Budget Disappeared.

1131415161719»

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @HJFCONEW - I appreciate you were trying to be helpful to the COmmunity, but best if you remove your link from others.  We don't know for sure that the link provides the final, final, final, 47.7 update, we don't know if you inadvertanly passed a virus throught the executable, etc.  Suggest waiting for the update to come though all the official channels so nothing unintended occurs..... I appreciate your spirit. 
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited January 2023
    Hello @Mark1104,

The link that @hjfcfonew posted from the developer's email they received is a direct download link that downloads the latest production version of windows R47.7. This is not a beta release as this version is also available to install from within the Quicken program directly by navigating to Help > Check for updates and in the Mondo Patch article. This release is already live and available to all users.

However, I have gone ahead and replaced the original link in their comment with the link for the Mondo Patch article and left a moderator note as well to ease any concerns.

I hope this clarifies things! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pspottswood
    pspottswood Member ✭✭
    Hopefully this finally fixes the budget issues. However, R47.7 seems to be very buggy. Lots of crashes and issues with overdue reminders.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I can access budgets, but sub cats don't display.  They appear in reports and the category register though.  If its not one thing its another.
    Was able to restore a good file :)
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • Cenolar
    Cenolar Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    The last update I see is from 2022.
  • pspottswood
    pspottswood Member ✭✭
    I just lost my budget again. I have been running version R47.7 since January 25th. I executed a transfer reminder and all data on the Bills and Income window (Projected Balances and Upcoming Bills and Income) disappeared except for the Accounts window on the right. I then went to the Planning tab where Quicken informed me that there was no budget. It was then necessary to force quit Quicken via task manger because the app was non-responsive when clicking on tabs. After reopening, there still was no budget. I was able to restore from a backup created earlier to get the budget back. I then executed the same transfer reminder and did not encounter the same issue.
  • Robert
    Robert Member ✭✭✭
    I just lost my budget again. I have been running version R47.7 since January 25th. I executed a transfer reminder and all data on the Bills and Income window (Projected Balances and Upcoming Bills and Income) disappeared except for the Accounts window on the right. I then went to the Planning tab where Quicken informed me that there was no budget. It was then necessary to force quit Quicken via task manger because the app was non-responsive when clicking on tabs. After reopening, there still was no budget. I was able to restore from a backup created earlier to get the budget back. I then executed the same transfer reminder and did not encounter the same issue.

I stopped using the "Bills and Income" tab months ago and deleted everything in this tab as I was seeing that when using it quicken tended to crash a lot and I was loosing budgets a lot.   After I did this, I do not think I have lost my budget.   I don't know why this is and maybe it is just a coincidence.   Regardless the bill pay functionality in the "Bills and Income" wasn't worth the hassle and quicken has been much more stable for me after giving up on "Bills and Income".
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    CMRATER SAID:
    "I can access budgets, but sub cats don't display.  They appear in reports and the category register though.  If its not one thing its another.
    Was able to restore a good file "

I have yet to download the latest 47.7 fix, as per Kuldeep.  Waiting for confirmation from beta users that it is a reliable fix.  From your note and others, it seems that there remains more work to be done... right?  The Mondo patch seems to have opened up other issues as well?  Reading back... Is the Mondo patch "The Fix" we have all been waiting for?  Hoping for some direction from those corresponding with the Quicken engineers.  Thanks

• mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    mobleyw said:
    CMRATER SAID:
    "I can access budgets, but sub cats don't display. They appear in reports and the category register though. If its not one thing its another.
    Was able to restore a good file "

I have yet to download the latest 47.7 fix, as per Kuldeep. Waiting for confirmation from beta users that it is a reliable fix. From your note and others, it seems that there remains more work to be done... right? The Mondo patch seems to have opened up other issues as well? Reading back... Is the Mondo patch "The Fix" we have all been waiting for? Hoping for some direction from those corresponding with the Quicken engineers. Thanks

yes, 47.7 incorporates the budget fix.

i've experimented in the areas others have reported issues including budget report/subcategories, executing a bill payment reminder for an upcoming bill, poking around in various reports... no problems here. I've been using bill&income steadily for more than a year now and haven't had any problems. a few years ago I had a lot of problems with it. i'd urge folks to do a supervalidate on their files and another habit I've gotten into is restarting my computer once a day to make sure everything clean and clear.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that Kuldeep told me to accept R47.7 and that it contained the budget fix, although the release notes made no mention of it.
  • pspottswood
    pspottswood Member ✭✭
    I can't believe that for a Quicken problem that has been out there for more than two years, that there would not be anything about the fix in the release notes.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I agree.  Very strange.  Perhaps they are not 100% certain and don’t want to claim it’s fixed and then have to retract.  It took them until just recently to add this to their list of acknowledged ongoing issues.  In the meantime the budget loss fix appears to be in R47.7.  I have to admit that I became emboldened with the initial success of the fix.  I mistakenly thought that after whatever ever type of memory management fix they implemented that I could push the software with memory intensive tasks including a lot of category editing and reattempting mobile web with cloud sync (which I have since abandoned).  I believe this caused some sort of category file corruption which prevented my subcategories from displaying in the budget screen.  Fortunately, I was able to restore from one of my frequent backups. I will continue to check budget integrity, conduct frequent backups and file validations for the foreseeable future.  At least we shouldn’t have to use the dummy file process anymore  :)

The fact is that Quicken is a unique full featured comprehensive financial tracking and planning software product.  Therefore it is very complicated and prone to glitches.  My hope is that they use the next year to stabilize the product with a focus on the most fundamental capabilities (e.g., budgeting, downloading without CC 800 errors, etc.) rather than adding extraneous features that may tend to impact the fundamental ones.  I also understand that quicken is written in a somewhat outdated programming language and probably needs to be ported to better one.  If that’s the case, I would be happy for them to simply maintain/support the current product (less if any new features) in the year or two that it might take to put it on more stable long term platform.

All that having been said, I appreciate the fix thus far and especially thank Kuldeep, the developer who worked with us to get this fix implemented.
  • pspottswood
    pspottswood Member ✭✭
    I just lost my budget again. I am running R47.7. I created a on-time transfer reminder. I then entered/executed the reminder and went to the planning tab and received the message "This Quicken file contains no budget able accounts or categories. The budget feature cannot be used at this time". This is the 2nd time that has happened since installing R47.7.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭

Ouch. That is not good news. I sent your post to quicken engineering so that they are aware. Hopefully you’ve also reported these through the program itself, and can retrieve a valid budget backup.
  • pspottswood
    pspottswood Member ✭✭
    I used Quicken to report the issue to Quicken. I also alerted them that since installing R47.7, the program frequently hangs and has to be force closed when I click on "OK" after completing a backup. The last thing I need is problems with backups. However, there is nothing to make me believe the the backups were not successful after encountering this issue.
  • Young216
    Young216 Member ✭✭
    I’ve been a Quicken user since 1995, but have only used the Budget feature since 2017. I have not had any problems with missing budgets, but once I downloaded R47.7, my subcategory descriptions disappeared. The line items with amounts were still showing, but the subcategory titles no longer displayed.

Validate and Super-validate did not fix the issue.

Resolved: I discovered that under the “manage budget categories” dropdown, if I had checked the parent category as well as sub-categories under that parent, only the parent description showed along with the subcategory “Everything Else”. If I unselected the parent, all the subcategory titles reappeared in my budget.

Before R47.7, I was using “Everything Else” as my default subcategory for “Other”. “Everything Else” would populate with any transaction that I categorized with the parent title only (i.e. using “Vacation” instead of Vacation: Italy).

Once I unselected the parent in Budget, the “Everything Else” subcategory and its line item disappeared. So I added the subcategory “Vacation: other” under tools: category list. I fully expected I would have to re-categorize all the transactions that I had used the parent “Vacation” to the new subcategory “Vacation: other”, but no. Quicken Budget automatically put all the parent category “Vacation” transactions into a subcategory called “Other Vacation”. (Very strange.)

So now I have a budget that has all the titles for subcategories showing. What I no longer have in my budget display is the parent title showing with the subtotal for all the subcategories, and no Indent for the subcategory titles under the parent line.

Also check under “Budget Actions” drop down, that “Show parent category rollup” under view options is not selected. This also will remove subcategories.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Young216 said:
    I’ve been a Quicken user since 1995, but have only used the Budget feature since 2017. I have not had any problems with missing budgets, but once I downloaded R47.7, my subcategory descriptions disappeared. The line items with amounts were still showing, but the subcategory titles no longer displayed.

Validate and Super-validate did not fix the issue.

Resolved: I discovered that under the “manage budget categories” dropdown, if I had checked the parent category as well as sub-categories under that parent, only the parent description showed along with the subcategory “Everything Else”. If I unselected the parent, all the subcategory titles reappeared in my budget.

Before R47.7, I was using “Everything Else” as my default subcategory for “Other”. “Everything Else” would populate with any transaction that I categorized with the parent title only (i.e. using “Vacation” instead of Vacation: Italy).

Once I unselected the parent in Budget, the “Everything Else” subcategory and its line item disappeared. So I added the subcategory “Vacation: other” under tools: category list. I fully expected I would have to re-categorize all the transactions that I had used the parent “Vacation” to the new subcategory “Vacation: other”, but no. Quicken Budget automatically put all the parent category “Vacation” transactions into a subcategory called “Other Vacation”. (Very strange.)

So now I have a budget that has all the titles for subcategories showing. What I no longer have in my budget display is the parent title showing with the subtotal for all the subcategories, and no Indent for the subcategory titles under the parent line.

Also check under “Budget Actions” drop down, that “Show parent category rollup” under view options is not selected. This also will remove subcategories.
    I had something very similar happen to me at the end of my testing the budget fix.  I associated the problem with known/suspected category corruption during the cloud sync process.  Who knows.  I ended up restoring from a recent file without the problem but it seems you have learned how to control this error?

At this point @Young216, do you still have the problem.  Can you see both parent and subcategories at same time in your budget view?  Thanks.
  • Young216
    Young216 Member ✭✭
    No, in the budget view, I can either display the parent or the subcategory titles. I cannot see both at the same time. If the parent has subcategories, the only way I was able to have the subcategory titles display was to unselect the parent.
    Any category that has no subcategories under it continued to display after R47.7.

Interestingly, if I want to print out a budget report, both the parent and subcategories display just fine in the report.

It's workable for me, so I did not try to restore from a backup file. All my data is stored locally, not on cloud.
  • All my budgets from prior years have disappeared. When creating a new budget for 2023, most category names are not displayed.
  • hjfcfonew
    hjfcfonew Member ✭✭
    I have not lost my budget since V47.7, however, I have similar issues with the categories and category groups; category groups having subtotal for the group on screen with some categories listed with names and others with blank names. One category group is repeated 2 times on screen. The report seems to show everything correctly, however. It is somewhat frustrating, but more livable than losing the budget entirely. I'm somewhat confused by Young216's previous post regarding how to attempt to resolve this. For example, if there is a category group "Entertainment" and a few categories which a re assigned to that category group with budgets for those categories, and there are budget dollars in an "Entertainment" category which has subcategories also having budgets, should the budget dollars in the Entertainment category be instead in a subcategory called "Entertainment - Other"? Would that alleviate the missing category name within the Entertainment category group? Under “Budget Actions” drop down, should “Show parent category rollup” under view options be selected or not selected? I tried making a number of changes before clicking OK and ended up with many blank named rows. Had to revert to a previous backup file. Much safer to try small number of changes and then click OK. Unfortunately, having to live within these constraints is still less than ideal.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I was fortunate enough to restore a file without having to settle for the inability to view budgets with sub-categories or parent category in same screen.  This is unacceptable in my opinion and Quicken development should investigate and resolve in short order.  For all we know another thread has been started for people having to dealing with this issue.  This is another case of a fundamental capability to view budgets by parent and sub-category needs to be addressed before adding new "improvements".  In my case I have had to conclude that the category corruption was a result of reattempting to utilize mobile/cloud web sync.  In addition to the sub-category issue, many of my category secondary descriptions (which I never use) were filled with misc memo data from other transactions.  I think this was directly attributable to could sync (which I have fully turned off) as I have read in other posts that this same corruption was due to cloud sync.  Because I have no use for the secondary category description, I am not intending to bother to try to fix for fear of a greater problem arising, such as the reemergence of the parent/sub-category issue which would really frustrate my ability to refine and edit budgets.

These issues, similar to the budget loss issue, tend to start with a few and then grow to effect more and more members.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a separate discussion underway from other customers.

On a more positive note, the budget seems to be sticking like glue to my file.  When it hangs for a second, I hold my breath, but up until now, R47.7 has been effective at maintain access to my budget, and I was one who constantly lost it until the dummy file work around was introduced late last October.  These issues can be fixed if they put the resources behind it.  Perhaps someone will eventually have to reach out to Eric Dunn directly as was done for the budget loss issue.  He was unaware, but apparently lit a fire with team to resolve.  Shouldn't have to come to that, but that made the difference in the resolution of the 2+year budget flaw.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Just saw this update in the "On Going Issues" post from Quicken Anja regarding the budget issue as a 1/31.
    ONGOING 1/31/23 
    This issue remains ongoing and our teams continue to work toward a solution. No ETA or further details are available at this time, and this Alert will be updated once more information, updates, etc become available.
    We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
    Thank you!
    -Quicken A

Makes you wonder if Quicken communicates among themselves or do they really (officially) believe that the issue has not been resolved????
    Maybe they are seeing the subcategory issues are more widespread?
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, haven't had one day since Nov 4th that quicken actually worked fine on at least 1 out of 3 computers running it!  That does not include the Schwab debacle during the earlier part of last year!  This should not be so complicated.  I need to be able to run 1 quicken data file on 2 computers.  1 laptop for when I travel, and one desktop at home.  I should be able to download from all my accounts on either computer singly as a standalone  NO CLOUD NECESSARY.  CLOUD AS AN OPTION for all of you that like to have everything everywhere for everyone to hack.  No technical responses necessary. I do not care anymore.  Have been using quicken since 1987 and have never seen such a mess in any software company.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rick8, I have read in other posts that Quicken is not meant to be accessed even by file transfers and that it runs into problems.  Over the last year I have taken my laptop on trips with a copy of my quicken file and each time a came home and transferred the file back to my desktop I ran into issues.  As I recall the issues certainly involved OSU but I believe that the problems just resulted in an unstable file.  I think its ok to use to monitor activity but transferring a transported file back to the desktop could spell trouble.  It should work, but it does not appear to.  Unfortunately, using the Quicken cloud has also meant sure trouble for file stability in my experience.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Hello and thank you all for continuing to speak with us about this issue.

We do apologize about the inconvenience this has caused, and we thank you for your patience. This issue with missing Budget information is addressed by the R47 update, which is now live. We advise that you update the software as soon as possible to begin making use of this build. 

We hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.