Why is my edit button in downloaded transactions not available, it is grayed out?

jdschachte
jdschachte Member ✭✭
I inadvertently accepted a downloaded transaction to an incorrect transaction. I am not able to un-match as suggested in online support: " If the selected transaction may match another transaction, click the Edit button and then choose Unmatch. Quicken attempts to match the transaction again. "

Comments

• Hello @jdschachte,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the edit button greyed out that you described? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please redact all personal information as needed!

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Are you using automatic transaction entry mode where the transactions go directly into the register or are you accepting your transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab?

The instructions on what to do depends on which you are using.
    In the case of using the Downloaded Transactions tab once you hit Accept/Enter that it, it is in the register, and you can't edit it.

EDIT the Edit/unmatch has be used before hitting the Accept/Enter button.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    In order to unmatch a downloaded transaction it needs to have been originally accepted with the Accept All button.  If you used Accept All then right click on one of those transactions and then left click on Undo accept all transactions.  All of those transactions that were accepted during that Accept All process will then be be unaccepted and you will have the opportunity to match them with other transactions, with the same transactions or accept them as new unmatched transactions.
    If, however, you did not originally use Accept All and instead used the Accept button then this unmatching process cannot be used.  For individually accepted transactions, once the transaction is accepted it cannot be unmatched...at least I have not been able to find a way to do that.  The Quicken Support article about this implies this (places the unmatch process before the accept process) but it is not real clear. 
    Personally, I think individually accepted transactions should be able to be unmatched just like when the Accept All button is used.  If that is how Quicken is already supposed to work, then this current situation is a bug and should be fixed.  If it is not a bug, Quicken should consider allowing transactions accepted with Accept to be unmatched just like those that have been accepted with Accept All.
    Because of this inconsistency in Quicken, I will usually use Accept All instead of Accept, even if it applies to just a single transaction.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used the Downloaded Transactions tab in years, so I didn't know there was an inconsistency between Accept All and Accept, but I can't see how one can recommend using Accept All, at least not without stating that one should click on every single transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab and make sure it is correct.  If you don't do that you have no idea what category Quicken is going to assign to each transaction.  And if you do that why not just hit Enter when you are sure of the transaction?

That is another reason I wouldn't have known about this inconsistency, I never used Accept All.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
     I never used Accept All.
    I use Accept All quite a bit. I use it only to accept the last downloaded transaction because it saves me a click as opposed to Accept plus Done. :wink: All other transactions are individually accepted.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Chris_QPW said:
    I haven't used the Downloaded Transactions tab in years, so I didn't know there was an inconsistency between Accept All and Accept, but I can't see how one can recommend using Accept All, at least not without stating that one should click on every single transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab and make sure it is correct.  If you don't do that you have no idea what category Quicken is going to assign to each transaction.  And if you do that why not just hit Enter when you are sure of the transaction?

That is another reason I wouldn't have known about this inconsistency, I never used Accept All.
    I said I "always use Accept All"...I should have said "I usually use Accept All". 
    Since I run OSU daily (sometimes 2X/day) the number of transactions that are downloaded and need to be reviewed is usually at most just 2-3.  When I do my initial review I my main concern is the dollar amount so I'll accept them all if the dollar amounts are OK.  Many of the transactions will have the correct category automatically assigned because of my Memorized Payees settings.  There are some, however, that will need to be corrected, especially when I've done shopping at a store like Walmart and Costco where I'll have to split the category.  If I need to make any category changes I will generally do that after the transactions have been accepted and entered into the register.  It is uncommon for me to have mismatch issues so that is also a reason why I feel comfortable doing Accept All.
    Now, when I'm on vacation I'll often get a lot more transactions downloaded and from Payees that are not yet in the Memorized Payee list.  Then I am more likely to review and accept the transactions one at a time.
    In retrospect, I probably should review and accept each transaction individually but old habits die hard, especially when those old habits generally have worked well for me.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.