in red. Then below that: "Account Not Found:324:Missing", then a line about the last attempt being 4/20, etc. etc.
    As I said, Quicken has been connecting to and downloading transactions from the the institution (a credit union in this instance) for decades. Quicken has had periodic difficulties connecting to this institution which I've had to correct by deleting and re-entering the connection information over and over, sometimes for each account. That did not work yesterday or today.
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    Note: The failure message above is the same for each of the 7 accounts at the institution. To repeat, other accounts at other institutions are not having any problem downloading transactions.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Qunbee

Thank you for your response and for updating me on the error code that you are receiving.

I have located a support article that defines troubleshooting steps to take in regards to the Download Error (-32) message that you are receiving. You may follow this link to access that FAQ.

In regards to learning which financial institution this error is occurring with, finding this information helps us to be able to work towards a resolution as certain financial institutions require certain troubleshooting routes to be taken and we do have active alerts regarding specific financial institutions and specific instances. 

I have sent you a direct, and private, message regarding the financial institution, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Without your naming  of the CU, we can't research whether these error are are particular to your Q setup or widespread at this CU.
    Also can you provide the specific error code/message that you're getting.  That's also needed to research your issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Qunbee Since you don't want to share the information which could help shed light on the error you're receiving, I'd suggest that you'll be better off speaking with Quicken Support by phone than by continuing with this issue on this forum. Quicken Support can screen share (if you allow them) to see exactly what the errors are, and look into your connection log files to try to pinpoint what the error is revealing about your issue.

Connectivity problems can occur anytime a financial institution makes changes in its back-end systems; depending on Quicken's connection method to that particular financial institution, it may even be accessing a different server than the one you log onto to view your account. Sometimes the problem is on the financial institution's end; sometimes it's because Quicken's connectivity provider, Intuit, must make changes to their scripts for connecting to the financial institution. Ideally, the credit union notified Intuit of whatever changes they've made, and it's in Intuit's queue to be re-programmed; if they didn't, then the only way Intuit will know there's a problem is if Quicken users contact Quicken Support, and Quicken Support creates a trouble ticket to have the issue researched. With small credit unions, if the change isn't in some software used by a bunch of credit unions, isolating and then fixing the connectivity problem can take awhile. But the first step is to make sure this is on the radar by having a phone session with Quicken Support. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    NotACPA and Jacobs: the info was shared privately with Quicken Jasmine.
    Quicken Jasmine, thank you but I tried both of those options listed on the link you sent.
  • jacobs
    @Qunbee For the reasons I noted above, I think your next best move is to call Quicken Support when you can set aside some time to try to work through this with a Support representative. Best wishes.
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    It's probably time to give up with Quicken. Since my subscription expires in a couple days, this repetitive problem happened at the 'right' time. Although it was resolved each time over the years, it's unfortunate that Quicken has no standard solution for their software errors.
  • jacobs
    @Qunbee If it was one recurring problem, I'd agree with you that it would be squarely Quicken's fault. The problem is that connectivity issues are a compilation a host of issues: some with the Quicken Mac software, some with Quicken's aggregation server software, some with Intuit's connectivity and aggregation software (which Quicken contracts with them to provide), and some with individual financial institutions, many of which think of Quicken — if they do at all — near the bottom of their checklist when making server and security changes. The financial services industry seems to be slowly moving towards a more consistently-used standard for interchange of data, but it's a long and slow path to traverse.

So while I agree that it's frustrating to have recurring problems with connectivity, I disagree with your statement that "Quicken has no standard solution for their software errors." Or, I should say that I actually agree that there's no standard solution — because there's no single or standard problem; there are unfortunately many problems because the banking world around them is in constant flux, and things which worked yesterday often turn up broken today. 
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    The problem is still occurring however I discovered (discovered!) that the institution has a new website configuration! This might be the issue, not Quicken. I just wanted to post this and thank everyone again for attempting to help. I don't know yet if the connection issue will be resolved as Keypoint has indicated (curiously not disclosing that they had migrated to a new website), but my fingers are crossed.
  • Patricia123#
    Patricia123# Member ✭✭
    As of today 5/2 Keypoint says the KP IT department knows there are issues and is working on resolutions. Direct connect updates through Quicken will not work at all. You can only download the accounts for Quicken by going online to the new Keypoint Portal and processing a manual download from their site that you then have to open to have it upload into your Quicken account. It sucks! They have no ETA on fixing this. Does QUICKEN have any suggestions??
  • Patricia123#
    Patricia123# Member ✭✭
    By the way, Keypoint has been sending emails that there were going to update and change their portal. And once they did they sent emails indicating that it had taken place. And the download problems inside Quicken started once that was done.
  • jacobs
    I know it's no consolation, but it's pretty typical for connectivity in Quicken to get broken when a financial institution changes their website and/or servers. If they had communicated in advance with Intuit (the connectivity provider for Quicken) about their planned changes and provided Intuit a test site to use, then a successful resolution can occur within a few days; if they didn't, it can take days or weeks, depending whether the bank or Intuit or both need to make changes. (And since Intuit deals with thousands of financial institutions, things are constantly being changed and broken — and they can't get to each one in just a day or two.) The moderators who post here on behalf of Quicken have no ability to find out from Intuit when a fix to a particular problem is expected. 

So I'd hope for the best (it will be fixed within days) and plan for the worst (it will be fixed in a few weeks). That may mean entering your transactions manually for the time being, or just going without having your most recent transactions in Quicken while you use the bank's website to monitor your transactions and balance. 
  • Patricia123#
    Patricia123# Member ✭✭
    A few years ago both quicken and keypoint made changes to their systems right around the same time. That time it took MONTHS to get it all resolved. And an unbelievable amount of work on my part with them and many many phone calls with support for both of them. It was truly awful. I'm hoping this time not that bad.
  • jacobs
    I'm hoping this time not that bad.
    My fingers are crossed for you! ;) 

One of the likely problems is that Intuit, somewhat logically, seems to give some amount of priority to issues based on the size of the institution (or the number of online users it has, which they can obviously track). A problem with Citi or Bank of America will get more prompt attention and time than a smaller bank or credit union.

If the Keypoint you're talking about is the Silicon Valley-area credit union, its website says it has about 60,000 customers; about 1% of US adult population uses Quicken, so we're talking about perhaps 600-1,000 Quicken customers affected. Compare that to Bank of America, which has about 55 million digital users — nearly 1,000 times more customers. Looking at those numbers, you can understand that although a small bank or credit union getting low priority may seem unfair if you're a customer of that bank, it makes sense in the big picture.
  • Patricia123#
    Patricia123# Member ✭✭
    Jacobs I was unaware of the small numbers with my credit union (yes, Silicon Valley is main branch). And I do understand the scope of attention based on the size of the database. I told Keypoint today that I may change all my accounts to another bank because it is such a pain to deal with this. However, I really like my credit union and the benefits I get from them. And these things happen with all financial institutions and Quicken/Mac. So....I'll keep on using them for the time being but if it gets worse I may change. Thanks.
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the help Patricia123#!!!👌🏻
  • altoflyer
    altoflyer Member ✭✭
    This is a frustrating problem. My understanding is that Quicken uses scraper technology to extract the transactions and that the banks don't like it, since they feel it's undermining their business model. This is reminiscent of the early days of single sign-on (SSO) that mostly used screen scrapers to work. Later, the industry established standard protocols and supported them with APIs. I'd love to see apps like Quicken work with the banks to establish APIs for data interchange in exchange for banks getting a small fee for the use of them. The banks would generate revenue and Quicken users would get reliable downloads.
  • Patricia123#
    Patricia123# Member ✭✭
    As of Tuesday all my quicken and KeyPoint issues have been resolved and it’s all downloading correctly under Direct Connect again. But it was a mess to straighten out.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    I just noticed that 2 of my Keypoint accounts silently stopped downloading in May 2022 (around 1 month ago). I tried resetting and deactivating/activating online downloads, but still no transactions downloaded for the past month (and I see many on the Keypoint website). So it looks like Keypoint one-step update is not fixed yet.
This discussion has been closed.