Chase Update email - new connection is ready

Received the following e-mail from Quicken:

Your new Chase connection is ready!
Quicken has partnered with Chase for a faster, more reliable connection.
You can expect fewer download errors and more reliable service—all through a more secure connection.
Update your Chase connection now.To continue downloading your Chase banking, Credit Card, or Mortgage accounts, you will need to update the Chase connection in Quicken.
Complete the update by September 26, or your Chase accounts will stop refreshing in Quicken.
BUT when I tried to update connection is continue to get the message that still waiting for the update.

Is the e-mail fake or what is up?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @magoodm,

Unfortunately, after you make the switch to EWC+ for your Chase account(s), the only method that will be available after to pay your bills using your Chase account(s) will be to use Quicken's Check Pay service.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• inspectort
    inspectort Member ✭✭
    Got the same message with the same results!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Hi @GIWalt and @inspectort

The message is NOT fake.  The connections of all Chase accounts will be transitioned to a new connection method (being called EWC+) for all Quicken users, over the next several weeks.  I suggest that you follow the instructions in the email you received.

If you have any problems with the transition process, do not hesitate to contact Quicken Support for assistance.  Here's a LINK to Support.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    Just opened Quicken and a new pop-up message appears that says (I am paraphrasing here) the Chase update is being rolled out and I will be prompted to update Chase when its my time to do so...
  • GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Thanks FrankX.  The e-mail suggests that the update is good to go now.  See the e-mail I posted above where it says "Update your Chase account now" but in Quicken I get a popup that says I will be prompted in Quicken when its time to update.  So, confused about when it's "my turn"...
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @GIWalt,

Thanks for the additional information.  Based on that, it seems that there may be some timing issues and/or communication problems affecting the roll-out of the transition process.

If you can continue to successfully update your accounts, I would suggest that you continue using the "old" connection method.  If, however, you are no longer able to connect to Chase with one or more of your accounts, I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support.  My understanding is that Q Support is up-to-speed on the transition process and I expect that they will be able to get your connection(s) restored.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @GIWalt .. what does each of your Chase accounts say at the top of the Register - 
    Direct Connect - or Express Web Connect 
    (or whatever the Mac versions are) 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    Let me clarify.  My Chase Account is linked to Quicken (has been and never stopped).  The Chase E-bill, however, is not linked and I am still unable to link it so I can pay Chase through Quicken.  If I try to link the bill or even add the Chase E-bill I get the message that E-bills to Chase are not supported at the moment but are being worked on.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note to Windows SuperUsers, you are in a Mac thread.  Quicken Mac doesn't call these connections "Express Web Connect" and they don't have the "Plus".  It is called Quicken Connect on Quicken Mac.

And hopefully a Mac SuperUser will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any way on Quicken Mac to see if the connection type is the "old" Quicken Connect or the "new" Quicken Connect (on Quicken Windows these are Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect +).

To the others in the thread.  I certainly can't fix you problems, but let me point out that the ability to pay bills through Quicken, through Chase's bill system is dependent on Direct Connect.  Once you change from Direct Connect you have to go with the "Quicken Bill Manager", which is a third party service that is use for bill paying.  It works differently than what Chase/Direct Connect provides.   Here is a link on it.  It is "Windows only", but for the most part is the same if you change the terms Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + to Quicken Connect.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7916268/my-explanation-of-the-different-term-services-that-quicken-has-provides-and-provided-in-the-past

BTW my real suggestion would be to hold out on Direct Connect for as long as possible.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    Mac has three connection types:  Quicken Connect (from Quicken), Direct Connect (from Chase) and Web Connect (manually download and import).  Paying bills through Quicken is through QuickPay which, at least for Mac, I don't believe is dependent on the type of connection.  In my case, my Chase account connects to both Quicken Connect and Direct Connect.  However, I am still unable to use QuickPay to pay Chase because the Chase e-bill will not link to Chase regardless of how the account is connected.  In short, my issue for the moment is I still cannot link to the Chase ebill.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @GIWalt QuickPay sounds like what Quicken Windows is calling Quicken Bill Manager.  It is the third party service for paying bills and is dependent on the third party service being able to log into the "biller's" website to schedule a bill, so it is a "pull system" where the biller "pulls" the payment from the credit card/checking account.

"Bank Bill Pay" for Quicken Windows use the Direct Connect/OFX protocol to talk directly to the financial institution's Bill Pay system, and works like a GUI for that system.  It is a "push system" where you are scheduling things in the bank's bill pay system to go out to the biller.

Note that for Quicken Windows the connection types are:
    • Web Connect (download QFX file and import).
    • Express Web Connect.
    • Express Web Connect +.
    • Direct Connect.
    Signature:
  • GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris.  Hopefully, Quicken will chime in here.  My ability to pay Chase through QuickPay stopped when the the Quicken connection to Chase was cut off in early July.  Maybe QuickPay needs some time to catch-up.  Bottom line is the Chase e-bill issues apparently are not yet resolved at least on the Mac side.  Hoping someone at Quicken can confirm and provide an update.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @Chris_QPW - sorry … was flipping between the Mac and Windows postings on the EWC+ migration … and didn’t know the common terms. 

Note to Windows SuperUsers, you are in a Mac thread.  Quicken Mac doesn't call these connections "Express Web Connect" and they don't have the "Plus".  It is called Quicken Connect on Quicken Mac.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @GIWalt,
    GIWalt said:
    My ability to pay Chase through QuickPay stopped when the the Quicken connection to Chase was cut off in early July.  Maybe QuickPay needs some time to catch-up.  Bottom line is the Chase e-bill issues apparently are not yet resolved at least on the Mac side.  Hoping someone at Quicken can confirm and provide an update.
    Please be advised that Chase eBill and Quick Pay are no longer supported. The only method to pay Chase using Quicken Bill Manager services now is to set up a manual bill reminder for Chase and pay it with Check Pay. Please refer to this Community Announcement for more information on this specifically.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Thank you for the explanation.  That means that I got it wrong "Quick Pay" must have been the equivalent of "Bank Bill Pay" on Quicken Windows, not Quicken Bill Manager.  Do I have that right @Quicken Anja?
    Signature:
  • Quicken Anja
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Quicken Anja Thank you for the explanation.  That means that I got it wrong "Quick Pay" must have been the equivalent of "Bank Bill Pay" on Quicken Windows, not Quicken Bill Manager.  Do I have that right @Quicken Anja?
    Quicken Bill Manager is the service "title" that refers to Online bills (or eBills in Mac), Quick Pay, and Check Pay. The service and terms used (besides eBill) are the same on both Windows and Mac. They're basically the service that replaced Quicken Bill Pay after it was discontinued. Bank Bill Pay is using the financial institution's Bill Pay service to make payments in Quicken through Direct Connect. This is also the same on both Windows and Mac.

I hope this clears up some confusion, but let me know if you still have questions! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Anja:  Few comments/questions.  Your post suggests that the Chase eBill situation is of a permanent nature.  You state it is "no longer supported" but you don't suggest this is temporary in nature.  That said, Chase is still listed in Quicken under "Add eBiIl" and when you try to add Chase or connect an existing Chase bill the message states Quicken is "working to restore" Chase eBill connectivity.  So, it would appear that the ability to add/link Chase Accounts to Quicken is being restored (per the e-mail received today and the pop-up in Quicken) BUT the Chase eBill's continue to be unavailable.  Is this a correct summary and, if not, please advise where this is inaccurate.  Also, please advise if Quicken is, in fact, "working to restore" Chase eBill connectivity.  Appreciate your efforts here.  I am just trying to understand what is being fixed and what is not.
  • Quicken Anja
    @GIWalt As I understand it, currently it is considered unsupported though I believe our teams are working to find a "new" way to track Chase eBills in the future as Quicken for Windows now offers an alternate way to track Chase credit card bills through EWC+. However, there is no ETA on when exactly that will occur.

You can find more info and instructions on this in this support article as well. In the meantime, I have reached out to other internal channels for clarification on this. If I receive any further details and information on this, I will post again to update.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you.
  • Quicken Anja
    You're welcome!

-Quicken Anja

• magoodm
    magoodm Member ✭✭✭
    It's still not clear what will happen to Bank Bill Pay after the change. Will that feature be gone permanently when there is no longer Direct Connect or will we be able make Bank Bill Pay payments within Quicken via Chase with EWC+?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    magoodm said: ... will we be able make Bank Bill Pay payments within Quicken via Chase with EWC+?
    Nope - the EWC world does not support the 2-way transaction sharing upload/download like Direct Connect

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @magoodm,

Unfortunately, after you make the switch to EWC+ for your Chase account(s), the only method that will be available after to pay your bills using your Chase account(s) will be to use Quicken's Check Pay service.

Frankx

• magoodm
    magoodm Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I wonder if EWC+ technology simply doesn’t allow 2-way communication or if it just needs to be implemented sometime in the future. Having to pay bills on the Chase website is easy, but then having to enter the same transaction in Quicken and match the two later after downloading is a lot of extra work.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @magoodm Express Web Connect was designed as a one way communication, and it highly unlikely that will ever change.

EDIT Added more information.

Note that Direct Connect was Quicken talking directly to the financial institution using the OFX protocol.  Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect on the other hand is:
    Quicken syncs with the Quicken server/Quicken cloud data set, which in turn talks to the Intuit server, which in turn talks to the financial institution's web site.

As you can see from the flow, changes would have to be made at each of those places to allow for a two way communication.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    magoodm said:  Having to pay bills on the Chase website is easy,
    but then having to enter the same transaction in Quicken
    and match the two later after downloading is a lot of extra work.
    I used to implement the 2-step process
    before I discovered that Quicken could "Send" payments to the Chase website bill payment feature.
    I created Quicken Reminders for the bill payments - makes the matching effort simple
    1 - then would enter the Reminder payment into my checking Register.
    2 - go over to the Chase website and actually double entry the actual payment from the checking account
    3 - when cleared/posted - it would get downloaded and "Match" the existing Quicken entry.
    After Direct Connect is retired.... I'll just go back to my double entry 2-step process.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• I guess I’m having trouble understanding why Chase made this change requiring me to do extra work whenever I pay one of my Chase credit cards and scarier, whether others are likely to follow suit.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I’m having trouble understanding why Chase made this change requiring me to do extra work whenever I pay one of my Chase credit cards and scarier, whether others are likely to follow suit.
    I say the main two reasons are because Quicken users are a drop in the bucket and because of cost incurred for that drop.

Quicken users tend to believe that they are such a large group that a given financial institution should go out of their way to support them, but in truth they are very small percentage of a given financial institution's customers.

Supporting Direct Connect isn't free, and it is basically only used by Quicken and maybe some small personal finance programs that are faking like they are Quicken.

On the other hand the financial institutions have gone to "aggregators".  Express Web Connect from Intuit only being one of many.  Do you know that you can go into your Chase accounts and link accounts from other financial institutions?  That is done through one of these aggregators.

So unfortunately "aggregation" has become sort of standard, not Direct Connect for this kind of exchange of information.  The biggest problem as far as the financial institutions are concerned is that there isn't an standard on how these aggregators access the financial institution's data, and also the fact that these financial institutions are caching the usernames and passwords to do it.

The + part implies that Intuit's connection to the financial institution will be done with a standard protocol that uses a rotating token instead of your username and password, which makes it much more secure than then when using the less secure forms of aggregation.  One can argue that Direct Connect is as secure or more secure, but it doesn't matter, what they are comparing to is the "other aggregators" like "standard Express Web Connect" which do cache the usernames and passwords on their servers (even if they are encrypted).

As for paying bills.  Well the aggregators never did that and as such that functionality never made it into the new protocol.  Once Direct Connect is dropped then bill pay has to go through yet another non standardized/third party or better yet you should just use the Chase bill pay directly.  Or do what I do and just setup bills to be paid automatically from my credit card or need be checking account by doing that at the biller's website.

There is one advantage of Express Web Connect + over Direct Connect and that is you can authorize at the account level, not just all or none.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    SOOOOO many Chase threads hard to know where to post any longer. So...
    I got the OSU pop-up  today to reauthorize. Just like when trying before this pop-up, Quicken opens Chase in the browser, i go through all the steps and then arrive at a blank broswer screen (still) and Quicken reports Sign in To Chase failed. (I can list all the steps, but why at this point)
    Does this happen to anyone else? The blank screen?
    Then Chase send a confirmation email - but NEW information in several ways here:
    The emails says:
    So it is not seeing the two exisitng accounts I selected.
    The blank page has errors hidden:

So I am now believing that the error I get is a Quicken issue.
    I tried logging in to Chase first, selecting all accounts, even closed accounts, always get that blank screen. Curious why that is not reported more!
    I have been told by support NOT to deactivate the existing accounts first.

Sorry about below. I think a cut and paste table will not go away below.

• I'm getting the blank Chase screen also when Quicken attempts to log into Chase. It just sits there with only a Chase logo at the top. Quicken acts as if something is happening, even warning me when I cancel out after the inactivity that I will have to start over.

Can we add a new copy of the account and use our old data?
  • Blank screen URL starts with:
    https://secure07c.chase.com/web/auth/thirdparty/authorize?response_type=code&scope=aggregator&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fpartnerauth.platform.intuit.com
This discussion has been closed.