Provide ability to add STOCK INDICES to Investing's "Portfolio" (graph) view... (1 Merged Vote)

Joachim G Ruehle
Joachim G Ruehle Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
As way to help benchmark the performance of one's investments, it would be extremely useful if one could select one or more stock indices (i.e. S&P/TSX Composite Index; Dow Jones Industrial Average; S&P500; Nasdaq Composite; Nasdaq-100, etc.) to be shown in Quicken for MAC's "Portfolio" (graph) view.
Tagged:
42 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation, however, there is no ETA on when this will be available. QMAC-5266

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    I've been using Quicken for a long time (15 years?) and only for investment tracking.  I like all my accounts and even banking now (thanks for fixing that) all on one home page.  Quicken is a very good portfolio manager for people like me.  I evaluated many over the years and keep coming back to Quicken.

Suggestions:
    Porfolio graphic would be more useful to investor if you could overlay an index (S&P, DJIA, maybe even some basket of stocks).  You can then compare your performance to that index or metric.

As an investor, I often wish I could remember specific events and how they affected my stock portfolio.  On the same portfolio graphic as mentioned above I would love to be able to put annotations on the graph so I could see where I bought and sold things or when a major news event caused a change in overall value.  It would require a way to manually input small text descriptions by date so that it could be overlayed on the portfolio graph.  You could have checkboxes for your choice of newsfeeds or personal events to be overlayed.  This would come in handy I think.

You removed the feature where I can click on a stock holding and be directed to a web drill-down on that stock.  I miss that even though the site you provided was limited.  I can foresee a way to specify my default site (finance.yahoo.com or even eTrade) and when I click on that stock (or symbol) name, it would open a browser to a stock detail page on that site.

Thanks for continuing to mature the Mac version.  I hope to see more parity with the Windows version over time.  I miss the credit score and portfolio xray features.

• Chad Thomas
    Chad Thomas Member ✭✭
    I consider the addition of comparative market indices to be not an OPTION but a necessity. I cannot effectively use Quicken to check the market without something to compare it to. I see it is in Windows. Please please add to Mac version.
  • joel cohen
    joel cohen Member ✭✭
    I am in full agreement... I have tried to add this to my list... I even spoke to support without an answer from them...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @joel cohen and others interested in this functionality: More people need to vote for this idea for it to rise up to get the attention of the developers. That's not to say it's not already somewhere on their roadmap of planned features, but topics that draw higher vote totals here are sent to the development team for evaluation and may get implemented sooner. 

To vote for this or any idea post on this site, go up to the first post in this thread, and in the blue box under the text of that post, click the little gray arrow under the vote counter; the count will go up by one, and the arrow subtlety shifts from gray to black to indicate you've voted.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Loquatious
    Loquatious Member ✭✭
    Add a way to display index values (DJI, S+P) to Investing-Portfolio view. This would simulate the Windows Quicken UI.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Loquatious,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bd1223
    bd1223 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    It would be great to have an investment view where one could overlay a benchmark, such as the SP500 or any other ticker for that matter, on top of a portfolio's historic performance.

Also, any more robust investment reports would be appreciated. It's my understanding that many more are available in Quicken for Windows.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @bd1223,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• jacobs
    @bd1223 Now that your request regarding market indexes has been merged into this existing thread, be sure to add your vote for it by scrolling to the top and clicking the black arrow under the vote counter in the yellow box.

Regarding other investment reports, there are a few other Idea threads requesting such functionality. If you haven't already done so, I'd encourage you to add your vote to a couple of the requests for this functionality: here and here. It surprises me that these haven't attracted a large number of votes, which is partly to blame for this not being higher on the developers' priority list. More votes can help make investment reports a higher priority on the developers' roadmap!
  • Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• jacobs

Modern Quicken Mac, since its debut in 2014, has had 11 Index securities by default. It has been downloading quotes for each of these Indexes for all that times. Yet there has never been a way to display or use the Indexes to compare to individual securities or accounts or investment group performance. So it would seem the original developers intended to do something with these Index securities — and that's what this idea is about. We just need the developers to unlock this functionality!

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

I find it interesting that you have all these requested features for Quicken Mac and the comments always mention "Quicken Windows has it". But they also fail to mention that in a lot of cases, the feature doesn't work correctly or has been basically abandoned.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/