I can't delete a downloaded transaction that was downloaded as "unknown" type

gbwineman
gbwineman Member ✭✭
I got an investment transaction downloaded that was a correction to shares for a reinvestment a few days earlier. This unknown transaction type freezes my investment account. If I try deleting or accepting it crashes the program. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Assuming this happened "yesterday" (or at least recently) I'd restore the last backup before this download and download again making sure that the download(s) are not being automatically entered into the Transaction List.  You could accept any "known good" transactions and delete the transaction in the Downloaded Transactions list that's causing the problem.  Then make a manual entry that corrects the situation.  One way could be to go back and change the original reinvestment transaction to make the end results correct.
  • gbwineman
    gbwineman Member ✭✭
    I tried that, I can't delete an unknown transaction. The program just freezes up. The transactions are not being automatically entered in the register.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the financial institution associated with the Account and what's the downloading method?  If you ignore that transaction entirely, leave it untouched in the Downloaded Transactions window, do things work properly? 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, can you show us an image snapshot of the transaction as it appears in the downloaded transactions tab?
    If the brokerage downloads a transaction type which Quicken doesn't recognize, you should go into Help / report a Problem, making sure that the OFX log file is included in the submission. After that please contact  Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and report this Online Banking Issue.
    BTW, what version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
  • gbwineman
    gbwineman Member ✭✭
    To answer your questions the brokerage firm is Merrill and I'm on the Premier Version R47.7 Build 27.1.47.7 which should be the latest version. Everything seems to work perfect if I don't touch that transaction. It appeared in a direct download without automatic entry on 1/25/2023. I will contact Quicken on Monday during working hours if not fixed.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited January 2023
    Hello @gbwineman

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

I have forwarded this issue along to my team for further investigation. In order to assist in the process, would you mind providing screenshots of the issue as well as submitting your information logs? You can submit your logs by navigating to Help > Report a Problem. 

If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.  

Please let me know once you have completed these tasks. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• gbwineman
    gbwineman Member ✭✭
    Jasmine, Thanks for reaching out. Yesterday I contacted Quicken support and we thought we resolved the problem after about an hour. Today I noticed that the problem was still there, but actually hiding. When I turned off the automatic entry, there was the transaction again. But, yesterday talking with support gave me some ideas and I went back to my backups and loaded a few days before the 25th and turned on the automatic entry for this account and then updated. The "unknown" entry was back, but I was able to delete it. So now it appears to be good.
This discussion has been closed.