Quicken Mac v6.12.2 can not connect to Quicken Cloud (on macOS High Sierra or Mojave)

Itswindy
Itswindy Member
Well this is frustrating...I bought Quicken for the Mac, download it, installed it from the disc image and launched it. When I click on the Get Started button nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Jeff Strait
    Jeff Strait Member ✭✭✭
    Last month I received an email from Quicken urging me to upgrade to macOS 10.15 or later. The email said "Quicken for Mac v6.12 will be the last release that will continue to run on macOS versions 10.13 and 10.14."

Since I run Quicken on a healthy 11-year old iMac that cannot be upgraded beyond macOS 10.13 I was disappointed, but I decided to upgrade to Quicken 6.12 and to stick with that version for the time being.

That was a mistake. Contrary to Quicken's email, Quicken 6.12 will not continue to run on macOS 10.13. It cannot connect to the Quicken Cloud to confirm that I have an active subscription.

Using the online customer support chat, I asked if I could downgrade back to Quicken 6.11. The answer was no. If I want to continue to use Quicken my only alternative is to retire my faithful iMac and buy a new computer.

If you are running Quicken on an older Mac with macOS 10.13 or 10.14, my advice is to not upgrade to Quicken 6.12. The installer will allow the new version to install on your computer, but you will not be able to use it.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Jeff Strait,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community.
    Using the online customer support chat, I asked if I could downgrade back to Quicken 6.11. The answer was no. If I want to continue to use Quicken my only alternative is to retire my faithful iMac and buy a new computer.
    Apologies for the misinformation you received in the quoted portion above. If you wish to revert back to a previous update release, you most certainly can do so by downloading and installing the version you wish to revert back to from this support article.

Version 6.11 can be found in the blue dropdown menu titled "January 2023".

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Also, if your data file was updated when launched with v6.12, it will not load in 6.11. You can find the automatic backup that was saved just before the conversion at Users > youruserame > Library > Application Support > Backups > Automatic Backups > BACKUP (Pre-Update)...  You would need to restore this to run un 6.11.

HOWEVER, it sounds from your description that 6.12 did run on your Mac but is just not connecting to Quicken Cloud. If that's the case, this is a known issue for some recent installs of 6.12. The solution is to sign out (menu Quicken > Sign Out), then sign back in.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, I'd echo what @RickO wrote. Quicken 6.12 should continue to run on your High Sierra machine — it's the next major release which will not. Follow the advice above and hopefully you'll be back in business. 

If you decide you want to move back to version 6.11, though, it's in your Trash (unless you emptied the Trash since you updated Quicken). It will be named something like "Quicken (611.47347.100).app"; you can leave it named that, or rename it Quicken 6.11.app if you wish.  Any time you update Quicken, it moves the old application to the Trash so it can be retrieved if needed, and it makes a Pre-Update backups of your data file, so you can revert to that if needed. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jeff Strait
    Jeff Strait Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anga, thanks for pointing me to the webpage where I can find older versions of Quicken. I installed Quicken 6.11.3, but I am now having the same trouble that I had with 6.12.2.
    When I try to open Quicken I get a blank window with a "Start Over" button at the bottom. Pressing that button does nothing. I cannot sign in. Quicken thinks that I do not have an active subscription.

According to my account on the Quicken website my subscription renewed automatically yesterday and should be valid for another year. My credit card company notified me of the charge. Maybe the problem is not with version 6.12, but with the subscription renewal process. I will call on Monday to see if they can get my subscription straighten out.
  • Jeff Strait
    Jeff Strait Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Ricko and @jacobs. Yes, I seem to be unable to connect to the Quicken Cloud to confirm my active subscription. I tried the sign out and sign back in routine, but it does not work for me, both with Quicken 6.11 and 6.12. Apparently the problem is not with 6.12, but with the connection to the Cloud.

For the record I have been using Quicken for over a decade and am a big fan. I hope to iron out this problem and to continue using version 6.11 or 6.12 on my faithful iMac.
  • RickO
    Jeff, If you are getting a message that your subscription is not active, then you are correct that contacting Support on Monday is the way to get that addressed.
  • Jeff Strait
    Jeff Strait Member ✭✭✭
    Update:  This morning I telephoned Quicken customer support.  My annual subscription renewed three days ago and is active.  Still Quicken is unable to connect to the Quicken Cloud to confirm my active subscription.  The well-informed customer support agent informed me that Quicken no longer supports connection to the Quicken Cloud for macOS 10.13 High Sierra.  Thus it is not possible for me to sign in to any recent version of Quicken.  The customer service agent acknowledged that there is no work-around to allow me to access my Quicken data using macOS 10.13.  A newer computer with a newer operating system is my only option.

I tried installing version 6.12.2, version 6.11.3, and version 6.10.3.  In all cases I get a blank white window with a "Start Over" button at the bottom.  Double clicking on that button leads to a message saying "Unable to Connect to the Quicken Cloud."  Closing the window quits the Quicken program.

Quicken has offered misleading information about ending support for macOS 10.13 and 10.14.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-end-support-macos-high-sierra-1013-and-macos-mojave-1014-after-v612

Here they say "Quicken for Mac v6.12 will be the last release that will continue to run on macOS versions 10.13 and 10.14."  Furthermore "You will be able to continue to use Quicken for Mac v6.12 on 10.13 and 10.14 for as long as you want. However, connected services may stop working in the future..."

Quicken 6.12 was released on 2/7/2023.  One needs to be able to connect to the Quicken Cloud to sign in and use it.  Within few days of the 6.12 release connection to the Quicken Cloud ended, rendering Quicken useless on macOS 10.13 computers.  Reinstalling earlier versions of Quicken does not allow one to access the data stored on one's computer.

As a long-time Quicken user I am disappointed with the abrupt end of macOS 10.13 support with no option to stick with an earlier version.  I had hoped to continue using Quicken on my current computer for several months before migrating to a newer computer.

• jacobs
    Hmmm, I'm not sure you got correct information...

First, the Quicken product manager, as well as the messaging in the Quicken app, have been pretty explicit about ending support for High Sierra and Mojave in the next release of Quicken Mac. I don't have a Mac running High Sierra, but I do have one running Mojave — and it continues to work correctly with Quicken 6.12.x.

Second, yours is the only report of this problem with High Sierra that I have seen. While there aren't a lot of Quicken Mac users still using High Sierra, neither are you the only one! ;) I feel pretty certain that if they broke the ability to use Quicken Mac on High Sierra with the 6.12 release, other users would be posting about the same problem.

Third, although you originally stated this was due to your update to version 6.12, you have subsequently indicated this is unrelated to the release of version 6.12, as the same problem occurs with version 6.11. This seems to conclusively show that it's a back-end issue, since 6.11 previously worked fine. 

And fourth, even with the next release, Quicken has stated they are not ending the ability to use Quicken Mac on a High Sierra Mac; they will only be preventing you from upgrading to future releases of Quicken Mac. But you're supposed to continue being able to use version 6.12.x for some time. (Eventually, something will indeed break, but it shouldn't have happened already.)

That all said, it seems there are a couple possibilities. Perhaps the Quicken Cloud team changed something and broke connectivity to the authentication server for High Sierra. But if this is the case, it seems it should be considered a bug because they have not said user of Quicken Mac on High Sierra will be completely shut down and lose access to their data. Or perhaps there's something else going on on your Mac that we haven't yet unearthed.

I have another test for you to try. In your Mac's System Preference, go to Users & Groups and create a new user account, like "Test". Then logout of your current user, and log in to the user Test. Launch Quicken. It won't have access to your data file in this user, so it should have you log into and land on the Let's Get Started screen. Does this work, or do you get the same "white screen of death"?

• Jeff Strait
    Jeff Strait Member ✭✭✭
    @jacobs, thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, the messaging from Quicken is that version 6.12 will continue to run for some time on macOS 10.13, but in my experience the broken connection to the Quicken Cloud makes that impossible right now.  Furthermore it prevents me from accessing my data with an earlier version of Quicken that formerly worked.  Maybe the broken connection is an unintentional bug, but I am unaware of any interest in trying to fix it.  Both the customer service online chat agent and the telephone customer service agent told me that Quicken no longer supports macOS 10.13.

I tried your suggestion of setting up Quicken with a new user account on my iMac.  When I open Quicken I do see a welcome page with a "Get Started" button.  Clicking on that button just leads to the "white screen of death."  There is no way to sign in.

I am giving up on trying to continue with Quicken on my 11-year-old iMac.  Today I loaded the latest version of Quicken on a laptop running macOS 12.  I will miss my venerable iMac's large screen, big keyboard, and mouse.

Thanks again for your comments.
  • RickO
    edited February 2023
    Is this the screen you see on startup?

If so, which option is selected when you click Next? When you say nothing happens, are you saying you click Next and there is absolutely not change to the screen?
  • Itswindy
    Itswindy Member
    This is the screen I get at StartUp.
    Then when I click on Get Started I get a blank screen.
    I've tried multiple times and let it sit for hours thinking maybe something was installing.
    No luck.
    Thank you!
  • Hi,
    I don't know if this is the right way/place to post a support issue, but here goes:

New Quicken user. Signed up & bought a subscription from website. Downloaded Quicken for Mac.

Installed.

On program launch, the "Take A Tour" splash comes up.
    I then clicked the blue Get Started button to the bottom right.

Then, I just get a white window with nothing in it but a gray bar at the bottom that has a phone icon, then "Need Help? Contact Support" and then. a gray Start Over button just to the right of that.

I can't seem to get past this.

When I try Help>My Quicken Account, a screen with some construction icons comes up and says "Unable To Connect To Quicken Cloud".

I have tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find.
    Relaunch, Reboot, De-Install+Re-Install, Second Admin User, Check Internet Connectivity, Log In to Quicken Account, Re-Download & Re-Install.

Nothing seems to change it.

I have Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100) installed on Sierra.
    I also tried Version 6.12 on High Sierra.

Both have the same exact problem.

Not sure why the program will download, install, launch & splash, but get no further than that and report no connectivity on a machine that definitely has it.
  • jacobs
    As you may be aware, version 5.18 was the last version which ran on Sierra; current Quicken Mac does not support Sierra. The current (6.12) release does support High Sierra, but you will not be able to install future updates because this is the last version to support High Sierra.

But that doesn't explain the white screen you are encountering.

Do you have a VPN? That seems to be the most frequent cause of connectivity problems. 

Are you trying to open an existing Quicken data file? Or is there any existing data file on the computer? Try holding down the Shift key while you launch Quicken, to bypass opening any file.
  • RickO
    edited February 2023
    Have you restarted the computer? Have you tried deleting the Quicken.app and install again from a new download of the app? What happens when you click the Start Over button on that 2nd screen?

What version of macOS are you running? It is possible you are running a version that current QMac does not support. High Sierra is the last macOS version support by QMac 6.12.x. 

Is your machine connected to the internet when you launch Quicken? Have you signed into your Quicken account via menu Quicken > Sign In? Are you running a VPN or third party firewall software?

If none of this helps, I think I'd next try starting in Safe Mode and see if works that way. Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

This is not something that I've seen reported elsewhere, so it would seem to be a one off glitch with your system.  
  • Hi jacobs & RickO,
    TYVM for the replies!

jacobs:
    Both systems will allow download, install, launch.
    Both fail same way.

No VPN. FiOS internet. DNS servers set to standard 192.168.1.1, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

No existing data on this OS. Have tried shift+Launch. Same result so far.

RickO:
    Have restarted computer, quit & restarted app, deleted app, downloaded again.

Start Over on second screen makes it go back to the initial splash screen of Car, House, People, etc.

Tried both Sierra and HS. Same behavior.

(Just for test, it would not install on Mountain Lion, but will install & launch on Sierra and HighSierra.)

Even clicked "Check For Updates" in HS and popup said I'm up-to-date with the latest version.

Also tried restarting HS in safe mode. Same behavior.

Last night I ran OnYX standard Automations on Sierra. Didn't fix anything.

Maybe next thing I'll try is that on HS. But the install I have of it is just a tester with nothing on it.

Also tried the "Create new Admin account" angle. No change so far.

Today, tried the Launch & leave on all day experiment, too. Same Result.

Thank you again for your expertise & thoughts so far, though!
  • PS: My screens look exactly like the ones by itswindy.
  • syncrasy
    syncrasy Member ✭✭✭
    I am also experiencing problems after updating to v 6.12 on a High Sierra Mac. I am unable to import .QXF files (even for banks that are disconnected from Quicken online services). I also am unable to connect to My Quicken Account. A blank window is the common symptom to all problems. Behind the blank window is another window with the message, "Unable to connect to Quicken Cloud."

I have talked to multiple support representatives and all have given me the run around, telling me that the problem is my old Mac (High Sierra), and that they “can't guarantee” that 6.12 will work -- despite the fact that Quicken has publicly stated that v 6.12 will run on High Sierra as long as you are willing to do without “new features, stability fixes, or security improvements” (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-end-support-macos-high-sierra-1013-and-macos-mojave-1014-after-v612).

I tried installing an earlier version of Quicken (6.10) on a different Mac as a test but couldn't even create a Quicken file because of the inability to sign in to My Quicken Account (the same blank window and Quicken Cloud error window behind it.)

It appears Quicken has changed something on its (sniffer) servers that has crippled Quicken if the server detects that the Mac is running High Sierra. I consider this a bug and breach of promise (“You will be able to continue to use Quicken for Mac v6.12 on 10.13 and 10.14 for as long as you want.”)

Call support to demand that Quicken fix the bug.
  • syncrasy
    syncrasy Member ✭✭✭
    Follow up question for other users: Is the blank window problem only happening on High Sierra or older systems? Or is it happening on newer Mac systems? I ask, because there's another support topic related to the Quicken Cloud problem. The suggestion is to simply sign out and sign back in again to "resync" the Mac with Quicken's servers. I hesitate to try this because I don't want to risk not being able to sign in again due to a different bug.
  • RickO
    edited February 2023
    I run on macOS Ventura, so this doesn't affect me personally. But it did get me curious. So I created a brand new fresh install of macOS High Sierra and downloaded and installed Quicken there. I am seeing the exact same thing as the other posters here. 

This definitely seems like a glitch with the current version running in High Sierra. Here's a little more info that I was able to glean...

About Quicken reports that I am not a member:

However, the menu item Quicken > Sign In is not present. The menu item Quicken Sign Out, while present, is grayed out:

Clicking menu Help > My Quicken Account results in this screen:

Help > Report a Problem does seem to work, but down not allow attaching screenshots unless signed into a Quicken account.

I have "reported a problem" as best I could without adding screenshots and I'd suggest the other experiencing this issue do the same.

Also BTW, contrary to the title of this topic, Quicken does start on macOS High Sierra. It's just that you can't sign in to access all the functionality that is only available when signed in, such as opening or creating a file.

I should add that the internet, including Quicken.com, is reachable on this machine in Safari and Chrome.
  • RickO
    syncrasy said:
    Follow up question for other users: Is the blank window problem only happening on High Sierra or older systems? Or is it happening on newer Mac systems? I ask, because there's another support topic related to the Quicken Cloud problem. The suggestion is to simply sign out and sign back in again to "resync" the Mac with Quicken's servers. I hesitate to try this because I don't want to risk not being able to sign in again due to a different bug.
    @syncrasy Does your Quicken > Sign Out menu show as grayed out or active? I suspect that if it's active and you do sign out, you will not be able to sign in again. And even if you are presently signed in, the program doesn't act like it because it cannot connect to the Quicken Cloud to verify your account. That, I believe, is the underlying problem with running in High Sierra at the moment: inability for the program to connect to Quicken Cloud for some reason.

Since my test was on a brand new clean install of High Sierra, there is no chance that any third party software, etc. is causing this.
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Itswindy
    Itswindy Member
    Hi Everyone!
    Thank you for the time/effort you have given this! I'm impressed.
    I've attached screen shots capturing the pertinent release info in case that helps.
    RickO you're getting the same results I am.

Jasmine, you asked for "log files". Pls clarify.

Thanks again.
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Itswindy said:

Jasmine, you asked for "log files". Pls clarify.

Thanks again.
    In her message ... with Quicken launched (even though not working) - go to the Help menu > Report a problem, as @RickO did.

Kudos @RickO for replicating.  I have virtual machines with old macOS in them, and was about to do the same with my High Sierra VM.   I have a Mojave VM as well... has anyone reported issues there?  If so, I'll replicate in my VM...

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• RickO
    edited February 2023
    @Itswindy

When you submit using Help > Report a Problem, log files will be included by default. Just don't uncheck those options.

I see from your screenshots that you are running macOS Mojave. The other reports are from High Sierra. So this is new info.

I had QMac v6.5 installed on Mojave. I just allowed it to upgrade to 6.12 and it was working fine. But then I signed out. After signing out, the the Quicken > Sign Out.. menu item is grayed out and there is no way to sign back in. The blank window with the Start Over button is all that's available.

Mojave is the last macOS that ran 32bit apps. Just a total guess, but that may be related.

BTW, the blank window that we are seeing is normally populated with the option to sign in:

For some reason, on Mojave and High Sierra, it's not getting populated and that is the crux of the issue. When I sign out of v6.12.2 on macOS Ventura, the I can sign back in using the window as seen in the above screenshot.

• RickO
    @MontanaKarl  Our posts crossed paths. Yes, just report in Mojave and I replicated there as in my post above.
  • syncrasy
    syncrasy Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    > @RickO said:
    > @syncrasy Does your Quicken > Sign Out menu show as grayed out or active? I suspect that if it's active and you do sign out, you will not be able to sign in again. And even if you are presently signed in, the program doesn't act like it because it cannot connect to the Quicken Cloud to verify your account. That, I believe, is the underlying problem with running in High Sierra at the moment: inability for the program to connect to Quicken Cloud for some reason.
    >
    > Since my test was on a brand new clean install of High Sierra, there is no chance that any third party software, etc. is causing this.

@RickO My Quicken > Sign Out menu shows as active. I'm not going to sign out before this Quicken Cloud bug is fixed. I don't want to create another problem for myself.
  • syncrasy
    syncrasy Member ✭✭✭
    Also, I agree that the title of this topic is not accurate. Someone merged several topics into one topic "Quicken Mac won't start" but the problem I'm reporting is "Quicken Mac won't allow QFX import and creates other problems after updating to 6.12.2."
  • RickO
    edited February 2023
    @syncrasy  You do report the same issue with unable to connect to Quicken cloud and unable to sign in as other posters here. The inability to import QFX files is undoubtedly related since QMac "phones home" when attempting to import QFX to verify that the bank is authorized for that functionality. Solving the inability to contact Quicken cloud in v6.12.2 on High Sierra and Mojave will surely solve the related issues.

I definitely agree you should not sign out. If you do, you will be unable to sign back in and use Quicken most likely.
  • RickO
    @MontanaKarl  I'm curious if this occurs in Catalina or Big Sure. If you have a Catalina VM that you could test in, that would be interesting. I don't have time today to create a Catalina VM to test.
This discussion has been closed.