Thanksgiving Dishes: Favs and Icks...

Quicken Anja
Quicken Anja Moderator mod
edited December 2022 in The Water Cooler
The holiday season is upon us and with it, we bring you your November Icebreaker!

While we all know the traditional dishes that come with Thanksgiving, let's discuss our favorites and maybe even not-so-favorites.

The dishes I definitely look forward to every year are ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, mac and cheese, collard greens, and lumpia. I know lumpia is not typically traditional, but my mom's side is Filipino and we serve this for any special occasion. The dishes I'm not so fond of and usually won't touch are green bean casserole and yams.

Please share your own Thanksgiving favs and icks! :)

-Quicken Anja
Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TURKEY, mashed potatoes & gravy, mac & cheese.  I actually like the green bean casserole & yams.
    AND, absolutely required are a Pinot Noir or a Johannesburg Riesling (i.e. a dry Riesling).
    Can't think of anything, that's served at my house or my parent's, that I don't like.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone,

I third the mashed potatoes and gravy, and mac and cheese doesn't seem to happen as often at the gatherings I attend, which is odd, because it would fit in great. I might have to try to make that happen this year. Can't say I'm fond of anything that has whole cranberries in it... I know, I know, it's a staple; something about the skins of cranberries just puts me off. Not huge on coleslaw either, which always seems to emerge for some reason. To end on a positive note, I'll go back to the 'Favs:' My relatives also make a lot of their own breads and rolls, and those always turn out amazing. Some of them even make potato bread, which I imagine is sort of a longstanding tradition, given that most everyone from my Dad's side of the family were potato farmers up until around the time of the Dust Bowl or so. 

I hope everyone has a great time with family as the season picks up toward the end of the month, and I am eagerly awaiting more food ideas for Thanksgiving.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited November 2022
    Hey! 

Oh boy, I am not a picky eater so there really is not anything that I won't at least get a little taste of. However, my top favorites would have to be mashed potatoes (my mom makes delicious ones that have ranch seasoning and lots of cheese mmmm!), PIE (of course), and turkey completely doused in brown gravy! 

Branching off of what NotACPA said, if we are involving alcohol then I sure do love mimosas as a pre-thanksgiving drink, when you are enjoying the snacks and appetizers, then a nice IPA or a glass of just champagne or sparkling wine will do the trick with the main course!

I can't wait to hear everyone else's!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Agree on all the Favs.  Plus stuffing - but not made inside the bird - with onions, celery, pecans, chicken broth, etc.

My biggest "ick" is anything involving Jello / gelatin.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Thanksgiving????

I have three words only - HOMEMADE APPLE PIE!!

Made, of course, with a recipe that has been handed down for four generations.  And often topped by some vanilla ice cream.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    We do many of the above without any yams or ham (yes to Apple Pie instead).  A few years ago I added a personal favorite to the mix and now everyone including my in-laws keep asking for it: Pan seared dry-rub marinated juicy pork tenderloin!  And then angle slice it in 1.5" filets for serving.  ... I think I'm gonna make that tonite :p
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Gman34798
    Gman34798 Member ✭✭
    Fave would be cornbread stuffing...Ick would be green bean casserole....why would anyone do that to green beans! :D
This discussion has been closed.