More Graphs and Graph types for Q Mac

Options
A Brown
A Brown Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports
there should be more graphs. use sankey or chord graphs to see visual relationships between accounts or accounts to categories. use a line graph with target line of budget.
22 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• blair@
    blair@ Member
    Options
    i don't see any graphs in latest mac version
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2022
    Options
    blair@ said:
    i don't see any graphs in latest mac version
    @blair@ There are some  graphs, but not enough to satisfy the wishes of many Quicken Mac users. 
    • On the Home > Overview screen, you see a pie graph of Spending by Category, and bar graphs of Spending Over Time and Net Income
    • On the Home > Dashboard screen, you see a pie graph of Spending by Category
    • On investment accounts or groups, on the Portfolio screen you see a line graph of market value over time
    • On investment accounts or groups, on the Dashboard screen you see pie graphs of Asset Allocation and Allocation by Security
    • On the Bills & Income > Projected Balances screen, you see a line graph of projected balances

But there is no way to generate a custom graph, as you can create custom reports. And there is nothing like the relational graphs shown in the attachments to the original post in this thread.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Bobjsml
    Bobjsml Member
    Options
    More Graphs. Quicken graph ability has been reduced with all the updates. it used to support most of excel graph types, now all we get is a pie chart. how a option for more graphs. How can one do financial planning with what is available today!!!
  • jacobs
    Options
    @Bobjsml  Just to be clear, there are no fewer graphs since the modern Quicken Mac came to market 8 years ago. There were only more graphs in the legacy Quicken Mac, for which development ended back in 2006. The current Quicken Mac has been adding some graphs in the Investments Dashboard and Home Dashboard over the past year. there's no way to know if more graphing features are coming, but I'd guess they will continue to add graphs as the program continues to mature. 

Bobjsml said:
    How can one do financial planning with what is available today!!!
    I personally prefer to work with the actual numbers for my financial planning, so the absence of graphs is not holding me back. But for those who prefer working with graphs, the answer is to export the data you want to graph, and use your favorite spreadsheet program (Excel or Numbers or Google Sheets) to graph the data in whatever format you prefer.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against Quicken adding more charting capabilities; I'm only saying that the absence of more graphs shouldn't hold anyone back from financial planning. :)
  • AndrewG
    AndrewG Member ✭✭
    Options
    > I personally prefer to work with the actual numbers for my financial planning, so the absence of graphs is not holding me back. But for those who prefer working with graphs, the answer is to export the data you want to graph, and use your favorite spreadsheet program (Excel or Numbers or Google Sheets) to graph the data in whatever format you prefer.
    >
    > Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against Quicken adding more charting capabilities; I'm only saying that the absence of more graphs shouldn't hold anyone back from financial planning. :)

The whole idea with graphs is to get a quick easy to read snapshot of our finances. As soon as we have have to export to Excel, it's not exactly quick or easy is it.
  • kohster
    kohster Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add me to the group of people who would definitely like more charts/graphs. I just moved to modern Quicken from Quicken 2007 over the weekend, and I'm missing the charts that I used to generate and look at on a regular basis, like Net Worth. At least it looks like Income & Expense is a card on the Dashboard that just got added in one of the latest updates, and that was another chart that I used a fair bit.
  • jacobs
    Options

@kohster They are building out the range of features in the new Home Dashboard. Income & Expense was added in the last update. I'm sure Net Worth will follow. Many users are waiting for the upcomign bills feature to migrate from the old Home Overview page which will be going away to the Home Dashboard page. Currently, the dashboards aren't confirgurable, but there's been a lot of feedback asking for control over things like which accounts are included/excluded, and handling multiple currencies. I thnk you can expect to see enhancements coming to the Dashboard page over a number of the update releases this year.

• Crewdog68
    Crewdog68 Member ✭✭
    Options

I genuinely miss the graphing capabilities of Q2007. Sometimes I want an overview of how things change over time. Numbers are OK but a graph really makes the trendlines easy to spot.

• hbarazi
    hbarazi Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2023
    Options

I also feel that graphs are a very important feature to be able to get an overview of a customized report

• mjk7
    mjk7 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I am using Quicken for Mac Deluxe version 7.2.1 I called and spoke with a tech support person who confirmed that this feature is not available. I would like to be able to create a line graph showing the balance of any account over time. For example, the balance of my checking account on a weekly or monthly basis represented as a line on a graph, similar to a stock price graph. Thank You.

[Merged Post]