QWin: Allow reordering of split lines in transaction entry dialog (8 Legacy Votes)

UKR
UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There's an Idea posted for the Mac version of Quicken suggesting to allow reordering of split lines in register transactions.
See here for reference: Allow reordering of split entries (38 Legacy Votes +4 Merged)

I think, the same applies to the Windows version of Quicken.
It would certainly be helpful if one could move a Split line entry up or down in the dialog or somehow reorder the sequence of existing split lines. Drag and drop, as suggested for the Mac version, would certainly be a plus.

If you are reading this and would like to see this enhancement in a future version of Quicken, please click the VOTE button on this webpage.

20 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    How about being able to sort by the columns in your the split window, like category or memo?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Yes I would like to be able to reorder categories. The list of categories within some entries (such as credit cards) gets to be quite long. As time passes, some categories are no longer used. Would like to be able to delete one without leaving a space and/or resort. The name of a category sometimes changes. I would like to have them listed in alphabetical order.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I would like to be able to reorder categories. The list of categories within some entries (such as credit cards) gets to be quite long. As time passes, some categories are no longer used. Would like to be able to delete one without leaving a space and/or resort. The name of a category sometimes changes. I would like to have them listed in alphabetical order.
    To make things easier for working with credit card statements in Quicken I recommend you create a Quicken account register for each credit card account you have.
    Then, in each register you record the credit card purchases individually and categorize them as needed, with our without splits: Groceries, Clothing, etc.
    When it comes time to pay the credit card every month, you set up a Scheduled Reminder as a simple transfer from the Checking account to the credit card account. No complicated fiddling with a multiple Split categories transaction needed.
  • gbar
    gbar Member
    Re-ordering splits would be of great value when recording a transaction that matches a statement of income and expenses from, for example, a property manager. The income sources change (e.g. cleaning and other fees passed on to guests), taxes change (new ones are being added frequently) and expense sub categories change. When that happens a new line is added to the multi line statement, but it's difficult to just step through the statement to create a record in Quicken (Windows) because when you add a new line to the split, the order gets more and more out of whack. Simple drag and drop re-ordering would be best, but little arrows like you used in the new feature for reordering your accounts on the account bar would be good as well. I know I can just start from scratch and recreate the split transaction, but doing that repeatedly is only necessary because you can't either re-order the split transactions or 'insert, cut paste' a existing split line.
  • gbar
    gbar Member
    Re-ordering splits would be of great value when recording a transaction that matches a statement of income and expenses from, for example, a property manager. The income sources change (e.g. cleaning and other fees passed on to guests), taxes change (new ones are being added frequently) and expense sub categories change. When that happens a new line is added to the multi line statement, but it's difficult to just step through the statement to create a record in Quicken (Windows) because when you add a new line to the split, the order gets more and more out of whack. Simple drag and drop re-ordering would be best, but little arrows like you used in the new feature for reordering your accounts on the account bar would be good as well. I know I can just start from scratch and recreate the split transaction, but doing that repeatedly is only necessary because you can't either re-order the split transactions or 'insert, cut paste' a existing split line.
  • gbar
    gbar Member
    sorry about the duplicate post. The first time I posted it, an error was displayed and I didn't think it actually posted... the error said: Return value of StatusModel::recordStatuses() must be of the type array, null returned.

Presumably you know what that means...
  • pdm96
    pdm96 Member
    This would be so helpful! Also, recently, I find that my previous memorized splits have been randomly reordered by quicken. And no easy way for me to fix this.
  • pdm96
    pdm96 Member
    This would be so helpful! Also, recently, I find that my previous memorized splits have been randomly reordered by quicken. And no easy way for me to fix this.
  • I enter many lines from my pay stub. Now there is a new tax that occurs n the middle, but I have to jump to the bottom to enter that amount then back to the middle to continue. The ability to reorder would be helpful. There are other time when I am trying to organize information such as a long lumber and hardware receipt from Lowes for my front porch rebuild. It cannot be that difficult. I am sure these are all run by pointers.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enter many lines from my pay stub. Now there is a new tax that occurs n the middle, but I have to jump to the bottom to enter that amount then back to the middle to continue. The ability to reorder would be helpful. There are other time when I am trying to organize information such as a long lumber and hardware receipt from Lowes for my front porch rebuild. It cannot be that difficult. I am sure these are all run by pointers.
    Reordering lines in the Split Transactions dialog (moving existing lines up or down) still hasn't been implemented. :-(
    But you can insert or delete lines by using the "Edit" button while in the dialog.
    See https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3217280 for details.
  • Bobhud
    Bobhud Member
    edited October 2023

I would like to see a Sort Function within the Split Categories. For example, when inputting my spouse payroll check it needs to be split in 6 different categories. Every once in awhile Quicken will reorder these categories in the wrong position that they were originally memorized in. A Sort function within "Split Categories" would help keep these in the order that they are inputted in.

[Merged Post]

• Hello @Bobhud,

Thank you for sharing your idea. Since there is already an active idea asking for the ability to rearrange split transactions, I merged your idea with that idea.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta

Reordering split lines, allows us to alphabetize our categories and/or tags if desired. also we can also reorder based on a dollar amount. This just makes it easier to read and process entries, especially where you might have 5-15 categories in a single split.

• Allan Richardson
    Allan Richardson Member ✭✭
    edited January 30

I use dummy, post-dated split transactions to plan the future mandatory (i.e. bills) and automatic (i.e. bills and donations) transactions between dates of expected income, each transaction (all debits) being a detail in the appropriate split. I have from one to 25 detail items, depending on what is due between which income event, and about a half dozen (about 6 weeks) such dummy split transactions. When I enter (or download from the bank) the actual payment of such a debit, I delete the corresponding detail from the next split, and add it to the future split a month or more later. To keep track of them all, I have a shadow text file (Notepad) listing all of them in date order grouped by income event date, so I have to update that file first, moving debits down the file, then compare it with the split transactions in Quicken. Deleting is fairly easy, but adding requires cut and paste from each line in the file to the detail lines in the receiving split transaction.

I suggest that this and similar applications could be handled more easily if details within or between splits, or even complete transactions, could be dragged and dropped with the mouse. I could envision, for example, editing one split and rearranging its details (in my case, by a date written in the payee/memo field) by drag-and-drop up or down the list; or moving it to another split (or to a separate transaction) by drag-and-drop out of the edit dialog into the main register at the appropriate place (then rearranging it later when editing the receiving split). Transactions could also be copied more easily by dragging them from a split detail or an existing transaction to the new transaction row at the bottom (Ctrl+End).

There may be other places where drag-and-drop would be useful, such as opening a Find dialog (Ctrl+F) and dragging a payee, category, or memo to the search parameter (maybe automatically updating the "Field" name upon dropping the data).

[Merged Post]

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30

This may be a good idea, but have you considered using Reminders to plan for future transactions? That sounds much simpler than what you are doing.

[Merged Post]

QWin Premier subscription
  • Allan Richardson
    Allan Richardson Member ✭✭
    edited January 30

I suggest adding the ability to move (or copy) transactions within an account, or to move (or copy) detail items in one split transaction to a different split transaction, or to move (or copy) detail items up or down within a split transaction, by a mouse drag-and-drop.

I use split transactions, post dated, to group future debits by the income event dates between which they will/should occur, but I have to organize it with a Notepad text file kept in sync with those transactions, because there is no way to move a paid debit to the split transaction which corresponds to its next due date. A feature to drag and drop lines within a split dialog, or to the register line of a different split to be edited later, or possibly to a new transaction (in the Ctrl+End line), or from an existing transaction, would eliminate the tedium of maintaining a separate file.

Also, the Find (Ctrl+F) dialog box is unwieldy, requiring a mouse click at the left, or SEVEN tabs, to get to the "Field" name field, then typing enough of the required data to match; if the date, payee, memo, or amount could be dragged from an existing transaction to the Value field, and the Field name field updated accordingly, the Find would be much easier to use.

Please consider adding some of these enhancements. I notice that some other items of data area already draggable, so I know the user interface logic is there. Thanks.

[Merged Post]

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30

There may be other places where drag-and-drop would be useful, such as opening a Find dialog (Ctrl+F) and dragging a payee, category, or memo
    to the search parameter (maybe automatically updating the "Field" name upon dropping the data).

This functionality exists and is easier than what you suggest.

1. Make sure the check box "Find in 'Any Field' by default" is already un-checked in the Find dialog.
    2. Click in any field of any banking transaction which is not a split.
    3. Press Ctrl-F.
    4. The Find dialog will open with the field to find and the value you pointed at.

The rest of your scheme is so over-complicated IMHO that I don't even want to try to go there.

[Merged Post]

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30

the Find (Ctrl+F) dialog box is unwieldy, requiring a mouse click at the left, or SEVEN tabs, to get to the "Field" name field

Or two Shift-Tabs, which go backwards. Or the faster method I mentioned above.

[Merged Post]

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• chuckerdon
    chuckerdon Member ✭✭

I agree with most comments about ability to move / reorder within the split entry fields, for those mentioned reasons. I would like to be able to cut and paste within any field in the register. Only way I'm aware is to cut / copy the entire registry entry (date, payee, amount, cat, tag, etc). Just a simple cut / paste ability to move any text to any field.

Thx

Quicken Classic Business & Personal, user since early 1990's

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1

@chuckerdon

Go to Edit > Preferences > Setup and select Windows standard for Keyboard mappings. Then Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, and Ctrl-Z will work for fields as they normally do in Windows applications.

QWin Premier subscription
  • BrianO
    BrianO Member

I would really like to be able to reorder the lines in Split Transactions! I had it arranged just the way I like but then my employer changed vendors for the payroll statement and not it's a real chore to bounce around and make sure things are updated correctly. I'd like to be able to drag lines within the Split Transactions box to change their order. Cut and paste would be acceptable, but being able to drag them would be best.

Thanks, Brian