R42.8-R42.21 - Tags are deleted after One Step Update - might be Mobile SYNC related.

Answers

• rjshupehelp
    rjshupehelp Member ✭✭
    @Smokeyham I only use the Windows version, and never Quicken Mobile and Web
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    From your comment I take it that you are experiencing the loss of tags from transactions even though you only use Quicken to get updates from your financial institutions?

Even though you don't use Quicken mobile or web you might want to double check that a sync to those services is not being done automatically [Edit/Preferences/Mobile and Web -- Check that sync is set to "OFF."
  • rjshupehelp
    rjshupehelp Member ✭✭
    Yes, I'm the originator of this thread.
    This is a step in the right direction! After turning off Sync to Mobile and Web tags are no longer being erased by One Step Update.
    However, OSU is now functioning erratically. Some accounts are being updated and others aren't. OSU doesn't show any errors, it just doesn't download any new transactions from some accounts.
    On those accounts it's necessary log in and export transactions to Quicken.
    Hope this helps Quicken developers to isolate and fix this problem.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    > @rjshupehelp said:
    > Yes, I'm the originator of this thread.
    > This is a step in the right direction! After turning off Sync to Mobile and Web tags are no longer being erased by One Step Update.
    > However, OSU is now functioning erratically. Some accounts are being updated and others aren't. OSU doesn't show any errors, it just doesn't download any new transactions from some accounts.
    > On those accounts it's necessary log in and export transactions to Quicken.
    > Hope this helps Quicken developers to isolate and fix this problem.

Sorry to hear that One Step Update is now functioning erratically. Hopefully staff at Quicken can get all of the issues resolved in their next update.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rjshupehelp,
    When the One Step Update asks for your Vault password, enter the password and click on Settings. Are all the accounts you want to update listed? Are they checked?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mjcainks
    mjcainks Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    The other day I tried to change a tag and its description. Next time I got into quicken the tag had disappeared and the associated transactions showed up as unclassified. I have verified and super verified my datafile and turned off mobile sync. I add a new test tag, it shows up and I can use it and it shows in reports, but next time I go into quicken the new tag has disappeared and the transactions are again unclassified. Is this a known issue?
  • rjshupehelp
    rjshupehelp Member ✭✭
    @Jim_Harman Yes to both questions. My Synchrony credit card accounts do not update. I tried Reset Account on one of them but received a CC-502 error and now can't access the account via Quicken at all. The CC-502 error has persisted for over 18 hours now.
  • rsylgy
    rsylgy Member
    I am running Quicken Home, Business, & Rental Property Version 42.8 and my tags are being removed even after I spent the 2 hours to restore them in 4 accounts.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @mjcainks,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!
    (CTP-4069)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mjcainks
    mjcainks Member ✭✭
    Thank you.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    > @rsylgy said:
    > I am running Quicken Home, Business, & Rental Property Version 42.8 and my tags are being removed even after I spent the 2 hours to restore them in 4 accounts.

FYI - Once you have them restored the tags you might want to do a backup (File/Copy or Backup/Complete Backup). Then it is very quick to restore the file with your tags (File/Restore from your backup). if you lose them again.
  • Jim_Harman
    @rsylgy,

Did you check to make sure that Syncing to the web is turned off? 
    After restoring a backup that still has Tags set correctly or correcting them manually, go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web and make sure Sync is set to "OFF." If you have corrected the Tags manually, be sure to back up your data file before proceeding.

The working theory is that disabling Sync will prevent the Tags from being cleared when you do a One Step Update. Please let us know if that works for you.
  • William Crawford
    William Crawford Member ✭✭
    I too have this problem. Disappointing that no alert was sent out to ALL users. Tags are very important for proper financial reporting to many!
  • William Crawford
    William Crawford Member ✭✭
    If there is no backup prior to the 42.8 update then I presume there is no recovery. Right?
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    > @William Crawford said:
    > If there is no backup prior to the 42.8 update then I presume there is no recovery. Right?

Basically, yes I believe you are correct. You might check to see if Quicken automatically backed up for you (as opposed to you hitting CTRL + B [on Windows]).

Go to File/Restore a backup to see if there is a list of backup files there.
  • Jim_Harman
    Look in the Backup folder inside the folder where your Quicken data file is stored (normally Documents\Quicken\BACKUP).

There should be a file with a name like
    <your file name>-<version you were running before the update>-<date of update>.QDF-backup

My file is 
    JLH-R-41.19-2022-07-12.QDF-backup.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Has anyone heard any updates about a solution for this issue?
  • rjshupehelp
    rjshupehelp Member ✭✭
    I haven't seen a solution yet. But I haven't lost tags since turning off Sync in Quicken Mobile & Web. I also can't download transactions from Synchrony Credit Card Bank, but manual export from their websites works. I don't know if the two issues are related. It may even be a possibility that downloading Synchrony transactions via One-Step Update caused the tag problem.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    @rjshupehelp

Thanks for the response. Initially I also wondered if downloading transactions from my financial institution was the cause of the problem, but I am able to do that now without losing tags. Like you, having turned off Sync in Quicken Mobile and Web, I no longer lose tags.
  • mjcainks
    mjcainks Member ✭✭
    @"Quicken Anja"
    Just to be clear, simply editing a couple of tags (classes) has resulted in a pretty huge mess for me with 32 years of transaction history. It will take a long time to clear up once I am confident the problem has been resolved; it is a mystery to me how I will know when this bug has been addressed.
  • vbirdg
    vbirdg Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. Tags on transactions are deleted after one step update.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    > @mjcainks said:
    > @Quicken Anja
    > .......it is a mystery to me how I will know when this bug has been addressed.

When the next update is released I will be reading the release notes to see if there is any mention of the tag problem being fixed.

Every so often (having been sure to have done a backup) I will try syncing to Quicken Mobile and Web to see if the problem is resolved.
  • wmdave
    wmdave Member
    All my tags are gone from the register, if I go to "Tools"; "Tags" some are still there and some are gone. I've loaded several Backups and it's the same with them without doing a backup.
  • Steelpirate
    Steelpirate Member
    I am experiencing the tag loss as well. I am running R42.8 Build 27.1.42.8. Oh my gosh. What in the heck is going on?
  • thquick
    thquick Member ✭✭
    I just discovered that almost all my tags are missing, too. I had tags on thousands of transactions, using tags as a major component of my data management in Quicken. For Quicken to have deleted them is a catastrophic data corruption introduced by Quicken itself. It calls into question whether it is possible to continue to entrust important data to Quicken. This may drive me to switch everything to Tiller if Quicken can't get it fixed quickly and provide support for recovering the data they've destroyed. I can restore from a backup back before they destroyed my tags, but that means I've got to reenter everything since then -- a painful and laborious undertaking. Even then if they haven't fixed the problem my tags are at risk of being deleted again. I don't know whether turning off sync to web & mobile is sufficient. Even if that is a workaround for this particular data destruction, what will be the next situation in which Quicken just destroys years of my data?
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @thquick

I agree.... The underlying problem is if we don't feel our data is safe then we will migrate to another system where we have a better assurance that it is. Quicken needs to solve this problem quickly to rebuild trust.
  • sahuff
    sahuff Member ✭✭
    I lost all my tags from over 20 years of Quicken tracking. Can I get those tags back? How?
  • sahuff
    sahuff Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    > @thquick said:
    > I just discovered that almost all my tags are missing, too. I had tags on thousands of transactions, using tags as a major component of my data management in Quicken. For Quicken to have deleted them is a catastrophic data corruption introduced by Quicken itself. It calls into question whether it is possible to continue to entrust important data to Quicken. This may drive me to switch everything to Tiller if Quicken can't get it fixed quickly and provide support for recovering the data they've destroyed. I can restore from a backup back before they destroyed my tags, but that means I've got to reenter everything since then -- a painful and laborious undertaking. Even then if they haven't fixed the problem my tags are at risk of being deleted again. I don't know whether turning off sync to web & mobile is sufficient. Even if that is a workaround for this particular data destruction, what will be the next situation in which Quicken just destroys years of my data?
  • sahuff
    sahuff Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. I have over 20 years of data that is now questionable. Why didn't Quicken notify us of this change?
  • sahuff
    sahuff Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello @mjcainks,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.
    >
    > This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.
    >
    > Thank you!
    > (CTP-4069)
This discussion has been closed.